Single Carb Conversion 2 Barrel Progressive, Runs Excellent

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Alabaster
Lead Member
Lead Member

Re: Single Carb Conversion 2 Barrel Progressive, Runs Excell

Post by Alabaster »

So what's the latest with this thread? Did anyone ever find a part number or source for that particular carburetor?
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

$90 new from Stovebolt Engine Co I think. More extensive write-ups at Saunders and Classicgoldwing.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
sparrowhawk
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by sparrowhawk »

Been away from the GW forums for a while due to life getting in the way. Was stoked to get back on the CGW site and see what is happening with the single carb issue. Enjoyed reading through this thread. Just bought an 83 Interstate with plastic destroyed that I'm going to change back to a standard to start with. Beyond starting it to check the motor which is supposed to be good the stock carbs are coming off. LOL Thought about this for some time so I have to try making my own plenum to try some things. I have the advantage of a full fab shop so things can be done easier than the average home shop. :roll: Can't wait to see how it works pulling a sidecar. Oh, that is the other 83. :lol:
KixxGoldWing
Brass Member
Brass Member
My Album: http://s10.photobucket.com/user/kixxvaz ... 20Goldwing

Post by KixxGoldWing »

Empi plenum sold out... Was considering trying this mod. I pulled my stock carbs and I have alot of stripped screws from previous owners. Not sure if its worth rebuilding yet...
1978 GL1000
stuartdivebum
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by stuartdivebum »

I am in the process of doing this mod on one of mine, following Westgls info. Im pretty stoked about it :orange
82aspy
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 82aspy »

i was surprised by the reaction on this site to this thread and it clearly speaks volumes as to single carb conversion realities, i'm sure folks here have seen this many times before

i'm gonna check it out myself but at this point my opinion is it's mostly only viable for those willing and able to give it a shot on their own.

if you have to pay someone to do it, i'm not aware of much action in that area, and i certainly would not go down that road or even recommend it

even if you are successful by paying someone else, it's a can of worms that works for some folks and i doubt will do anything for value

who's gonna work on it if there is a problem on a trip?

you are pretty much tied to particular folks, or a person in the game, and if there are any problems, there are typically few options other than more money with someone else for a possible fix

i wouldn't even call the support for the diy anything to be excited about at this point
Empi plenum sold out... Was considering trying this mod. I pulled my stock carbs and I have alot of stripped screws

from previous owners. Not sure if its worth rebuilding yet...
i've seen empi plenums sold outa england (link on this site somewhere), and other usual sources, used, on that alone, there appear to be 2 diff ones, one way easier to adapt than the other,

it should also be noted that the author of these threads has been quiet lately
Last edited by 82aspy on Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"there is a Darwinian element"
Yoda said, "There is no try or not try; there is only do or don't do."
=====================
ngw quotes anim-cheers1 - \ "I will strip the beast" \ "the swingarm is just a hunk of metal" \ "gonna maybe ...dunno yet" \ "It's never done, thats the fun." \ "something about this site brings me back"
stuartdivebum
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by stuartdivebum »

When I see what carbs restorations are selling for and what this particular conversion runs cost wise, the conversion is lookin like a win. I located a weber carb and manifold, but will reserve judgment till its all together. Even if it doesn't work as I like, the time spent puttering in the garage is still time well spent. :)
KixxGoldWing
Brass Member
Brass Member
My Album: http://s10.photobucket.com/user/kixxvaz ... 20Goldwing

Post by KixxGoldWing »

I decided to restore my current ones thru Pistol Pete...
Once i have the bike running they way I want, I might consider tinkering a bit then.
1978 GL1000
82aspy
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 82aspy »

stuartdivebum wrote:I located a weber carb and manifold, but will reserve judgment till its all together.
witch ones? and that's a problem from the get go, what actually works?
=====================
ngw quotes anim-cheers1 - \ "I will strip the beast" \ "the swingarm is just a hunk of metal" \ "gonna maybe ...dunno yet" \ "It's never done, thats the fun." \ "something about this site brings me back"
stuartdivebum
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by stuartdivebum »

EMPI Plenum and Weber 32DFT Progressive carb
82aspy
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 82aspy »

you talkin tom's carb? what setup with the empi plenum? you do know there are 2 empi plenums?

i'm not even aware of a fully sorted intake, there are prob hundreds of possible bits to chose from on that alone if making a home brew set

westgl has done a good job providing info on his setup, actually, the best i've seen so far, nevertheless, there were issues as well as no cold start choke last i heard
=====================
stuartdivebum
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by stuartdivebum »

I live in South Florida, whats a choke? :mrgreen:
fish
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by fish »

IMHO
if a guy cannot get a stock set sorted out (all the engineering & jetting allready done by mother Honda)
then that guy will certainly not have the skills to make a single carb setup work!
Timothy Mark Fisher
Catalina Arizona
"ride it.. don't be one of those guys who will fix it 'til it's broken" (JDVorchek)
"It is not logic or economics that drive a motorcyclist but passion!" (bugdaddy66)
"I fully agree with fish, well at least 27% of the time."(Casper)
"Why do you have to ruin a perfectly good thread with common sense"(Placerville)
"my best guess for an answer would be a stream of complex expletives" (Transitman)
"I like a cold beer with my beer" (OldeWing)
"Most of us like the sport of wrenching too." (fred camper)
"Now go ride the heck out of it, til mother says do your chores"(Gowing)
"I agree with Fish" (Salukispeed)
Hal
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Hal »

fish wrote:IMHO
if a guy cannot get a stock set sorted out (all the engineering & jetting allready done by mother Honda)
then that guy will certainly not have the skills to make a single carb setup work!
Agree.

If I can do it twice using Randakk's kit and DVD, anyone can! ;)
I wouldn't fancy trying it using just the manuals, though.....that DVD is really thorough and complete, and well laid out.
"The Moving Finger writes, and having writ, moves on,
nor all your Piety nor Wit
can lure it back to cancel half a line...

so....probably best use Tipp-Ex in future?"

1977 GL1000 in bits
1978 SR 500 Yam
1995 Harley Sportster/Buell street-tracker
1992 Grinnall Scorpion SC3 prototype
2002 Caterham SV 220 Evo (4 wheeled motorcycle) :mrgreen:

Hal's Nalbum
stuartdivebum
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by stuartdivebum »

SIGH...
Last edited by stuartdivebum on Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.