Considering the GL1000 Ignition in Particular

Tips and Recommendations from Guru Mike Nixon

Moderator: Whiskerfish

mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Re: Considering the GL1000 Ignition in Particular

Post by mikenixon »

Thank you for the kind comments. I am sure you know that Harley-Davidson's earliest electronic ignitions were optically triggered and that the aftermarket Marteks were also. Today's OEM ignitions with 24 prong timing wheels, individual coils and computerized individual timing of each cylinder are pretty slick. Sounds like you may be bringing this sort of thing to the aftemarket?
C5Paul
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by C5Paul »

I'd like to lie and tell you I am way too old to remember some of that stuff...LOL

In a nutshell PowerArc uses 90 slots, so every 4 degrees of rotation the computer knows whats going on. The ignition multi sparks three full sparks, instead of a shower or short sparks. You can turn it off but I see no reason why you'd want to. There are no external control boxes.
The coil is a section bobbin design and has additional proprietary secrets that allow full saturation faster than any other coil. The software allows us to create a true ignition curve using 10 points on a graph, with 4 different curves built in. The rev limiter is fully adjustable without the use of chips, and exact coil "turn on" is also set using 10 points.

Although I have been in the dealership setting for my entire adult life, I had never come across another product that surpassed my expectations by so much. As owner of C5 Performance (a little family run company) I design new applications, sign up new dealers, solve customer issues, and create online installation guides. We just started manufacturing and selling automotive distributor style ignitions. (Chevy, Dodge, VW, Ford, Chris Craft, etc...)

That's about it Mr. Nixon. We are just a family of gear heads and nothing more. We have customers all over the world and I've met some wonderful and intelligent people like yourself. Thanks again for sharing your own experiences!
Recycled Roadkill
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Recycled Roadkill »

I found it interesting learning the difference between the Martek which is installed on my '77 and the Dyna S installed in the '78. I now have no doubt the both of my Wings would be greatly improved if equipped with the Power Arc but I don't see that happening unless I were to suffer a failure with either. Should I decide to upgrade at some point I believe it would be most beneficial for me to replace the Martek first.
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

C5Paul wrote:I'd like to lie and tell you I am way too old to remember some of that stuff...LOL

In a nutshell PowerArc uses 90 slots, so every 4 degrees of rotation the computer knows whats going on. The ignition multi sparks three full sparks, instead of a shower or short sparks. You can turn it off but I see no reason why you'd want to. There are no external control boxes.
The coil is a section bobbin design and has additional proprietary secrets that allow full saturation faster than any other coil. The software allows us to create a true ignition curve using 10 points on a graph, with 4 different curves built in. The rev limiter is fully adjustable without the use of chips, and exact coil "turn on" is also set using 10 points.

Although I have been in the dealership setting for my entire adult life, I had never come across another product that surpassed my expectations by so much. As owner of C5 Performance (a little family run company) I design new applications, sign up new dealers, solve customer issues, and create online installation guides. We just started manufacturing and selling automotive distributor style ignitions. (Chevy, Dodge, VW, Ford, Chris Craft, etc...)

That's about it Mr. Nixon. We are just a family of gear heads and nothing more. We have customers all over the world and I've met some wonderful and intelligent people like yourself. Thanks again for sharing your own experiences!
Kewell!