JENVEY TF 40mm Twin Throttle Bodies "Alberta Super Clipper"

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Re: JENVEY TF 40mm Twin Throttle Bodies "Alberta Super Clipp

Post by robin1731 »

Many have eliminated the inner bolts on the belt covers. Just cut the head of the bolt off and "glue" it in to the hole. You have the outside bolts to hole them on. No one seems to have any issues doing this.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Casper »

Thanks Robin,

Mostly finished up the mount plate, still some edge polishing left, and of course mounting the actual parts. I need to find a suitable air cleaner, as it also will also live in that general area.

A couple of pictures of the 70mm 8-Rib crank pulley. It is in its final position, just waiting on a 10mm Allen Head Grade 10.9 bolt to torque it all down. With an allen head, it will be recessed below the front surface of the pulley so it may help a wee-bit in Radiator placement.

Cheers,
Attachments
During the fab of the plate
During the fab of the plate
IMG_0374.JPG (63.94 KiB) Viewed 655 times
Possible placement of parts on the plate
Possible placement of parts on the plate
IMG_0377.JPG (78.24 KiB) Viewed 655 times
8-Rib Crank Pulley
8-Rib Crank Pulley
IMG_0375.JPG (52.46 KiB) Viewed 655 times
First Alignment
First Alignment
IMG_0376.JPG (54.19 KiB) Viewed 655 times
1976 LTD, Being Returned to Stock
Standard 1976 GL1000 Being Morphed into the Alberta Super Clipper
irishcarbomb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by irishcarbomb »

Nice progress...just a thought, do you have room for a BOV on either the top or bottom of the "collector" where the S/C output splits to either side?
1983 GL1100 Fuel Injected Turbo Build Thread
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

Since the bov's are going to dump to atmosphere (not recirculating), I'm wondering if they're going to be really loud, maybe too loud? Especially since the supercharger pumps air all the time (unlike a turbo), are they are going to screech constantly every time the throttle is even slightly closed? Just wondering, maybe I'm over analyzing.
1981 Goldwing Standard - efi'd, other stuff
irishcarbomb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by irishcarbomb »

socrace wrote:Since the bov's are going to dump to atmosphere (not recirculating), I'm wondering if they're going to be really loud, maybe too loud? Especially since the supercharger pumps air all the time (unlike a turbo), are they are going to screech constantly every time the throttle is even slightly closed? Just wondering, maybe I'm over analyzing.
You can hear mine almost every shift...to me it's just an added bonus of having forced induction.
1983 GL1100 Fuel Injected Turbo Build Thread
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

I'm trying to say that with a supercharger, the bov might be venting more or less all the time while cruising.
I guess in that case it could just be adjusted higher, but then you get compressor surge. I suppose a recirculator could be added later if and when that happens.
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Casper »

I can fit a BOV up front, under the false tank or 'out in the open' on one of the runs to/from the Intercoolers. Not sure where it end up just yet. The noise levels I am also not sure of, on some YouTube videos I have seen, the noise is a hiss like sound during shifts. Not really loud or bad, IMO, but you can hear it. With the HKS unit I have you can change the output fitting to make slightly different sounds, according to their literature, or you can put on a flange fitting and do the full recirculate thing.

With a supercharger the boost is a direct function of the engine RPM, so when you come off the throttle to shift the boost pressure will also drop off. I think with a turbo there would be more of a slow drop in pressure as the turbo needs to slow down to lower the boost. Not really 100% of that last statement??, I will try and do some reading on the topic.

:flamer One idea I am toying with is run two of them and mount them on the top of the intake manifolds, a sort of an 'in-your-face' approach. The HKS units are very stylized, they look like little rocket ships.

Cheers
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

I forgot that the bov you're using has all those options, no problem then.
Here's a typical comment on the hks I found, used with a Novi centrifugal sc sorta like yours: "It is barely open on vac and idle. Part throttle it is pretty much closed/open, decel it does the shs shs shshshshsh sound and under load it makes a nice chirp"
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Casper »

The attached sketch is my first iteration of the pressure box for the Jenvey intake manifolds. It would be made from welded 6061 Aluminum, mostly .125" thick, except the bottom extension tubes would be thicker tubing. The Velocity Stacks are just off-the-shelf EMPI units, 2-1/4" tall, they are steel and would be screwed down to the aluminum base plate.

I could go with a thicker material for the top section and also machine in some more flutes to match the extension tubes.

The HKS BOV is only shown on the side view on the sketch.
Attachments
First Draft
First Draft
IMG_0380.JPG (29.28 KiB) Viewed 610 times
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Casper »

Long long long time and no posts, very sorry. Not to worry the ASC project is still alive. But a bit of a side step, it will help the purist in me, and also others here who like to see LTDs remain stock. I am picking up another 76, that seems to be in reasonable restorable condition. It does start, but no one knew about the belt history so I only let them run it for about 90 seconds, no smoke, no bad engine noises, compressions were all in mid 140 range. It is mostly stock except for the saddle(which I do not care about as I will be fitting a custom Corbin), and the exhaust, again I am OK with aftermarket exhausts, and there could be some advantages when doing the S/C install. I have a set of NOS Sportster muffs, the aftermarket set up on the bike has a cross tube, so a good place for the WideBand sensor. The electrics have been hacked up a bit, but that does not worry me. I will be doing all custom lights on this one. I will put the LTD back to full stock condition, I still do have all the parts. Then the 'new' one will be the home for all the EFI S/C bits. This also gives me a lot more freedom to do radical changes, something I would not do to the LTD based bike. The serial numbers are all from a non LTD 76 Canadian model. It is an non Alberta bike, (meaning it has never been registered here) so I have to do some foot work to get it registered and on the road, but that is just a safety inspection by an approved shop. I have done a Canada wide check to be sure the Serial Numbers are not listed in any police theft database, which they are not. Pics will follow once I get it out to the shop.
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Post by Oldewing »

Sounds like a very good side trip on you journey Sir. I agree, keep the LTD nice, and more bikes is never a bad thing either....
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Casper »

Here is a couple of pictures of my 'new' 76, that will become the ASC. The first task will be to get the LTD up and running with all its LTD parts re-attached. That should not be too bad of a task as it is only basic wrenching that is required. That will give me a bike to to riding this Spring, once the snow goes away for good. I spent a small fortune last Summer on rentals to get my two wheel fixes in.

The new bike is a reasonable good runner, I did manage to take it out today on a couple of local airport roads. Had to dodge some small ice patches along the way. Got it up to 50MPH. No blue smoke, or oil leak, compression 140 all around. I did not do a leak down test yet.

This approach also gives me a lot more freedom to do up some custom work on the ASC, from a frame modification perspective. I am not really sure what I am going to do just yet, but I do considered the frame mods to be a clean sheet of paper right now. I do not think I will change anything with my actual EFI Super Charger setup, I am happy with what I have planned to date and think I will just stick to that plan.

I will end up with lots of spare parts that I will pass on to those in need as time goes by.
Attachments
The LTD is on the Bike Life, and the he 'new' 76 on its side stand
The LTD is on the Bike Life, and the he 'new' 76 on its side stand
IMG_0407.JPG (72.81 KiB) Viewed 568 times
Right Side of the new ASC bike
Right Side of the new ASC bike
IMG_0408.JPG (63.92 KiB) Viewed 568 times
Dog Boy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dog Boy »

That a way Casper! A EFI, SC, an LTD, a custom CORBIN and MBS! Looks like you're beginning to cover the alphabet quite nicely! Great feeling it must be, to be able to put the LTD back together. I had complete faith in you, that either way you went, the LTD would come out, unscathed. Looking forward to progress updates and pics. BTW, nice 76 you found, brother! Another successful hunt!

AL
They call me "Dog Boy"

Can't blame the "PO"
Original owner 76 LTD
Team 993
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Post by Oldewing »

Yep, good work finding that one Casper. Great starting point.
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

Heh Casper - how's this one coming along? I know you're staring at it while putting the LTD back together. Any thoughts you can share?
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg