JENVEY TF 40mm Twin Throttle Bodies "Alberta Super Clipper"

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

JBz
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: JENVEY TF 40mm Twin Throttle Bodies "Alberta Super Clipp

Post by JBz »

Cant tell from here to well the print is a little blurry for me but if the perimeter on the print as shown above is marked with slashes////////// or the interior line is marked like this to designate backside--------You are correct. If no slashes or broken lines are in that area around that area of the perimeter the stiffeners are in the correct place. 1/8 seems marginal to me . I would think 1/4 would be better. jb
jbz........... Thinkin about sh-t too hard and You wont get anything done
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Casper »

I will revise the drawing to try and make is 100% clear what side the stiffening flanges go on. I will post it here for feed back, before it goes to welder. This time I will write on the actual plate Front and Back, with a note "Flanges On This Side" (the one with the word Back on it ;) )

The way the ROTREX is made 1/8" is about all you have to work with. If go to a thicker plate, the belt would rub. I agree I would rather go thicker. The only way would be to machine groves in the plate for the belt. You can't really go thicker on the back side because the way the body of the S/C is, and where the oil system banjo fittings are located, again you could go thicker but you would have to machine out spaces for the body of the S/C and the banjo fittings. The way, I thought it out, was if I machine out a bunch of material that is in the immediate area of the S/C, I loose the advantages of a thicker material. I know that is seat of you pants engineering, but that was my thinking. So my plan is to use a good strong steel 4130 Chromoly, and stiffen the 1/8" plate with flanges. I will be adding in some more flanges once I know the exact routing of the belt, and how I end up routing the upper rad hose. There is also a back mounting member, that has not been fitted to the plate yet, that goes from the 'engine lift hole', up to the S/C mount plate, that is a piece of 1/4" 4130.

Cheers,
1976 LTD, Being Returned to Stock
Standard 1976 GL1000 Being Morphed into the Alberta Super Clipper
JBz
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by JBz »

I certainly wouldn't get into a bunch of machining either other for belt clearance etc other than maybe counterboring the 4 corner holes on the backside if you have enough room to move it back a 1/8 inch then maybe 1/4 might go???. That's if You are welding tabs on the frame???.I believe you were talking a 6 groove serpentine or something. If it makes things easier a vbelt should suffice or a 3groove serpentine.. . Just curious how is your belt adjustment going to work. A top riding idler?? or the plate moving up and down with slots on the backside???.As long as you get the proper belt tension without bending the plate is all that matters. I don't know if you can run that one stiffener down closer to the SC mounting holes by notching out some of the center height and then Veeing back to the outside upper holes?? You are doing fine....JB
jbz........... Thinkin about sh-t too hard and You wont get anything done
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Casper »

Thanks for the vote of confidence JB, it is appreciated.

The idler pulley is an 'outside' or 'top' type, so it rides on the outside/top of the belt. The ROTREX I ordered has a 70mm 8-Rib drive pulley, they only offer 7 or 8 Ribs ('serpentine' K Series) as pulley options. You can drop down in the number of ribs on the actual belt you use, providing you stay in the same serpentine series, given my boost drive levels I could well drop down to 3 - 4 ribs. However, I like the look of a wider belt, so I think I will run with the full 8-Rib, so just a personal choice there. The idler pulley will be mounted to the left, and below the actual S/C, the tension adjustment will either be manual, or spring loaded, that is still TBD. I would like to do spring loaded, but I need to find a system that will work in the confined space I have. I will do up a drawing of the proposed belt run and get it posted. The clearance problem is on the back side of the belt, ROTREX does not allow you to put on a smaller belt and move it forward on the pulley, it will void the warranty, my guess it is a shaft/bearing loading issues? I 'think' given some extra stiffing flanges I can get to the proper belt tension, and keep the mounting plate flat. I will check that laymans theory using a Runout Gauge on the S/C pulley, before and after I apply belt tension. I am hoping I can also do those drive pulley Runout Tests dynamically, with the S/C under various loads.

Thanks for all the ideas, it keeps me thinking, which is really good.
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Casper »

Hi Folks,

The sailing season is drawing to an end up here, so some of my time/energy has now gone back into the bike. I picked up the properly welded mounting plate today and it fit the bike just perfectly. Pictures tomorrow, as I want to show the plate with the S/C fully bolted in place, along with the idler pulley, the idler pulley will be in its aproximate final home. The 70mm Dia, 8-Rib K-Style S/C crank drive pulley was taken to the machine shop today, along with the stock Honda forward timing belt pulley, from the crank, to have them mated. They said about two weeks as they are busy, Calgary is still a boom town and everybody is busy. I also dropped off some 6061 Aluminum 1-3/4" mandrel bend tubing to be welded together as part of the run from the S/C to the dual Intercoolers, that should be about a week away. I hope to start making the aluminum enclosure for all the EFI electronics later this week, it will fit in the false tank where the stock air filter goes. That is a DIY project, as it is just flat plates of .032 thick 2024 aluminum riveted together. Also on my ToDo list is to get the Bell Intercoolers on order, I worked out the technical details with Bell last Spring but I did not actually put the order in. The placing of the HKS Blow Off Valve, will still present some challenges, I have to wait until the aluminum tubing is back from the welders to see if I have the room. There are some smaller BOV on the market so that is my plan-B on that front.

Cheers,
irishcarbomb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by irishcarbomb »

Just a thought, if you're pressed for room...maybe have a flange added to one of the intercooler's end tanks for the BOV.
1983 GL1100 Fuel Injected Turbo Build Thread
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Casper »

How about two HKS BOV's run in parallel, one mounted on the bottom tank of each intercooler. I could fit them just outside of the two oil coolers. Great idea icb.
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Casper »

Here is a pic of todays mock-up progress.

The red tape is just plastic electrical tape showing the aproximate position of the final K-Series 8 Rib serpenptine drive belt.

The white pulley on the crank is just a dummy, about 70m in diameter.
Attachments
ASC-One.jpg
ASC-One.jpg (141.03 KiB) Viewed 225 times
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Might just be the pic but that idler pulley looks real close to the plate.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Casper »

Good eye Robin, the idler pulley is actually touching the plate in the photo. In the final configuration the idler pulley will be 2- 4 from the plate. Tight yes, but it will work.
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Post by Oldewing »

Looks great, Real nice.
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

Hey Casper, that idler arrangement looks good, except isn't it on the "tension" side of the belt? Not sure if it matters all that much when using such a short belt, since it probably doesn't need much control of slack motion. But, if not using anything to control slack motion, why not just use adjustment slots for the supercharger mount (to adj for belt length) and call it good?
1981 Goldwing Standard - efi'd, other stuff
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Casper »

Hi sorace.

From looking at the Rotrex technical install manual, it does not seem to matter what side of a serpentine belt you apply tension to. I am still looking for a small dynamic tensioner that will work in the confined space I have. Rotrex does say they prefer spring loaded dynamic tensioners, but as you noted on such a short belt run that may not be required. I have seen pictures of tensioner that look like they would work, but so far have not been able to track down any P/Ns. I may do a run to my local Pick&Pull lot and see what some junker cars might have lurking under the hood. If I could find one from a car that would fit I could perhaps track down the P/N to get a new or refurbished one. If the arm looked good I could perhaps just add on the idler pulley I have, as it is designed for the backside of an 8-Rib K-Serpentine.
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Casper »

Did a bit of work yesterday. I made a mock-up of the electronics enclosure that fits in the false tank. I just made it out of foam board as I wanted to be sure it would slide into place, before I make the real one out of .032" 2024 sheet aluminum. The pink thing in the box it the same size as the SDS EFI Module, so lots of room left for the relays and WideBand O2 unit etc. The box will have a full lid. I will hang the C5 Ing Coil Unit from the bottom of the enclosure. I will make a make a flat mounting plate that attaches to the top rear of the engine that will be used for the fuel and manifold pressure distribution parts, the fuel pressure regulator is missing in the photo, but it will fit nicely. Today I worked on the mount for the high pressure fuel pump that is an in-tank unit.

Ordered in a hydraulic actuator for the clutch from our good friend sunnbobb. I most likely will also go with the 1200 clutch system upgrade. Also went to flea-Bay and found a set of Lesters, I hope they are as good as the add says they are.

Yesterday afternoon I also had a visit from the devil, you know, the guy who drives around in a big red and white van that says Snap On Tools on the side. He invites into to his lair and try's to woo you with lots and lots of bright chrome things. I guess I am a weak man, as I did walk out with some new 1/4" drive deep metric sockets, somehow he must have know I was in need of a deep 10mm in the morning. Friday afternoon is the time he makes his rounds at the airport where my shop is, I think it might be best if I go home at noon on Fridays. ;)
Attachments
Lower Sub-Systems Mount Plate
Lower Sub-Systems Mount Plate
IMG_0076.JPG (66.54 KiB) Viewed 174 times
EFI Electronics Enclosure
EFI Electronics Enclosure
IMG_0080.JPG (48.51 KiB) Viewed 174 times
Location of the C5 Ing Coil (Shown Inverted)
Location of the C5 Ing Coil (Shown Inverted)
IMG_0083.JPG (33.67 KiB) Viewed 174 times
silverbullit
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by silverbullit »

Nice !!! :2thumbs
What I say is based on Google and Yrs.of
experience, in the stream of time not even a
blink......So take anything I say as merely inconsequential babble.

Herd:1979 Cx500C,1979 Cx500S,1982 Gl500I,1982? Suzuki GL650G SDG 50 1977 GL1000
The Departed:Schwinn w/3.5 Briggs
1948 Salisbury scooter (9hp Wisconsin power)
1947 Harley Knucklehead
1968 Honda S90,
1970 BSA Thunderbolt,
1979 CX500D Dresser aka.The Slug(Guess why)
1978 GL1000(showroom bike Supulveda Honda last '78 in stock)
asked for best deal $950,slug got left in the dust.........as usual.
1978 Z w/ big bore kit.(long story)
2001 Suzi Bandit 1200S,great bike
About 30 or 40 others.