Webers / Fuel Pump Manifold / Hose Barb

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

HomeMadeSin
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Webers / Fuel Pump Manifold / Hose Barb

Post by HomeMadeSin »

I’ve done a few searches - here and on the interwebs - to no avail thus far. I don’t think my Google-Foo is that bad so here goes:

I am transferring my dual carb setup (Weber 40IDF) from my ‘77 to my ‘78 (was shocked at how little room there is now…kinda wish I hadn’t started down this path). Anyway, I want to have the ability to run off the stock fuel pump - if and when I chose (as if the electric pump dies). I did find a single response on this site that suggested it has the output to keep up, so I’ll run with that. I’d also like to keep the fuel lines the same size, so here are my questions:

(1) the upper fuel pump manifold (not sure official terminology) is at least superficially different between the ‘77 and ‘78. Although I didn’t remove the hose from the ‘78, the hose barb is pressed into the housing. On the ‘77 the hose barbs are threaded (M8x1.25) and removable as shown below. Are these two manifolds interchangeable and use the same diaphragm? Is there a correct year per type?

(2) assuming there’s no issue swapping the two fuel pump manifolds, it sure would be nice to keep the 6mm fuel hose theme all the way through. The Webers have a fuel inlet hose fitting that is also threaded (M10x1.0) with an 8mm hose barb. I’ve searched high and low and can’t find a metallic (aluminum, brass or stainless) that offers a “proper” M10x1.0 to 6mm hose barb arrangement. At least that is available. Yes, there are several out there that have that call out, but NONE show a full flange/seat for the seal washer like a straight metric thread uses. The sad fact is that McMaster Carr DOES show it but all three options (brass/303/316) are not available. Surprisingly (to me anyway) Randakk doesn’t have it. Anyone have a source? I know I can cobble together a plumbing abomination but would like to do it clean. And I haven’t found a 6mm to two 8mm tee / y fitting either because that is just backwards.

(3) the other option would be to find an outlet fitting for the threaded manifold (M8x1.25 to 8mm hose barb). I’m having the exact same issue here as the flange/seat is insufficient for a proper seal. Besides, I’d rather go all 8mm including the petcock but I’m sure that’s a goose chase

Thanks,
Z
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Webers / Fuel Pump Manifold / Hose Barb

Post by gltriker »

Searched on eBay ?
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
HomeMadeSin
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by HomeMadeSin »

Yes indeed. Here’s the issue:

Stock Weber fitting (without seal washer):

What I see on Amazon, eBay, etc:

HomeMadeSin
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by HomeMadeSin »

Edit: I just found a set via fittings space on eBay (also saw them online but was suspect). The picture is doctored and clearly isn’t a M10x1 to 6mm but the description is. I’m taking a chance and will see.

Still curious about the differences in the fuel pump manifolds….

Thanks,
Z
HomeMadeSin
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by HomeMadeSin »

Nothing doctored here lolol