Site Maintenence

to Honda GoldWing Talk Forum. Membership is not restricted, anyone can become a Registered Member by signing up for free.
Our major area of interest is Honda GoldWing, especially "naked" and customized GoldWings. We will also highly welcome our brothers and sisters on their fulldressers. Have fun.

Moderator: Whiskerfish

Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Site Maintenence

Post by Whiskerfish »

We have several programs on the site that have gone past their support date and are no longer as secure as we like so they need updated.

This is going to require a fairly significant update to our operating system. Hopefully the site down time should be minimal but you will notice some changes as it comes back up. Some changes will stay and some will be massaged as time goes on. We have complete backups so no current data is in danger.

Hoping this will all be accomplished in the next 24 hours or so.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Re: Site Maintenence

Post by Whiskerfish »

The bulk of the updates have gone successfully. This is a major change in the phpbb software and unfortunately is not as adaptable as the previous version so get used to this look. There may be a few tweaks here and there but the general appearance will stay pretty much as it is now.

I am one that dislikes change for the sake of change but this was overdue and was necessary for the security of the board. The previous version of the software had passed the end of it's support and was no longer being updated for new security threats. Sooner or later that would have opened us up to hostile attacks. Having rebuilt this forum in the past that is not a road I ever wish to go down again.

Beside appearances there are two significant changes that will affect/effect the membership.

First is hopefully a huge improvement for mobile users. The new program is written to be much more mobile friendly.

Second is about uploading pictures. In the past to post a picture directly to your thread it had to be reduced to 256kb or less before the board would accept it. Now the Board will do that automatically. Anything up to 25Mb can be linked directly to your post and the software will reduce it down to a 600 x 500 pixel image. Outside hosted pics (imageshack photobombhub whatever) can be linked in at 1024 x 900 pixels. I have not tested that yet but I believe the software will reduce to those dimensions automatically as well. So there should be no more photo's running off the pages.

A final note is one of Many Thanks to our tech expert Roncar. I am sure I could have accomplished this update but what he did in 90 minutes would have probably taken me a week of sleepless nights to fumble my way through. He has been working on this update on and off for over a year on our test site and much of this was cut and paste of his efforts, and that is what allowed this update to go smoothly. I can not express how much His service to this board is appreciated.