All around the Pacific northwest!

This Forum is for the sharing of information related to routes and rides. A place to share Ride Reports, Ride Video's, Routes, Stories, etc etc etc....

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, Forum Moderators

mr west
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

All around the Pacific northwest!

Post by mr west »

OK!

I got my flight tickets for the US...Getting in last of April, and out last of May... the bike is waiting in its garage in LA...

Looks like the sequel to last summers coast to coast adventure is gonna be a maybe even longer ride around the Pacific northwest! This time we have a whole month! I haven't studied the map much yet, but Amanda has lots of ideas where to go! Some things she talked about was, if I remember correctly, and in rough order, Grand Canyon (that we missed last time), Utah, Glacier National Park, Washington Alps, Redwood, Lake Tahoe, a bit of Canada, Seattle, San Franscisco, And then Highway 1 down back to LA.

I'm at this point mostly thinking about things to fix on the bike to make it sail smooth for all of the above. If the bike runs well I'm sure it will be a great trip wherever we end up going in the end. And even though this trip might become longer that the coast to coast one, we have more days and hopefully less stress. As much as I like riding, I can do without the crazy after dark drives with all these kamikaze animals...
1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000 Vetter
Sugs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: All around the Pacific northwest!

Post by Sugs »

Hey, welcome back! Gotta put Yosemite Valley on that list, too good to pass up.

'79 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

After all the snow the west has seen this winter I doubt many of the high altitude areas will be cleared of snow. The Pacific NW is better done in late June and July, particularly Glacier NP. I've seen where Going to the Sun road wasn't open in some years until after the 4th of July. I certainly don't think it will be open in April or May. Same goes for the Lassen Volcano Scenic Drive and Highway 120 in Yosemite in California, however, the coastal highway should be good. Ric from Norway is coming over for a 10 day trip over Easter and the suggestions I sent him for that time of year can be found in this thread. .viewtopic.php?f=19&t=62188 Take a look at it I think you might find some interesting ideas for your trip since you're going to the Grand Canyon you'll be right in the area for many of the places depicted and May is the perfect time of year to see these areas as its not too hot like it gets in June through September.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
mr west
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mr west »

Thanks for the tips! Will check out the link! Yes, it sounds like it would have been better to go later in summer, but this was the only time we could get a whole month, so Im happy to get the chance at all!
1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000 Vetter
mr west
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mr west »

Just placed order for:

clamp on rear view mirror
thermo fan switch
Dyna ignition
honda grips
front brake lever switch (MC is from Kawasaki Z1)
and yes ......timing belts

The P.O. says he drove 1000 miles after renovating, but even though that seems true, other things have been fishy, so I decided to rather be safe than sorry.

Looking forward! Hoping to get the bike ready in a few days after arriving in LA, and then get moving!
1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000 Vetter
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Hope it goes as well as last time and looking forward to your reports!!
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

The Pacific Northwest is where I live. I personally would plan on miserable conditions. The north cascades will not be open and the Olympics very cold. I would consider a southwest journey during this time period...
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

tag again.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
DUGG
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by DUGG »

sunnbobb wrote:The Pacific Northwest is where I live. I personally would plan on miserable conditions. The north cascades will not be open and the Olympics very cold. I would consider a southwest journey during this time period...
Way to sell him on the Pacific Northwet Bob. But I agree it's still pretty cold and wet here on the west side of the mountains. I just heard this morning their talking another eight weeks or so until the north Cascade highway will be open. But he's from Sweden maybe this is summer like whether for him?
heraldhamster
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by heraldhamster »

I ride year round as long as there isn't ice on the roadways. as sunnbobb said, there can be varying extremes of weather. But if you're prepared it can be nice riding. we haven't had below freezing temps in a couple of weeks, maybe three, & I'm 6 miles from the Canada border off the 5 freeway.

if you get up this far on your travels lemme know, we have a few acres with 80'+ evergreen trees, a year-round stream, random wildlife & a warm, dry spot to sleep in private quarters. but fair warning, WC facilities are primitive and no shower or tub (yet).

safe travels!
sorta bulldogged custom 1978 GL1000 - "geekster"
full Vetter dress 1979 GL1000 - "Barge" (currently down)
1986 1200 Aspencade - "Heart of Gold" - daily rider
1990 1500 Aspencade - It's ALIVE! but very, very naked. not in a good way.
1978 for $100 - project in worx
1978 from a previous member here - taking up space
my original '79 bought in '91 - replacing engine (eventually, maybe someday)

H2G2=42

A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity. ~ Robert A. Heinlein

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
mr west
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mr west »

Thanks for the heads up about the wheather.... hmm I guess me and my riding partner are gonna have to sit down and figure which route to choose.

Normally I find it pleasant to ride as long as its above 10 degrees celcius at least. Summer wheather.. yeah, last year it was 13 C on midsummer and 14 C on christmas!

Thanks for the invitation Heraldhamster! The original plan was to go up to Canada indeed, lets see what will happen!

If anyone reading this has a more OEM style seat and is willing to sell or trade for my king and queen one I would be happy! I just need to be able to slide around more and change position I guess.
1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000 Vetter
mr west
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mr west »

So the story so far... arrived like a wreck at LAX after an 11 hrs flight sunday... still nice to get picked up by Amanda and get some Tuna steak down by the beach before heading to the house and an early night...

Jetlagged I started to work on the bike monday. Up to now I have managed to change the belts, changed bad pulley, attach new rear view mirror, front brake light switch, clean out the tank, fuel filter, clear the fuel pickups, new grips, and rerouted the throttle cables.

Thermo fan switch turned out to be fine, seems the PO attached the manual switch anyway. I dont get it...? Cant figure out the wiring so that has to stay as is for now.

Started to install Dyna ignition, but since the PO has overtighted everything, i stripped the phillips screw holding the breaker points backing plate. Now waiting for a impact hammer to try to get it out...

It would be so nice to set sail towards Grand Canyon tomorrow... but lets see!!!
Attachments
IMG_20170501_115145.jpg
IMG_20170501_115145.jpg (274.1 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
VID_20170501_115448.mp4
(17.04 MiB) Downloaded 256 times
IMG_20170502_085003.jpg
IMG_20170502_085003.jpg (264.39 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
Performance update! All rust out from fuel filter...
Performance update! All rust out from fuel filter...
IMG_20170502_104019.jpg (307.4 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
IMG_20170502_140049.jpg
IMG_20170502_140049.jpg (210.91 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000 Vetter
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

That extra 3 time zones flying to the west coast can be a real kick in the butt.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
mr west
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mr west »

Yeah, those timezones kicked my butt to the point that when I wanted to lose the water pump housing to move the radiator out of the way for the timing belt operation I started to unscrew the whole transmission cover! And because the PO had overtightened everything the stud snapped inside.....

Then removed the timing belt covers. Overtightened. That stud snapped too.

Installed new timing belts and wanted to move on to clean the fuel pump. Overtightened so one of the screws stuck.

And the breaker point backing plate is still stuck too...
1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000 Vetter
mr west
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mr west »

Tough situation when all you want to do is get the bike healthy and get going! Instead youre standing there with a 38 year old piece of land filling, one month of lost adventures and headache..

Luckily Amandas whole family kept my tormented mind somewhat cool by incredible technical, moral, and gastronomical support!

We decided after trying an inpact hammer without success to take the bike to a shop with the right tools....

The service center guy at simi valley cycles was unimpressed by my ride.... "dude, we wouldnt even take that bike into the shop".. Come on, its just a screw in the timing thats easy to get to! And when he saw there was a cover over the points he said "no way! Were not touching it". I asked to use their phone since i dont have an american sim and he went "dude how do even get around..? Youre like... stranded!"

My luck turned around as I bumped into a senior worker on my way out. He on the other hand didnt have any problem to direct us to a machine shop nearby, J&P precision deburring.
Attachments
IMG_20170503_110818.jpg
IMG_20170503_110818.jpg (216.12 KiB) Viewed 1091 times
1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000 Vetter