350 Holley 2 Barrel?

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

BIGDCYCLES
Lead Member
Lead Member

350 Holley 2 Barrel?

Post by BIGDCYCLES »

Been kicking around a single carb conversion using a 350cfm 2 barrel. Am I nuts? Will it work? Havent looked at stock carbs yet but as bad as the bike is running they may be shot.

Ive figured out how to have a decent plenum area and runner size for good velocity but dont know if it would be way too much air. I know I can get the fuel right being a hot rodder also I can tune a Holley.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Re: 350 Holley 2 Barrel?

Post by robin1731 »

While I have run across some stock carbs, GL's and some Kawasaki, it is rare. Some guys go to a single carb because they have a hard time getting the stock carbs to work. Some for other reasons.

If you like the idea of the Holley go for it. It may take some time to tune, may not. I know there is at least one GL out there with a 4 barrel Holley. Keep us updated on your progress.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

There are at least two with four barrels, both gave up on them. Not they didn’t work, but they had issues. Oldboy’s build of “My Buddy Holley” had the four barrel up through the false tank. It had a long drop into the plenum before branching out to each cylinder.

The majority I’ve read about that are successful are using smaller runner size, HOTT is the first I saw using a Weber 2 into 1 adapter and found success. Quite a few have reported it smoothed out a lot of bumps following his lead. (Sorry if someone else did it first and deserves credit) There quite few using smaller versions of Holley two barrels.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
BIGDCYCLES
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by BIGDCYCLES »

My manifold will be as short as possible with a small plenum area under the carb and fairly small runners to help with air velocity and idle quality.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Long runners help with low end torque. Smaller diameter runners would help velocity. Is that what you meant by " fairly small runners to help with air velocity and idle quality" ?

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder