V65 madness

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: V65 madness

Post by ericheath »

Sunnbobb, I swapped in an iridium and didn't notice any change. I am hesitant to switch to them because I am not sure if reading them is the same for fuel mixture. I run them in my stock 77 and they will keep firing even if one cylinder is too rich. I think they are a smaller spark, but a hotter spark. I'm unsure of which is best, but I am really starting to think the C5 can help any motor perform better, except one that's already perfect. Three sparks which can be controlled, timing and advance which can be controlled. Having the three sparks gives your timing more range across the rpm range and I think it will help with fuel mixes that aren't perfect as well. It would be nice to dial everything in perfect, but there's nothing wrong with a range of perfect.

The more I tinker with this, the more I realize I have created my own monster as far as timing goes. I checked my valves settings on a stone cold engine yesterday and a couple were a little tight. That probably wasn't helping. With my cams advanced, my timing is advanced. So where should it be timed and why?? Mine is seeming to like 5 degrees like a gl1000 and the cams that are in it. The 1200 is 10 degrees advanced. I'm going to try and get a timing light on it today. I may just use the light to make marks on the plates behind the cam wheels, and then measure how much advance I'm getting. That should work like a timing wheel, and save trying to rig something through the timing hole. What is it that engine builders use to determine the timing? It must be the cams?

Am I right in thinking the 1200 has 35 degrees of advance because the book says 45 degrees, but it starts at 10 degrees, and the 1000, early cams, start at 5 and go to 38, so they have 33 degrees of advance??
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Two hydrolocks and I better get new float valves, so I put the 77 carbs back on. They perform much better at the bottom end. They do however start giving up at 8k, which is more than a 1200 should run, but the v65 carbs kept pulling with no hesitation at the upper end. I didn't take it past 9k with the v65 carbs, but it didn't miss a beat whereas the 77's start to miss at 8k since I advanced the cams. I wonder if that is from the volume going in at 36mm or the speed of the charge from the reduced elbow size.?? I hope to chase the v65 carbs more before winter. They will need some tweaking to get right. I hope I have enough tricks to tweak.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I got a set of v65 parts carbs minus the diaphragms for $55. So I swapped the #1carb body out because it kept losing the idle mixture screw and it leaked at the float a little. I also got two sets of four of the same emulsion tubes. I tried the four with the holes nearest to the jet first and it wasn't right. Swapped for the ones with the holes near the carb body and was instantly smooth. I can't believe how much that was affecting acceleration with two different sets of emulsion tubes. I never thought to look at them except to see that they were clean. I've always dealt with carbs where the emulsion tubes were the same. I think I posted this pic of the emulsion differences in a different thread.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (61.84 KiB) Viewed 241 times

I think I'm rich in my main jet right now, but I don't think I'm going to get enough warm weather to get it close this year. I need to look at my plugs, but I hit a bog at 7500 but it doesn't backfire and takes off when I back off the throttle a little so I'm thinking it's too big a main jet, 130 right now.

As to the Schizoid 1200, it may be time for a full tear down. It is making more and more noise from the transmission, I think. It only goes away when the clutch us pulled in and it makes a clattering in all gears. My only guess is the bearings that hold the main shaft. I replace the bearing in the clutch for the pushrod. This is probably out of my league. It'll probably get a different motor.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

ericheath wrote:snip......................
I think I'm rich in my main jet right now, but I don't think I'm going to get enough warm weather to get it close this year. I need to look at my plugs, but I hit a bog at 7500 but it doesn't backfire and takes off when I back off the throttle a little so I'm thinking it's too big a main jet, 130 right now.

This sounds more lean. The fact that it runs better when you close the throttle, meaning you cut off some air, the sounds lean. Best way to check is with a plug chop.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Just went and looked, they're tan now, but that was running easy for ten minutes home. I may try the shorter springs under the caps if it's dry enough tomorrow. Easy to do before trying a bigger main jet??
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Need to find a clear road. Run it at WOT and kill the engine the instant you release the throttle. Then pull over and pull at least one plug. See what it looks like. Do this at part throttle too.

As soon as you ride it a bit at part throttle the plugs can't be read for WOT.
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

How long at wot?
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

ericheath wrote:How long at wot?

1/4 to 1/2 mile if you can, safely.
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

robin1731 wrote:
ericheath wrote:snip......................

This sounds more lean. The fact that it runs better when you close the throttle, meaning you cut off some air, the sounds lean. Best way to check is with a plug chop.

This can also be a sign that the carbs are too big.
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I went with a 140 and it bogs at 6500. Robin your suggestion is probably only as good as my description is bad. I tossed in some 120's but the rain has hit so I probably won't get a chance until maybe this evening. Stock 1200 has a 105 main. Stock V65 has two 118 and two 120 mains. On my motor, with two valves per cylinder, 120 should be plenty. I was rethinking my smoothness issue and it was not smooth even when I had the gl1200 emulsion tubes in. I swapped the v65 emulsion tubes in, but I also swapped out the #1 carb body. It very well may have been something with that carb body. I looked it over quickly last night and there was nothing glaringly wrong with it. The plug was always sooty on that cylinder. Now it's clean. That was also the side that backfired. I think I'm close now and I think it's going to run well, make good power, but probably guzzle gas.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Reading over my own madness here to add that much of this issue with #1 cylinder was due to bent rod from Hydrolocking.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces