Known Good EFI Tunes for a GL1000?

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

RodBender
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Known Good EFI Tunes for a GL1000?

Post by RodBender »

Howdy all -

I have a pair of '78s, one bought running, the other not running but in much better cosmetic shape and with fewer miles. The running one never ran right (wouldn't idle right, and downright slow, no matter what I did to it), and unfortunately it no longer runs - I travel quite a bit for work and the intermittent use schedule was clearly not playing well with these carbs. Clearly, fuel injection is in my future.

I know that a few have successfully taken the plunge on EFI with old goldwings in the past, and I am, in fact loosely basing my build on some pictures of someone else's I found here:

https://www.tophrestorations.ca/projects.html

Thing is, with the exception of a few conversions of later model-year factory EFI systems (not very interested in this route), there's usually little information to be found about a build other than that it exists. I pulled the trigger on imitating this one since it included the vital information that 2001-era GSXR 600 throttle bodies will fit right into the carb boots of our motors - greatly simplifying the job.

Pic below shows a mock-up of my build. Yes, I'm aware that I'll be pulling in quite a lot of hot air from the radiator. If I ever decide that really bothers me, I'll do something about it, but for now I like the idea of sticking to the KISS principle and gaining a storage space where the airbox used to be, and I intend to have an IAT sensor so my mixture will at least be right. Those chopped up pieces of fuel rail are currently with a buddy who's going to at least attempt to weld in pieces of a second donor rail as spacers. Should he fail, I'll be writing a check for that particular part of the build.
20190407_202258.jpg
20190407_202258.jpg (93.4 KiB) Viewed 366 times
It just so happens that, by profession, I am an engine management systems calibrator for an automotive OEM, so I expect I'll be able to puzzle my way through the calibration, as long as I manage to get the hardware sorted out. I've never done an entire "base engine" cal form the ground up, though - by the time an engine comes to me, it can start and can run on the dyno. OEM calibrations these days are much too large for even one team of engineers to cover, so I'm looking for any information I can find. Any words of wisdom available to me?

I have not yet purchased an ECU, though I intend to use a microsquirt, as it's proven and I think learning it/TunerStudio would provide me a useful skill for future projects. If someone had, say, some VE maps for me use use as a starting point, I'd be quite grateful.
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: Known Good EFI Tunes for a GL1000?

Post by socrace »

Hi RodBender,
Looks like an interesting project, will be following along.
You've come to the right place, there's been several Goldwing efi projects documented here, including some complete microsquirt calibrations.
Check out my signature link for normally aspirated and irishcarbomb's for turbo maps.
Bob D
1981 Goldwing Standard - efi'd, other stuff
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Welcome to the 'Wingdom.

If your scroll to the bottom of the page you will find previous threads on the topic ....

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Welcome - look forward to following your project. Cheers
"When writing the Story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen."

Ernest

1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)