Critique my manifold heating!

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Hyde
Tin Member
Tin Member

Critique my manifold heating!

Post by Hyde »

Hey all, currently working on getting my single carb on my GL1000. Im using the Stovebolt carb, with a manifold intended for the Solex conversion which I tried with an EMPI with miserable results earlier this year. I built a simple grid and JB welded it to the bottom of the intake, it would have taken some specialized brazing equipment to mate the steel and copper so this is how it ended up. Using coolant from the head crossovers do you think this will provide enough heat?

1976 GL1000, constant work in progress
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Re: Critique my manifold heating!

Post by Oldewing »

first, I have no real first hand time with this,

but me thinks , No that won't be enough to due. Look up past bike of the month, MyBuddyHolly and see how he put the water tubes inside the airbox.

Or it could be fine............................. anim-cheers1
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
salukispeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by salukispeed »

I am pretty sure you can just silver solder the copper to the clean steel. . if that helps your design. .
Honda 72 CL100 sold
74 CB750 K4 nice driver
1966 CA77/305 Dream nostalgic driver
84 GL1200I work in progress
1970 CT 70
1982 GL500 Interstate
Hyde
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by Hyde »

I considered silver solder but with so many joints in a small area I also worried about the low temp solder on the copper joints melting with the higher heat needed for silver solder. Ill be painting the heat wrap with VHT also so heat retention should be ok. If it doesnt work Ill try something else, from what Ive heard the manifold doesnt have to be hot just warm to the touch to prevent icing.
Oldboy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Oldboy »

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but coolant is not going to flow through thoses tubes. The coolant is pumped through the heads
into a common housing that leads to a bypass port & thermostat from there to the rad. Your're going to have coolant coming out of each head and running into each other...no where to go. You may also have just made a large air pocket,,,,Sorry just my 2 cents.
Cheers...

Just Wing-it
Hyde
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by Hyde »

I thought of that, it doesnt necessarily need to flow as long as it heats up, becoming an air pocket is a concern that ran through my head though. Its significantly lower than the radiator cap but in an awkward position for coolant to run. may have to tip the bike to get it bled.

Any suggestions for a better setup with this style of intake?
flyin900
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by flyin900 »

How about a 12V heater set up for heating grips on a bike? I don't have any first hand experience with those type of heaters and how much heat they will provide vs what you actually need. They could be possibly wrapped around the intake manifold and wired into the 12v electrical off the key if you need the heat constantly.
If this is a viable option then reducing the electrical consumption on the bike with 12V LED bulbs in the signals and other areas will probably gain you back the extra load from the grip heaters.
If you want to attach the copper pipe to the bottom of the intake I would just use the "Steel Stik" putty that comes in a "tootsie roll" that you knead to activate. I have used it in various applications and it is good for about 500F, so no issue with heat on there. It will definately bond both the copper and metal together in a solid one piece section.
Napa sells it and I think JB Weld also makes an equivalent too, although I like the Steel Stik better since it sets up solid in 15 minutes.
Last edited by flyin900 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Bikes:

1966 CL77 - Honda 305cc - Dual purpose - "Gentleman's Scrambler" was a period moniker.
1967 CL175K0 - Low production number with #802 engine serial- winter 2019/2020 full restoration.
1972 CB350F - Baby Four with low mileage - Cosmetic refresh to the next level 2021/2022.
1978 CB550K - Very original bike with only 7499 Km. from new - light cleanup and refresh done.
1983 CB1100F - Canadian model - DOHC Supersport in pristine low kilometre condition from new.
1984 GL1200 - Standard model in showroom condition - two owner bike from new.
1984 CX650E - Restored summer 2017 - a rare Eurosport model - excellent one owner bike.
Hyde
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by Hyde »

I have considered grip heaters if this idea doesnt pan out. I have no lights aside from LED head and tails, I run an electric fuel pump already though. There is actually a factory heating element off of Ford cars for this carb, I cant recall the amperage right now but its far too much for our factory stator if I remember right.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Check at classicgoldwings.com. They've tried all of the heat sources and have opinions about which work or not. If you're in a climate with extreme changes you may need this. It seems like everyone has to tweak them to their own likings.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Hyde
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by Hyde »

I will check over there, Ive ridden in everything from below freezing to over 100 degrees here so a lot of temp change.
Oldboy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Oldboy »

To make your design work perfectly, here's my suggestion. Take one of the elbows you grafted the copper pipe into
and close off the ORIGINAL tube completely. Now the coolant flowing out off this head must go through your grafted pipe (in
that elbow), through your plumbing and join up with the coolant flowing out of the other head via the grafted pipe in this elbow
and flow towards the by-pass and thermostat. This will guaranty constant flow and maximum heat to your intake. All you are really doing here is changing the path of the coolant out of one side of the engine to the thermostat. Don't make this restrictive.
Ted.
Cheers...

Just Wing-it
Toehead
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Toehead »

Use the water pump cover and thermostat housing from a 1200 with EFI. it has another coolant loop that you can use for heating your manifold and is a bolt on (with one small mod needed).

Check out my efi build.
2012 Golf TDI, fast and frugal oil burner
1980 CX500C, All around road warrior (Sold)
1975 TS125 (Sold), old smoker
1977 naked GL1000, Highway cruiser
'81 GL1100 14,000 (reconditioned and sold)
'81 GL1100 50,000 miles (under construction)
2X 1981 CM400 beginner bike (sold)
1980 CB750C (sold)
1994 Virago 750 (Wifey's bike)
'76 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow (Megasquirted efi build) http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=59774
Hyde
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by Hyde »

Thanks for the suggestions guys, will check out your build and that thermostat housing when I get back to my computer
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Post by Oldewing »

Oldboy wrote:Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but coolant is not going to flow through thoses tubes. The coolant is pumped through the heads
into a common housing that leads to a bypass port & thermostat from there to the rad. Your're going to have coolant coming out of each head and running into each other...no where to go. You may also have just made a large air pocket,,,,Sorry just my 2 cents.
<iframe width="728" height="410" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6IPb_nj6ofk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Missed that totally...........yep, your right
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
arie1
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by arie1 »

Hi there, I'm gonna use coolant for my manifold. The guy I bought my wing from had already made an alteration because my bike also runs on Propane . On the foto you can see where the alteration has been made. The return hose is fitted at the front.
I hope this may help you.

cheers
arno
Attachments
DSC01484.JPG
DSC01484.JPG (130.99 KiB) Viewed 276 times
DSC01485.JPG
DSC01485.JPG (114.61 KiB) Viewed 276 times