Short ride around the mountains, with photos

This Forum is for the sharing of information related to routes and rides. A place to share Ride Reports, Ride Video's, Routes, Stories, etc etc etc....

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, Forum Moderators

propav8r
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Short ride around the mountains, with photos

Post by propav8r »

So this weekend, the weather cooperated and I was able to put the Buffet Racer through its paces around the WNC area.

On Saturday. I just took a short run down to Clayton, GA for lunch at the Universal Joint. On the way back up, I hit GA246/NC106 up through Sky Valley, GA, Scaly Mountain, NC, and into Highlands.

Had to stop at the Blue Valley overlook for a quick photo:

Then it was on into Highlands for a quick pit stop and coffee fill-up at Mountain Fresh Grocery

With the change in elevation, it had gotten pretty chilly by this point. Luckily, I wasn't far from home, and the ride back into Franklin only left my hands numb...I really need some non-ventilated gloves for cold weather riding.

Sunday, I hung around the house for a bit to get the remodeling crew started in the bathroom, then I built a new stand for my aquarium, since it needs to move to the basement.

By about 11am, it had warmed up enough to ride, so I pulled the bike out of the garage, geared up, and hit the road.

I'm still very new to riding, so I decided to stick to roads I know well to start to get a feel for the bike. I struck out on Highway 64 east, back towards Highlands, backtracking the route I had taken the previous night. By the time I got a few miles out of town, it was apparent that the grandmother in the Buick in front of me had no intention of turning or pulling off to let me by, so I swung over on to Pine Creek road for the shortcut around.

I love Pine Creek. Gradual uphill grade, slightly banked turns, and no traffic. I started getting really comfortable on the bike...pick your throtte position, lean in, push the inside, remember to stay loose. I was a little nervous at first and it showed, navigating the first few miles at 30mph, but a couple miles in, things started clicking. By the time I had gotten past Lake Glenville to Tuckaseegee, I was leaning far enough to have scraped the pegs a couple times. I had a handful of turns that just *clicked*...the right throttle, the right lean, the right countersteering, and out the other side quickly and smoothly. Such a rewarding feeling knowing you nailed it, countered by the next turn where I botched it entirely. :IDTS: Oh well, I'll get there eventually.

When I got to 107, I decided to head towards Hendersonville by way of Highway 215/281. More learning commenced. It really was a beautiful day for a ride.

I hadn't been to Hendersonville in awhile...they've rerouted main street and made it very pedestrian/tourist/small business friendly.

Out of Hendersonville and hungry, I turned north on 191. Then I found it.

The Greenhouse Moto Cafe!

How cool is this? It's a bar and music venue with a killer food truck out to the side in an old converted greenhouse. BSAs, Nortons, and Moto Guzzis line the walls and floors...some running, some not, others in varying states of disarray.

An eclectic assortment of bikes appeared outside, everything from a VF500 Interceptor to a Harley chopper and a couple Triumph triples were parked outside.

After a beer, warmth, and funky jam music, I was off again. Taking the back way towards Asheville enabled me to stay a little warmer at slower speeds since the temp had started to drop off from about 62* into the upper 50s. I happened on a 4wd meetup in the parking lot of the brewery with the locals engaged in what can only be described as "Jeep Things"

In Asheville, I stopped to say hello to a friend who had just returned from competing at Sandblast Rally in Cheraw, SC with his Audi CQ. Despite hitting a triple caution at full speed...

He finished 8th overall and 4th in class. A resounding success for a second attempt at rallying.

Leaving his house at dusk, I had to stop and find some gloves...the best I could do were leather gloves from Target, but better than the ventilated riding gloves I had on.

I stuck mostly to the highway, with a couple sidetracks through towns to slow down and warm up a bit. During my loop around Asheville, I had to hit Tunnel Road...pardon the wind noise and poor camera angle.

I arrived home at about 8:30, a little chilly, but with a big grin. All said, the '78 has an extra 300 miles or so on it after this weekend. I can't wait until it warms up a bit and I can start planning some long-distance trips.
CYBORG

Re: Short ride around the mountains, with photos

Post by CYBORG »

Thanks for sharing. Brings back some good memories
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

sounds like a great 2 days.
I just checked the temp outside. it's 10F here right now as I head out to the garage to work on my wing..
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

tumb2
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Nice ride ....

Gord anim-cheers1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Great ride. Been on many of those roads, it is a beautiful area for sure!
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
HOTT
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.php/wingmans/HOTT

Post by HOTT »

Great shakedown indeed! Great riding country. Thanks for sharing...
WITH photos anim-cheers1

HOTT
If we can't fix it, we can fix it so no one else can.
the Condor BOTY 2011
Ol' Sparky BOTM Dec. 2011
Lucky #13 BOTY 2018