SCC - Won't Run Below 2000 RPM

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

bbuice
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

SCC - Won't Run Below 2000 RPM

Post by bbuice »

I know many of you frown on single carb conversions but after spending $500+ a few times during ing the past 10 years to get my 1975 GL1000 Carbs rebuilt I decided to try a single carb this year. I purchased a manifold and a 34PICT-3 carb. I followed the instructions and have it all installed. No matter what I do I can't get the bike to idle below 2000 rpm. I have looked through this forum and haven't seen anything much about this issue. I have Dyna ignition on the bike if that makes any difference. Can anyone offer any advice?

I just thought of another question. In my reading through the forum I came across a couple of posts regarding icing of the manifold. Is this a big problem and does it keep the bike from running? Does it happen when riding or just until the bike is warmed up?

Thanks.

Benny
-----------------------------------
1975 GL1000
2003 GL1800
low-side
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: SCC - Won't Run Below 2000 RPM

Post by low-side »

Icing generally only occurs when it's cold, but it makes the fuel condense on the walls of the manifold and it will run poorly if at all.
bbuice
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by bbuice »

Will the condensation go away once the manifolds warm up?
1975 GL1000
2003 GL1800
Explorer
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Explorer »

When I first started my SCC it wouldn't run below 8000, turned out the idle screw of the fake Weber I had was messed up and needed some major adjustment.

As far as icing is concerned, my manifold usually runs cold and often sweats but I've never had blockage problems to where it just won't run. But because I had heard all the horror stories about this happening, I cut out some of the fairing plenum around the fan motor to enable the hot air from the radiator to heat it, and I've never had problems.

But that's all on my 82, I guess your 75 won't have those issues, it being fairing-less.
bbuice
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by bbuice »

Are you talking about the screw that moves with the throttle and seats against the choke cam?
1975 GL1000
2003 GL1800
Explorer
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Explorer »

I never had a VW carb on mine, so I don't know the answer to that.

Try classicgoldwings.com They got people there that don't frown on these modifications.
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Post by Oldewing »

Shootin' from the hip,

If your idle won't come down with screw all the way down. Throttle plate closed. you must be drawing air from a leak either in the carb itself, or mounting system. You still using intake elbows? oring in place? those clamps tight?
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
ob1quixote
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by ob1quixote »

There is our own SCC section under the main Customizing Subforum.
1979 GL1000
2001 DRZ400
1983 CR480
And a few late '60's - early '70's British thumpers
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Icing is a combination of low temps and humidity. The dew point probably plays a big role. Icing can occur at temps as high as 60 degrees F if the humidity is high. Where you live is a big factor in how often it affects you. ( Maybe higher, I didn’t check.) Google it, lots of data and explanations. It’s water that forms on the walls. Goldwings are designed with the aluminum manifolds touching the aluminum heads to transmit heat quickly and combat it.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi