Where have all the real riders gone?

Tips and Recommendations from Guru Mike Nixon

Moderator: Whiskerfish

hoganJr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Where have all the real riders gone?

Post by hoganJr »

In years past I would ride the '77 the "long way" to and from work whenever the temp was above freezing. I'd stop every couple of miles and hold my gloves against the valve covers to warm my hands up. I rode the '91 for 70 or 80 miles the last two Sunday afternoons. Both times it was sunny and 40 degrees when I left and mid-30s by the time I got home. I've asked Santa for a set of heated gloves this year but just in case I'm searching craigslist and other places for some lined leather drawstring gauntlets.
I enjoy pulling up to an intersection and deciding at that moment which way to turn, but it takes me awhile to arrive at that mindset. Seems like I always want to have a destination in mind before I take off.

HoganJr
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

Well, been a while since I contributed to this thread. But I'll add this example of the kind of rider I used to be and wish I could be again. Not that I condone sustained post-legal speeding. Nor is it merely distance, as in this example, that I am talking about. It's thinking nothing of the kind of ride, the commitment it takes, the hardness of resolve or character or whatever it is. I guess I mean the notion that riding isn't just for weekends....

I had a customer ship his bike to my shop several months ago. Did quite a lot of work to it. Took about eight weeks. When it was done he flew in to get the machine and rode it back home. To San Antonio, TX. Almost 1100 miles. He had a family and a job to get back to, so he wasted no time. He kept in touch along with the way with regular texts and made it home In just 28 hours. What a guy! May his tribe increase! :-)
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...... I rode like that. Used to make the run from Millington Tn to Lancaster NY and back in a 3 day weekend. The last time was double up on a 750F in freezing rain. That broke me of those trips :IDTS: :IDTS: :IDTS:
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Am I still a "real rider"? I still don't drive a car but I have gone less than 2500 Km since I retired at the end of May :-?
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

Whiskerfish wrote:A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...... I rode like that. Used to make the run from Millington Tn to Lancaster NY and back in a 3 day weekend. The last time was double up on a 750F in freezing rain. That broke me of those trips :IDTS: :IDTS: :IDTS:
:)
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

Sidecar Bob wrote:Am I still a "real rider"? I still don't drive a car but I have gone less than 2500 Km since I retired at the end of May :-?
Sidecar Bob, of course. The gist of the thing is how much more we rode when we were younger, and of course, how the new rider demographic has changed. Not my intention to stick labels...
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Yeah. Its just I'm used to winning mileage contests & stuff like that because I drove a bike to work every day (the 'Wing in the summer and the 650 in the winter) and now I take 2-3 weeks to use up a tank of gas....

These days most of my outings are to pick up the mail (3Km round trip) :( , but I did go out in a few inches of snow for that today :-D
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

As a "younger" man, I lived in Florida. Not married, micro cottage on a lake. For about a three year stretch, I didn't own a car. I will say that those times did make me appreciate a roof, windows, heater and windshield wipers. It rains in Florida. A lot.

I like now being able to ride for sheer "fun" rather than necessity.
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

I, and most people that know me, would never have even imagined that a solo 464 miles ride on Threedom trike, in one day, would be added my 67 years old dude, "now I've done it" list on October 6th of this year.
And, It just started out as an impromptu leaf color peeping ride.
Trike engine was running fantastic, exhaust note was music to my ears, and the miles just disappeared.

Riding is very therapeutic for me, in more ways than one!! I should have started riding sooner. ;)
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

gltriker wrote:I, and most people that know me, would never have even imagined that a solo 464 miles ride on Threedom trike, in one day, would be added my 67 years old dude, "now I've done it" list on October 6th of this year.
And, It just started out as an impromptu leaf color peeping ride.
Trike engine was running fantastic, exhaust note was music to my ears, and the miles just disappeared.

Riding is very therapeutic for me, in more ways than one!! I should have started riding sooner. ;)
Good on ya! :)
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Re: Where have all the riding opportunities gone?

Post by mikenixon »

Such great comments/contributions! I have changed the title to better reflect the tone of this thread. And here is a new posting relevant to the topic...

5000 mi in 10 days

I did a lot of riding in my younger days. It was kind of part of my heritage as a mechanic. That is, it seemed natural that I should ride with as much intensity as I wrenched. In those days, motorcycling was a daily lifestyle, not the occasional weekend activity that it is for most today. All of us motorcyclists rode like cars didn't exist, back then. Had friends who thought nothing of doing three states in a day. You know, Ironbutt types. So, invited to a rally in the midwest, I decided to ride the distance from my home in southern California. Took the necessary time off from work, prepped the bike and myself, and took off. Made a beeline more or less through Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Nebraska and Iowa, to the northwest corner of the prairie state, Illinois. That was the first 2,000 miles. After spending a couple of days there, I departed to take the long way home through South Dakota, Montana and Idaho, holing up for a day in Oregon, another 2,000 mile leg. Soon it was time to go home, so I pointed the bike toward California, arriving in San Diego 1,000 miles later. A good 5,000 mile ride, at an average of 500 miles per day, and actually quite a bit more when the non-riding days are subtracted. All told, I managed to put over 40,000 miles on this bike in just the first 18 months I had it. Several trips up and down the west coast figured into it, as did other rallies. I miss riding like that. But as many have reminded us, practicalities being what they are...