JENVEY TF 40mm Twin Throttle Bodies "Alberta Super Clipper"

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Re: JENVEY TF 40mm Twin Throttle Bodies "Alberta Super Clipp

Post by robin1731 »

I am real good friends with my Snap-On guy too. He has my phone number and I have his cell number. :roll:

I will admit I don't have a lot of stuff from his truck though.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Casper »

I also do not have a whole lot of Snap On tools in my box. Good stuff, as we all know, but dang they are expensive.
1976 LTD, Being Returned to Stock
Standard 1976 GL1000 Being Morphed into the Alberta Super Clipper
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Casper »

To do the high pressure fuel pump install the right way I found out I needed more parts, so more parts are on order :-?

I figured out the final location for the Wideband O2 sensor, pics below. I will send it off to the TIG welder this week to have the steel bung welded inplace. I should be able to install/remove the actual sensor without having to remove, or even move, the muffler. Being the horseshoe it did make the job easy, as there is lots of room to work with. The Wideband system I am using has a dual input option, so if you where running a true dual exhaust it can handle it, in my case I just need to use the one sensor.

I decided to reverse the Jenvey Throttle Bodies, so as to keep the injectors on the inside. I think it provides much more protection for the injectors and the associated wiring, along with all the fuel and MP lines. It will also make for a much cleaner install look on the outside. I'll try and post some pics this week.

Cheers,
Attachments
Wideband O2 Sensor Side View
Wideband O2 Sensor Side View
IMG_0328.JPG (52.72 KiB) Viewed 546 times
Wideband O2 Sensor Front View
Wideband O2 Sensor Front View
IMG_0329.JPG (62.15 KiB) Viewed 546 times
irishcarbomb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by irishcarbomb »

That's a nice spot for the sensor...what wideband controller are you using?
1983 GL1100 Fuel Injected Turbo Build Thread
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

I am surprised you are using the stock exhaust. Seems you would be adding the blower to make power but then choking it down with the stock muffler. I'm not talking open pipes but a free flowing exhaust would work much better. IMO
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Casper »

icb, I hope the link works. It is an Edelbrock system, very compact low power and water proof.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/ ... ents.shtml

Robin, A very good comment, thanks. The final bike will be a bit eclectic, and that is by plan. A mix of old and new, some modern high performance, and some old school styling. Given the boost levels I am going with and my 'old guy' riding style I think the horseshoe will be fine. None the less all suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Casper wrote:icb, I hope the link works. It is an Edelbrock system, very compact low power and water proof.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/ ... ents.shtml

Robin, A very good comment, thanks. The final bike will be a bit eclectic, and that is by plan. A mix of old and new, some modern high performance, and some old school styling. Given the boost levels I am going with and my 'old guy' riding style I think the horseshoe will be fine. None the less all suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,

But remember, you are adding a lot more air into the engine than stock. The stock exhaust may cause a pretty bad restriction. Enough to make it run worse than if it was more open. Even at low boost levels. Just something to think about. ;)
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Casper »

Robin, point very well taken. I do know you have a significant performance motorcycle racing background, and I should indeed listen. How would suggest I you do the exhaust?
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Casper and others around him will hear lots of sewing machine sound with the stock exhaust and the added whine of the supercharger. Stealth Super Clipper. It will be easy enough to swap should you choose, however, with all the work likely ahead mapping, it might behoove a change.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

You could see if there's a serious restriction by temporarily mounting an exhaust pressure gauge in the O2 sensor location. Most experts say look for no more than 1-2 psi at max power. I'm guessing that adding 20-30hp isn't going to go over that, but the horseshoe is a very quiet muffler so who knows?
1981 Goldwing Standard - efi'd, other stuff
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Casper wrote:Robin, point very well taken. I do know you have a significant performance motorcycle racing background, and I should indeed listen. How would suggest I you do the exhaust?

I think even the Harley Sportster mufflers would work well. Decent flow and not too loud. You would need to use two O2 sensors but you say the computer is set up for that. If you too open then they get loud. Nobody around us likes loud pipes. I don't when I'm in my cage. I don't when I'm not at the track. ;)
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Post by Oldewing »

It does get loud in your shop from time to time...... :crosso :crosso :crosso

Winston's race bike was a little ..............
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Casper »

Guys,

Some good ideas, thanks.

I have a NOS set of Harley Sportster muffles sitting in a box on the shelf, (got them for free from a buddy) all I need is an other Edelbrock O2 sensor and a two new weld on Bungs. The Edelbrock WideBand unit I have does have a second input, it is set up for a single , or a, true dual Exahust system, so that part is easy. I think I will still go ahead with the Horseshoe, but also put some bungs on the Harley's and bring in another O2 sensor. The swap back and forth would be easy. Once I get the SDS tuning down pat I am pretty sure the change in EFI setting would be also be easy, or I hope so.

Cheers,
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

More food for thought...
Millright's 1100 Weber bike has a nice looking exhaust with the baffle stack that can be adjusted. He has installed O2 sensors on both sides and it looks pretty darn good, ain't overly loud, and is tune-able by changing the number of plates in the baffle stack.
You could tune the exhaust for best performance, and then take some baffles out so it was nice and quiet, and have a second map for that exhaust config. It wouldn't take more than 10 minutes or so of wrenching any time you wanted to switch from "quiet" to "performance".
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
irishcarbomb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by irishcarbomb »

Before configuring for two sensors...

Does the SDS do sequential injection? If so then it may be worth the extra cost. However if it is batch fire (like the microsquirt), each injector bank controls an injector on either side of the engine due to firing order. I originally planned for two, but can only adjust 1&2 together or 3&4. So an O2 on both sides would be purely for monitoring one side, and your tune/ego correction is based off the other.

I have to get back to work, so if that doesn't make sense I'll be back on in a bit to clarify.
1983 GL1100 Fuel Injected Turbo Build Thread