Coast to coast in the U.S.

This Forum is for the sharing of information related to routes and rides. A place to share Ride Reports, Ride Video's, Routes, Stories, etc etc etc....

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, Forum Moderators

Not Done Yet
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Re: Coast to coast in the U.S.

Post by Not Done Yet »

I just discovered this thread and am immensely enjoying reading about your adventures. I rode with my girlfriend (later wife) two up from Boston to Atlanta back in the early 80's so this brings back some great memories...we diverted over to the Blue Ridge Parkway, came around a bend and there were 6 or 8 wild turkeys in the road that scattered immediately - good times! Keep posting as we're enjoying the notes and the pictures, and do get that back tire addressed as soon as possible. Safe travels and greetings from Houston, Texas!
Steve
82 GL1100
Houston, TX

"Is it a project? Nah, it's therapy..."
mr west
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mr west »

Im happy we can bring back nice memories for some!

So we are now here in Sioux falls. The repair/tire shop that internet said would be open on Sundays wasnt. So we just spent yesterday shifting from a quite expensive hell-hole type of motel to what seems like a castle in comparison. The first place had all kinds of shady people of different body constitutions limping around smelling of different substances.. The floor was covered by brown, slightly wet fluffy carpet, and i dont even know if that was the original colour... The shower was cracked so it had all kinds of inventive repair of ducktape.

But in the afternoon we made our way down to the falls. It took some time though, as we stayed in each bar on the way down to try new beers. Surprisingly good selection in a otherwise trashy town it seems.

Then on the way back we met up with a friend of Amanda and his crew as they are on s different kind of tour -a moving art installation -"the truth booth", were people are videod speaking the truth. So far they have been in Afghanistan, south africa and now they are in the process of completing all of the united states...

Today we have hopes to get the tire done, as its monday!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (212.38 KiB) Viewed 1505 times
c2c tracks.jpg
c2c tracks.jpg (93.96 KiB) Viewed 1479 times
1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000 Vetter
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Brave girl! Those tracks look well used..............
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
mr west
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mr west »

After calling all around Sioux Falls, Amanda finds a place that should have a fitting tire just about 10 mins away. We go to "Competition cycles", leave the bike and head for breakfast nearby.. I have a delicious tuna melt and then we go back to see if theres any progress with bike... Seems like a trusthworthy old mechanic is just balancing the wheel as we return. New Shinko tire, balancing, some lube paste on the rear drive splines, and the trips first top up of oil, and we are on our way. 217 dollars must be concidered ok, as its only about 3 hrs since we first called them... The mechanic claims to the "goldwing guy" around town, but his claims are backed up by an identical 79 GL with vetter fairing and a 1100 also sitting around the garage..

Riding today was tough, mostly due to heavy crosswinds. It was like a never ending wrestling match with the bike... Crossing the Missouri River I felt the front wheel jumping one meter to the side in one leap! But it was also a very beautiful ride through south dakota.

Crossing the great plains is a humbling experience. Its just so huge! Gas stations were 100 miles apart so i got a little nervous there.

Out in the middle of nowhere after one hour without traffic, all of a sudden theres a guy with a stop sign next to the road... Ok some road work ahead and we have to wait for a pilot car to lead us through.. Then a car comes after us in line. The guy jumps out and starts to talk to us. Hes very nice and it turns out he has a finnish wife so he has been to sweden many times. We speak about the trip and he gives us his business card, because he wants to now where we will end up. Amanda sees his card and says "wait a minute... Youre from the town Gary? Where we tried to fill gas before we almost stranded the other day?" And the guy goes: yeah sure! I pump gas in Gary!

So this actually was the guy that closed his station early when we were trying to get gas the other day, so that we almost ran out of it!

In that way its a small country...,

The rest of the ride was beautiful and we reached our motel at sunset... Evening was spent with beer, grilled cheese, sallad, and then a late evening dip in the motel pool!

Tomorrow we will enter the Badlands, and I guess it will be even more scenic then!
Attachments
c2c train2.jpg
c2c train2.jpg (98.92 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
c2c bike.jpg
c2c bike.jpg (107.48 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
c2c speedo train bike.jpg
c2c speedo train bike.jpg (129.32 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
c2c no shirt.jpg
c2c no shirt.jpg (86.72 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
Last edited by mr west on Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000 Vetter
mr west
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mr west »

More...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (214.26 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (194.83 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000 Vetter
Brant
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/brant/

Post by Brant »

Cross country trips are amazing adventures, and you are having a doozy !! Thanks for the pics. If you get to Rapid City, South Dakota and need anything, we have a member there that I'm sure would be available. Stay safe !
83 GL 1100 bagger Ugly Betty
ALL WE WANT TO DO IS DRINK OUR ESPRESSO, RIDE OUR MACHINES, AND NOT BE HASSLED BY THE MAN
Owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that.
"Don't sweat the little things, guys, take care and appreciate all that you have around you!" - Fewman
NGWclub on Facebook
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Planning your trip West, I recommend travelling highway 20 across the northern part of washington. At the western end, tour the San Juan islands. Coming this far, don't give in to cutting south across the state. You won't regret traveling the northern route, we call it the Washington Alps.
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
mr west
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mr west »

Yeah, what you reccomend might just be one of the most beautiful places on earth.... But as i need to be in vegas 27:th theres just no time. The other day I spoke with my aunt there on the phone and if I want to see her I need time for that too.

Good news is that Amandas parents in LA seem ti have an empty garage...Its a quite tempting proposition to leave the bike there and come back for more touring later...
1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000 Vetter
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

mr west wrote:.Its a quite tempting proposition to leave the bike there and come back for more touring later...
Yup, Do It! That's why my good bike is permanently over there. You will not regret it for a moment, and in the future maybe can join in on some of the rallies.
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

That is a great story about the gas station attendant!!
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
brokentoe
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by brokentoe »

The sunflower picture...very nice. I always have to go north to see that and it's always a great surprise to round a curve and see a field of sunflowers all turning to catch the sun. thanks for sharing.
Faith, Family and Friends
'75 GL1000 (Feb 2012 BOTM)
2014 Softail Deluxe
1966 Suzuki S 32-2 Olympian

The craftsman is proud of what he has made, and cherishes it, while the consumer discards things that are perfectly serviceable in his restless pursuit of the new." Richard Sennett as quoted by Matthew B. Crawford in Shop Class as Soulcraft

Working on your own motorcycle is half of the fun...it's also half of the problem.

First Fire on Youtube!
Brant
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/brant/

Post by Brant »

brokentoe wrote:The sunflower picture...very nice. I always have to go north to see that and it's always a great surprise to round a curve and see a field of sunflowers all turning to catch the sun. thanks for sharing.
Several times on a couple different trips I have come across a wheat field. A true field of gold. In Washington and Colo. In Colo. the wheat field ran the length of a plain, sitting on a hillside. Combines were harvesting and it was so Americana I had to stop and watch. On the road, the next great surprise is always just around the corner.
83 GL 1100 bagger Ugly Betty
ALL WE WANT TO DO IS DRINK OUR ESPRESSO, RIDE OUR MACHINES, AND NOT BE HASSLED BY THE MAN
Owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that.
"Don't sweat the little things, guys, take care and appreciate all that you have around you!" - Fewman
NGWclub on Facebook
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

On the road, the next great surprise is always just around the corner... nice quote Brant
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
mr west
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mr west »

Perfect quote indeed!

Yesterday was a great day! Speaking
about surprises around the corner, yesterday there was quite a few times we screamed straight out in our helmets coming over a hill or around a bend, amazed by the sheer beauty of things... Of course the best moments didnt make it in to my camera but they never do anyway..

We went through the badlands and made mount rushmore and the custer state park.. The wildlife loop was also incredible and because we needed to stop all the time, we didnt made it out of there until sundown.. So then we ended up catching on to the iron mountain trail in the dark! That might have been stupid, but it was a cool surrealistic experience with the 360 bends in pitch darkness too...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (251.42 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (187.31 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (181.98 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
c2c tunnel.jpg
c2c tunnel.jpg (82.49 KiB) Viewed 1360 times
1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000 Vetter
mr west