GL1100 with throttle bodies (Fuel Injection)

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Apocalypsox
Lead Member
Lead Member

Re: GL1100 with throttle bodies (Fuel Injection)

Post by Apocalypsox »

Just wanted to drop in and tell you thank you for being so thorough with your descriptions. I just picked up an 81 GL1100 that I'll be converting to EFI, and seeing how others have done it (On the same bike even) is great info. Appreciate it!
jjona5
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Post by jjona5 »

Someone could make some semi decent money selling a kit for this. I'm on a volvo 240 forum and quite a few people buy microsquirt kits for those old cars and 240s sell for less than our old goldwings. I want to start piecing together a kit for my 79.
mccfloyd
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by mccfloyd »

about to rip off the one I have started and go back to carbs cant get a tach signal to save my life
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

Thanks Apocalypsox!
As for tach signal, I've read alot of reports about converting older engines to efi over the years, and would say that the #1 difficulty people run into is getting a good clean tach signal.
The gadget I currently like for solving this is the MSD 8918 GMR Tach Pickup (about $57 at Jegs, Amazon, etc).
It easily clamps to the engines B+ battery connection going to the coils, and delivers a clean 12v square wave pulse every 180 degrees crank rotation (on a stock Goldwing 4cyl).
I think it's a better replacement for the homemade transistor circuit I used initially (and also steering diode types); it uses a high tech sensor that should work with any kind of ignition, even magnetos.
1981 Goldwing Standard - efi'd, other stuff
TheChewy
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by TheChewy »

how has it worked out so far? do you have a parts list that i could use?
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

Still running well. Don't really have a parts list other than what's here. One problem with trying to do a parts list is that there's been several versions of this thing, mainly using different crank triggers and ignitions systems. In the early stages, I was using a 100% stock gl1100 ignition, which ran well. Then gradually changed things so that am now using a custom coil-on-plug ignition, which runs a little better and uses about half the power of the stock waste fire system.
Toehead
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Toehead »

Mine is also still running well. It's a big bonus that I can just put it away for the winter without worrying about anything getting gunky.
2012 Golf TDI, fast and frugal oil burner
1980 CX500C, All around road warrior (Sold)
1975 TS125 (Sold), old smoker
1977 naked GL1000, Highway cruiser
'81 GL1100 14,000 (reconditioned and sold)
'81 GL1100 50,000 miles (under construction)
2X 1981 CM400 beginner bike (sold)
1980 CB750C (sold)
1994 Virago 750 (Wifey's bike)
'76 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow (Megasquirted efi build) http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=59774
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

Well, made it through the lockdown ok. Started right up, although had to replace the battery. Couldn't quite turn over without the charger attached.
And... decided that now is the time to sell the old girl. Am getting to the age where still enjoy riding, but coming back from an accident might likely be a different story. Have actually switched to ebikes; slower but safer?
Anyway, OK to post this here? If so, NGW ride-home special price, includes Innovate wide band O2 sensor, Microsquirt, bluetooth, cop ignition, and rebuilt oem carb rack (in case your're wary of all the electronic stuff)...
sidestbd2.jpg
sidestbd2.jpg (44.57 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
Last edited by socrace on Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Hope you stay involved in this forum. You have a lot of knowledge regarding FI conversions. Have fun with the ebike.
"When writing the Story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen."

Ernest

1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Sugs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sugs »

Dang, wish you were closer...

'79 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

Bike is sold, but will drop in here occasionally. Hard to end Goldwing ownership cold turkey.
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Bob - trust you've been dropping in everyone and then. I mentioned that I am replacing the ECU for my '85 FI GW model with a Speeduino unit. Has been a steep learning experience. A bumpy start to the replacement project, too many things to play with, and lack of understanding regarding the process. Set me back a few times.

Have had to modify the EFI system, started with the OEM VR crank/cam sensors and the 8 tooth crank trigger wheel, and single cam shaft trigger wheel. Speeduino did not like the cam shaft VR sensors, could not get a good signal at low RPM so went with a 36-1 crank trigger wheel. Got the engine started and into tuning with this configuration.

It was mentioned that modifying an older installed EFI system can be a PITA and component changes are generally done. Have changed out the spark igniters for a Mitsubishi J723T coil driver.

Keeping the wasted spark for the time being, but looking at sequential ignition down the road. If I do do sequential ignition will change the coil driver to the Bosch 211 coil driver because it can accept up to 4 ignition circuits.

Have since installed Hall effect sensors for crank and cam signals, Cherry GS100701 sensors, fit in the same space as the OEM VR sensors. Took out the 36-1 crank trigger wheel, installed the OEM 8 tooth crank trigger wheel and the OEM cam shaft trigger wheel and sync signals are good.

Going back to a dual wheel system allowed me to go to sequential fuel injection and the engine appears to like this better than the paired fuel injection system.

Sent a set of injectors to Keith Brewer at Injector Experts for servicing and data gathering. The OEM fuel injectors are purported to be 284 cc/min injectors, but I received info that has the OEM fuel injectors flowing at 315 cc/min. Using the 284 cc/min at 3 bar fuel pressure had the air-fuel mixture too rich. Changing to 315 cc/min brought the air-fuel mixture into a better range.

Changed up the OEM fuel supply system with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, non return valve on the downstream side of the fuel pump and use newer AN fittings.

Used your vacuum system recommendation, bringing the 4 vacuum ports into a mixing block then out to the ECU MAP sensor. The MAP lowest MAP reading that I have been able to get to is 60 kPa, in line with what you had.

Installed a 14point7 WBO2 sensor.

Changed out the OEM resistor pack and installed one 6 ohm resistor (had these on hand) per injector. Did this as a best practice recommendation from the Speeduino forum in that with a shared resistor, no guarantee that the power is going to be divided evenly between the two injectors.

Made an external timing mark system using the crank trigger wheel and engine case pointer on the left side of the timing belt area. Works very well and is easier to use than the engine timing port that is soaked in oil when turning and not that easy to see.

Thought I knew a bit about EFI, but found that I was not as informed and knowledgeable as I expected, steep learning curve as mentioned.

Understanding acronyms, tuning software feature/function relationships and such has been a necessary evil. Finding information on these is not done without a lot of research.

This project has given me a new and better understanding why these type of projects do not get started, or if stared do not come to fruition. Having mentioned this, carb modifications from OEM configuration to a single carb conversion or dual single carb conversions continue to be done.

Enough of the pontification, just thought an update might spruce up your fall season.

Cheers.

Ernest
"When writing the Story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen."

Ernest

1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)