Dual carbs gl1100

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Otis76
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Dual carbs gl1100

Post by Otis76 »

After alot of problems on the stock carbs i have started to think about the randakk dual carbs system.. Weber 40.. Can it be used other brands carbs?? Empi? Dellorto?? Or what.. Any tips????
TheWheel
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: Dual carbs gl1100

Post by TheWheel »

The mods usually seem to put questions about anything other than stock OEM carbs over here: http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=47

You might find some answers in that sub-forum.

Cheers

Phil
bladredhead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bladredhead »

anything that fits the IDF bolt pattern will attach.

gregforesi creator of White Trash, has quite a few miles on EMPI nockoffs. they use weber tuning parts as i recall. <wrong, see below

the biggest issue for me would be lack of applicable info for tuning. if you do what others have, their knowledge could be applicable to setting up your carbs. if you're abandoning the stock units out of frustration, i'd imagine sticking to the weber and their imitators would be wise.
Last edited by bladredhead on Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Broken 1976 gl1000... and a few others
randakk
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by randakk »

TheWheel wrote:The mods usually seem to put questions about anything other than stock OEM carbs over here: http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=47

You might find some answers in that sub-forum.

Cheers

Phil
Generally, "clone" IDF carbs will work so long as they have 28mm main venturies. But, some of these clones have different "bleed" circuitry and other "simplifications" that alter the base jetting suggestions significantly.

That's why genuine Weber carbs are preferred.
Randall Washington (Randakk)
Retired Founder - www.randakks.com/
Curator - www.facebook.com/groups/CarburetorAppreciationSociety

gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

I actually run Webers, but late EMPI' s will work fine. They are direct knockoffs of the Webers and the parts should interchange. Early EMPI' s had porosity problems with the castings and should be avoided.
The Dell'Ortos are a bit different and as Randall says, you'll need to putz with the jetting a bit.
I had to richen mine up at top end (from Randakk' s base jetting) probably due to no air filters and a more open exhaust. A dyno run showed the engine really leaning out at top end.

Remember to take the above with a grain of salt. You may not be aware but I recently had to return my Golden Wrench award due to a massive brain fart while working on a new-to-me engine.
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

"Putz with the jetting" is a well known Randakk technical maneuver .......

Gord anim-cheers1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gregforesi »

That's true.
Millright runs Webers on his 1100. Since he's a Canuck, I'm sure he could be induced to give up some secrets if bribed with beer.
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
Blackmagic
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by Blackmagic »

I have just completed the dual carb conversion on my 81 GL1100. I also did the Neon coil upgrade at the same time. Special thanks to Randakk, wilwilly, gregforesi & Millright for their excellent advice on making this happen. I bought the manifolds from Randakk and his instructions were spot on in making all of the jetting and linkage mods that were necessary. I scored the two Weber 40 IDF carbs locally on Craigslist for $300. Other parts were obtained from Pierce Manifolds and CB Performance. The Dodge Neon coils wer found easily on eBay and were cheap. I also added an electric fuel pump to give me constant pressure. Great idea btw. Just tied it into the ACC power on the fuse rail. The rest of the parts I made myself. I should mention that I am not a mechanic just someone with enough smarts to follow directions and listen to good suggestions My bike was a good runner before this mod but I just wanted to see if I could make this happen on my own and have some fun along the way. You need to take your time and be precise but it wasn't all that difficult. The results were a great sounding and great running machine.
I made up my own spark wire and boots from some Accel 8.8mm wires I also got used on eBay. I went without the resistors on the plugs and put a ballast resistor inline with the coil. I'm running the spark gap at .034
Left side Weber
Left side Weber
IMG_5094.JPG (64.6 KiB) Viewed 889 times
linkage view
linkage view
IMG_5095.JPG (78.86 KiB) Viewed 889 times
Fuel line to pump
Fuel line to pump
IMG_5097.JPG (57.18 KiB) Viewed 889 times
Linkage close up. I used the OEM throttle cable
Linkage close up. I used the OEM throttle cable
IMG_5098.JPG (60.59 KiB) Viewed 889 times
IMG_5099.JPG
IMG_5099.JPG (74.59 KiB) Viewed 889 times
Blackmagic
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by Blackmagic »

A few more pics of the conversion
Fuel pump from CB Performance
Fuel pump from CB Performance
IMG_5100.JPG (51.2 KiB) Viewed 889 times
Dodge Neon coil installed in the stock spot with some modifications for mounting. Ballast resistor inline
Dodge Neon coil installed in the stock spot with some modifications for mounting. Ballast resistor inline
IMG_5105.JPG (64.49 KiB) Viewed 889 times
Black Magic all buttoned up and ready to ride
Black Magic all buttoned up and ready to ride
IMG_5108.JPG (74.81 KiB) Viewed 889 times
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gregforesi »

That's the first I've seen of the whole shebang. I agree it needs the taller v-stacks. Just sorta looks out-of-scale with the 2" stacks.
There are two idle air vent holes in the carb top. With the top removed you can put air filter foam material in the recesses on the underside.
The vent hole for the float bowl needs something as well. It's the one between the main jet holders. Crap that finds its way onto the carb top will find its way to the vent holes. I think if you look at the photos I sent you'll see a piece of aluminum stuck into the float vent hole and affixed with JB weld. It has a blind hole drilled up from the bottom, and an angled blind hole drilled upwards on the back side that intersects the vertical hole. It allows air in but dirt stays out.
Blackmagic
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by Blackmagic »

Good advice as always
Daijen
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Daijen »

Thanks so much. This is excellent!
Dave
North-Central Ohio
1981 GL1100
82aspy
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 82aspy »

:shock: action1 action1 dancr

i'd be all ears on a separate thread with details a-z
Blackmagic wrote:I have just completed the dual carb conversion on my 81 GL1100. I also did the Neon coil upgrade at the same time. Special thanks to Randakk, wilwilly, gregforesi & Millright for their excellent advice on making this happen. I bought the manifolds from Randakk and his instructions were spot on in making all of the jetting and linkage mods that were necessary. I scored the two Weber 40 IDF carbs locally on Craigslist for $300. Other parts were obtained from Pierce Manifolds and CB Performance. The Dodge Neon coils wer found easily on eBay and were cheap. I also added an electric fuel pump to give me constant pressure. Great idea btw. Just tied it into the ACC power on the fuse rail. The rest of the parts I made myself. I should mention that I am not a mechanic just someone with enough smarts to follow directions and listen to good suggestions My bike was a good runner before this mod but I just wanted to see if I could make this happen on my own and have some fun along the way. You need to take your time and be precise but it wasn't all that difficult. The results were a great sounding and great running machine.
I made up my own spark wire and boots from some Accel 8.8mm wires I also got used on eBay. I went without the resistors on the plugs and put a ballast resistor inline with the coil. I'm running the spark gap at .034
"there is a Darwinian element"
Yoda said, "There is no try or not try; there is only do or don't do."
=====================
ngw quotes anim-cheers1 - \ "I will strip the beast" \ "the swingarm is just a hunk of metal" \ "gonna maybe ...dunno yet" \ "It's never done, thats the fun." \ "something about this site brings me back"
Daijen
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Daijen »

82aspy wrote::shock: action1 action1 dancr

Bookmarked this one, too. Thanks.

Blackmagic wrote:I have just completed the dual carb conversion on my 81 GL1100. I also did the Neon coil upgrade at the same time. Special thanks to Randakk, wilwilly, gregforesi & Millright for their excellent advice on making this happen. I bought the manifolds from Randakk and his instructions were spot on in making all of the jetting and linkage mods that were necessary. I scored the two Weber 40 IDF carbs locally on Craigslist for $300. Other parts were obtained from Pierce Manifolds and CB Performance. The Dodge Neon coils wer found easily on eBay and were cheap. I also added an electric fuel pump to give me constant pressure. Great idea btw. Just tied it into the ACC power on the fuse rail. The rest of the parts I made myself. I should mention that I am not a mechanic just someone with enough smarts to follow directions and listen to good suggestions My bike was a good runner before this mod but I just wanted to see if I could make this happen on my own and have some fun along the way. You need to take your time and be precise but it wasn't all that difficult. The results were a great sounding and great running machine.
Dave
North-Central Ohio
1981 GL1100
Daijen
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Daijen »

Daijen wrote:
82aspy wrote::shock: action1 action1 dancr

Bookmarked this one, too. Thanks.

Is there a separate thread? If so, please let me know where. I can't wait to read through this. It's exactly what I want to do to Peach and this was excellent! Thanks for sharing.
Dave
North-Central Ohio
1981 GL1100