Coast to coast in the U.S.

This Forum is for the sharing of information related to routes and rides. A place to share Ride Reports, Ride Video's, Routes, Stories, etc etc etc....

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, Forum Moderators

Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Coast to coast in the U.S.

Post by Old Fogey »

When Cyborg and I were going through the Rocky Mountan National Park, we rounded a corner to find a female moose standing right in the middle of the road. Fortunately we were sight-seeing and going slow. She just looked at us as if to say 'who the hell are you?' and went over the side down the mountain. I hate to think what damage could have been done, probably to both of us, if we had been travelling quickly.
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
mr west
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mr west »

So we yesterday finally we arrived in Duluth.. It was great to visit the US Brig Niagara on which Amanda used to live and work about 8 years ago. Its really like a floating museum, even though the ship has sunk and been rebuilt so many times. We had a nice chat below deck with with her old friend, who has now grown a huge beard and became the Captain! Didnt spend too much time around the festival though, as it was just too crowded.

Americans loves their trucks. A pick up truck with a huge engine seems to be the everyday car for most people...
The videos on the country music TV channel feature huge trucks and there are even songs about that money cannot buy everything in life, BUT it can buy you a boat... And a truck to pull it...
99.9% of the trucks just carry the driver and the bed is empty though. So while pulling up to a gas station I was laughing in my helmet when I saw a truck pulling a boat at the next pump. As I took a picture of it, a guy came out confronting me.. I guess he thought I was gonna steal it, but after calming him down, the conversation quickly turned to his swedish roots and vintage stereo equipment... So after making friends I just filled up some "recreational gas" and we went on the way again. We are entering the mid west and theres a lot of swedish and norwegian descendants here. Today we might just pass close to Mora or Malmo, which I guess are named after their swedish counterparts?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (182.07 KiB) Viewed 332 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (217.8 KiB) Viewed 332 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (219.91 KiB) Viewed 332 times
c2c gas.jpg
c2c gas.jpg (97.31 KiB) Viewed 248 times
1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000 Vetter
mr west
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mr west »

Old Fogey wrote:When Cyborg and I were going through the Rocky Mountan National Park, we rounded a corner to find a female moose standing right in the middle of the road. Fortunately we were sight-seeing and going slow. She just looked at us as if to say 'who the hell are you?' and went over the side down the mountain. I hate to think what damage could have been done, probably to both of us, if we had been travelling quickly.
When they give you that look, it can be quite intimidating! Happened to me mountainbiking in sweden...
1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000 Vetter
mr west
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mr west »

When we go 60-80 mph the mileage im getting is around 35-40 mpg. Is that normal for the 78/79 model? I was expecting more. I guess our instruments catch alot of wind sticking out on the sides, so maybe thats why?

Oil consumption: still zero!
1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000 Vetter
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Yea the bike was built back when we had a national speed limit of 55 mph so above the the economy really suffers. 35-40 is about right for thruway speeds. They generally do pretty good up to about 65 mph then it really starts to drop off.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
mr west
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mr west »

Would do you guys say about this tire...? Should i get a new one right away?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (204.19 KiB) Viewed 320 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (190.3 KiB) Viewed 320 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (249.92 KiB) Viewed 320 times
1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000 Vetter
Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

I would. Looks like a possible belt failure and sooner or later I would expect it is going to strand you. I have had a catastrophic rear tire failure but it was only about 45 mph. I do not want to experience one at thruway speeds double up and loaded heavy.

Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

That tire is an accident waiting to happen. Best would be to replace it ASAP. I bet the date code on that tire old.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
Brant
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/brant/

Post by Brant »

Looks like its fixing to split open !
83 GL 1100 bagger Ugly Betty
ALL WE WANT TO DO IS DRINK OUR ESPRESSO, RIDE OUR MACHINES, AND NOT BE HASSLED BY THE MAN
Owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that.
"Don't sweat the little things, guys, take care and appreciate all that you have around you!" - Fewman
NGWclub on Facebook
mr west
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mr west »

As usual rain stopped at check out and we were on our way.. Going through Minnesota you get a feeling of how big this country his. All flat, so the sky is huge all around. Storms over there, sunny over there... You can see miles and miles away in all directions. We hit rain here and there but nothing that doesnt dry up quickly. The driving is becoming really contemplative, and i find myself zone out in a relaxed but concentrated state.. When its time to fill up gas I realise how far apart gas stations are here... 130....140... When the trip meter says 150 its really time to fill. But the station we found just closed!! Amanda locates the next station 20 miles ahead. This will take some real economical driving to reach... And wouldnt you believe that just as i turn for the station the engines dies! Luckily we have some speed to just roll in neutral the last 20 meters to the pump. I fill up over 5 gallons and we decide to try to make to Sioux Falls as there is a bike service there that is open Sundays and we cross or fingers that they would have a spare tire for us... Going 40-50 mph Im hoping I could manouvre through any rear tire failure as its just flat, straight, no traffic and soft grass on the sides of the road... At 10 pm we reach the motel, which turns out to be the funkiest so far... Bad smell, wierd neighbours, strange stains on the walls... I like it!
c2c swede sign.jpg
c2c swede sign.jpg (88.19 KiB) Viewed 248 times
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (286.2 KiB) Viewed 295 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (191.76 KiB) Viewed 295 times
c2c 5gal.jpg
c2c 5gal.jpg (82.31 KiB) Viewed 259 times
1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000 Vetter
Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

Might want to really examine the front tire as well, and check the date on that.

minhoj
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by minhoj »

mr west wrote:Would do you guys say about this tire...? Should i get a new one right away?
Yes! Change!! Take care of your "load"
We are enjoying your story and all the pix a lot.
Take care

OT to mrwest:
Clutch hub and bearing didn't help the vibration (even the bearing was in bad shape)
Primary chain and adjustment shoe didn't help either
Now I found a leaking head gasket, waiting for parts now...
Maybe that will help
I had to cancel the run "Mälarn runt" yesterday, very sad to break the 16-years-in-a-row :(
/minhoj

Don't own a GW myself but my friend is wrenching and parking his in my garage...
mr west
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mr west »

Front tire we changed in NY as that one was really dry. Will try to change the rear one first thing today!
1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000 Vetter
TNTbefree
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TNTbefree »

Close call on the fuel situation. When I take a long trip, I pick up a 2-Cycle 50:1 Pre-Blended Fuel can and throw it in the bag for emergencies. I know, it's for 2 cycle engines, but it is small, sealed up tight, and works when needed.
fuel can.jpg
fuel can.jpg (5.06 KiB) Viewed 271 times
82aspy
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 82aspy »

that rear tire is a replace right away deal, at least for anything other than very low speed puttin' about town stuff, at best
"there is a Darwinian element"
Yoda said, "There is no try or not try; there is only do or don't do."
=====================
ngw quotes anim-cheers1 - \ "I will strip the beast" \ "the swingarm is just a hunk of metal" \ "gonna maybe ...dunno yet" \ "It's never done, thats the fun." \ "something about this site brings me back"