Fiberglass Manifolds

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Audiowize
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Fiberglass Manifolds

Post by Audiowize »

So, there seems to be two camps in the single carb manifold discussion:

Metal or PVC/ABS

Has anybody tried fiberglass? I have to admit, I got the idea from the old 917 Porsche race car, which has a really chunky fiberglass manifold sitting atop the engine.

If anybody is interested, I could probably be talked into fabricating one of these. The big advantage is the ease of fabrication. You could literally cut round/square tubing with a disposable saw and miter box, then set all the pieces with kitty hair or lay it up with epoxy and glass tape.

I guess where I'm drawing a blank is on the carb flange, but pre-made FRP sheets have a thickness tolerance of +/- 0.008" per inch, which should be acceptable if a gasket is used and maybe a little glass sheet sanding is done.

Any ideas?

I see appropriately sized tubing with a 265 degree Fahrenheit heat rating (abs melts at 221F), so the biggest question is what kind of heat the bonding materials can take.
1971 BMW R50/5 - finished
1977 GL-1000
2008 Kawasaki KLE-650 - sold :(
2003 Yamaha FJR-1300
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Re: Fiberglass Manifolds

Post by gregforesi »

Here you go.
I ran this setup on the bike for about 500 miles. Ran pretty good. I think the polyester resin is a bit rigid. If I was going to do this again I'd use epoxy resin. The build thread is Spin them Suckers Around.
10-25_1.JPG
10-25_1.JPG (134.41 KiB) Viewed 994 times
11-5_3.JPG
11-5_3.JPG (86.03 KiB) Viewed 994 times
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

Greg, I wondered whatever happened to that set up....did you end up selling them, or are they on the shelf? Was a very cool project!
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

They are still sitting on a shelf above the basket case 78 that I was going to steam punk and stick them on. Doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon.
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
earthquake
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by earthquake »

what if you were to use Styrofoam and shape it in a manifold and cover it in fiberglass cloth and resin, once it has set up you can melt the foam with acetone or lacquer thinner. You would have to make it slightly undersized so it will fit the manifolds, grafting a flange for the carb will be no problem, you also lay it up in carbon fiber.

Casey
"If it shines, bends, bangs or clangs, ITS METAL!!! and if I cant work it, I"ll piss on it!"

I love Boxer engines be GoldWing or VW

http://www.rememberingkelly.com/
digschopper
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by digschopper »

Styrofoam is crumbly and shapes poorly. Use rigid foam from a craft store and shape it with a Ginsu, then sand , dont forget the taper to the ports. Once thats done, tape/wrap it, then wax it a few times. Glass over it, cure it. When its set up, pour acetone down the ports, the foam dissolves, pick out tape remnants. This is how ive made seat bases, fenders.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

digschopper wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:45 pm Styrofoam is crumbly and shapes poorly. Use rigid foam from a craft store and shape it with a Ginsu, then sand , dont forget the taper to the ports. Once thats done, tape/wrap it, then wax it a few times. Glass over it, cure it. When its set up, pour acetone down the ports, the foam dissolves, pick out tape remnants. This is how ive made seat bases, fenders.
That might be a new record. Woke up an 8 year old thread. ;) anim-cheers1
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
digschopper
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by digschopper »

Lol, my bad... Didnt look. Maybe itll be of use later.