Vw carb conversion

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Rockdog
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Vw carb conversion

Post by Rockdog »

So for the people that have done a vw carb conversion..... which carb has been the best one for gl1000.... the 30 pic or 34 pic .....are there any benefits of one over the other? I'm getting ready to do a conversion and I'm curious to see what people think....
lcallison
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Vw carb conversion

Post by lcallison »

I'm running a 34 pic 3 on my 79. My brother initially installed it a few years ago.
Larry
84 GL1200A
79 GL1000
carolinacafe
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Re: Vw carb conversion

Post by carolinacafe »

I'm currently running the 34 on my wing and it was a fairly drastic difference in some aspects, not so great difference in others. For instance - found it extremely easy to tune up and get going. Some of the Solex and EMPI models come tuned out of the box. (Some don't obviously, but I got lucky.)

I fab'd my own manifold with steel scrap and flex-coupling, used the original intake boots and elbows and sealed them with silicone self-fusing tape/sealant. Finding a manifold flange is the hard part, but EMPI makes a spacer for the 34 that worked perfectly for the Carb to sit on. biggest issue for me was the spacing of the throttle cable bracket to bolt on to. Mine is about a centimeter too far up, and outside of adjustment range. it makes the throttle have a lot of play in it prior to engaging.

keep in mind that you will have to figure out a way to securely fasten the throttle cable into the new Carb's throttle arm. The holes are a big wider and farther apart than the stock cable can play into, so you'll have to modify the cable or modify the carb. (Or buy a new aftermarket cable.)

ALL in all, it's pretty rewarding to go to single carb. And it looks pretty boss too. Make sure to read up on the vaccuum ports, crank case vent plug, intake manifold configurations, tuning, etc. It can be frustrating at first but there ARE answers out there. Take if from someone who just finished. like.... literally just finished last night haha.

I'll post a thread of the build soon.

Michael