Single Carb Conversion 2 Barrel Progressive, Runs Excellent

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Re: Single Carb Conversion 2 Barrel Progressive, Runs Excell

Post by Oldewing »

Yep, me too.
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Where is that "like" button when I want it? :)
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

sunnbobb wrote:Where is that "like" button when I want it? :)

dancr :orange anim-cheers1
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

randakk wrote:This thread has some tempting "bait."

But, it's not nearly tempting enough for me. Anyone wanting me to weigh in will have to try much, much harder

After 12+ years, I'm nearly immune to these threads now :)

Yes but you could teach classes on self control some of us should be court ordered to attend!!!!
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
randakk
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by randakk »

Whiskerfish wrote:
Yes but you could teach classes on self control some of us should be court ordered to attend!!!!
Maybe. But, PLEASE ...let's keep the courts out of this! :partytime
Randall Washington (Randakk)
Retired Founder - www.randakks.com/
Curator - www.facebook.com/groups/CarburetorAppreciationSociety

AussieGold
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by AussieGold »

i'm a little confused. here's a fellow who has done a conversion on his bike and has reported it here in an enthusiastic way. i know it's been done before , but he is reporting HIS experiences. for anyone to suggest he is being baited , may be exaggerating his own importance a wee bit. :IDTS: i see no baiting here, just a carb conversion.
sometimes i just don't get it..... :oops:
Mentor to all self appointed (and genuine) GURUS.

An LTD is........it just is.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

It's a long story. Very titillating, but a long story. Keep it on the thread. I like reading about everyone's experiments. Sometimes they go against traditional wisdom, but that's half the fun.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Dirt Road Cowboy
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Dirt Road Cowboy »

ericheath wrote:It's a long story. Very titillating, but a long story. Keep it on the thread. I like reading about everyone's experiments. Sometimes they go against traditional wisdom, but that's half the fun.
He, he, You said titillating!

Yeah, sometimes I'm still 10 years old. :lol:
78 GL1000

DirtRoadCowboy.com
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Very long story with years and years and years of aggravation. I will touch on it here.

Yes there are guys out there doing legitimate engineering and development but 95% of this has been done a dozen times or more and in the long run proven inferior. The thing that upsets most of us "purists" as we have been labeled is the very public and one sided misinformation campaign. I can not count the amount of times I have read boasts about a how a single Carb setup is superior to all the OEM setups. The OEM system is pure junk and nobody in the world can make them work. Well the are a few thousand of us here on this site alone that they work just fine for. I personally have well over 100,000 miles in the last 10 years on OEM carbs. My 78 runs all day getting 45 mpg and my 75 pulls so hard I get scared and shut it down about 130 mph. I would be willing to bet that 95 of the top 100 posters on this site are running OEM crabs. Some of us have been around the block once or twice.

The problem is the Newby's buy all this propaganda because they don't know any better. They come up with a barn find bike and immediately realize they are in over their head with the carbs and read about a miracle cure. Take this one pill and all your worries will go away. So they go out and spend countless hours and hundreds of dollars setting up a single Carb system that is not engineered or thought out or tested or designed to even a tenth of the degree that Honda did when they built the original design. If they are able to follow it through to completion and get it installed it almost never runs as advertised, and even if it did they have nothing to compare it against so they think it is great.

Yes there are single Carb setups out there that work.
Yes there are single carb setups out there that are easier to rebuild than the OEM setup.
Yes there are single carb setups out there that can compete on fuel economy
Yes there are single carb setups out there that can perform decently at idle.
Yes there are single carb setups out there that are relatively easy to build and install.
Yes there are single carb setups out there that will pull to the redline.
Yes there are single carb setups out there that cost less than rebuilding the OEM Rack.
Yes there are single carb setups out there that make the same or more power.
Yes there are single carb setups that do not have icing problems

BUT To the best of my knowledge the system does not exist that can do all of those things and that is where the misinformation comes in.

I can think of a half dozen guys in the last decade that tried to make a business out of selling a replacement for the OEM system and they all lost money and closed up shop. There is a reason for that. Some even lost money that belonged to other people in the course of their failures.

I have no problem with folks experimenting and sharing that information. That is what this place is about. Sharing ideas and knowledge and experience is what makes this a fantastic place to hang out. But way too often only one piece of the puzzle is presented at a time and it make things look a lot better than they really are.

That is the misinformation that upsets us "purists" and gives us an attitude. That is part of the reason we are so skeptical regarding the wild claims. We have heard them all before. Many Many times.

Before NGW there was the Backyard SIG and they spent years and years working on this before giving up. Yes Someday the exact right combination may be found. But there are legitimate challenges with making a single carb setup do all the things it needs to do in this application. I personally hold high hopes for what I see with the EFI guys. But the issue there is the expense. I really believe that is the best alternative but it would require an investment of much more than most of us have in the entire machine.

I do not believe any of us here want to shut down people working on the development of alternate carburation. I would not have started this forum devoted to it if I wanted that. But we do get tired of people bashing the OEM setup and presenting something we know as inferior for a replacement. According to what I read in some of these posts I should just go out to the shop and take all my OEM racks and throw them into the trash as they are not good for anything. I get real tired of reading that.

Enthusiasm about building something new is fantastic. And any builder should be enthusiastic about figuring out how to make something work or make it better. But we also want to make sure it is presented in a realistic light. Alternate carburation for these bikes should be pursued as a fun challenge to experiment and learn from. To continuously present it as an improvement over the OEM Setup is wrong.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Post by Oldewing »

action1 action1 action1 action1 action1

Yep, what he said.
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

And the crowd cheered!!
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

:popcorn:
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

action1 action1 action1 :orange :orange :orange action1 action1 action1 :orange :orange :orange action1 action1 action1 :orange :orange :orange
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
twowings
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by twowings »

I agree that the OEM rack is "complicated" but it's still the best solution. Single or dual throat carb solutions are fun and inventive but once you learn how to deal with the stock carbs, they work great.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Addicted to Honda's
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

Opinions are like butts. We've all got one...some are just bigger and noisier than others.

We've seen some odd carb arrangements here, they've all been good. Some probably run better (or at least different) than others, but what the heck, if you feel like playing, play.

My own "spin them suckers around" was pretty weird, but my first place has to go to the twin solexs facing forwards. I can't remember who did that but it had a pretty high bizarre factor going for it. Very steam punk.
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg