Reviving 76 LTD

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Francis
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Reviving 76 LTD

Post by Francis »

its-alive.jpg
its-alive.jpg (32.41 KiB) Viewed 672 times
Well, I fogged the cylinders, new plugs, dropped the old coolant filled with 50/50 new stuff, drained old oil and changed the filter did the 30 weight fill, drained old gas and installed a fuel filter, looked inside the tank with a borescope cam and did not find anything detrimental, the gas cap had some rust on it ,so I took care of that .....filled tank with 3 gallons of regular swish it around and drained it into a coffee filter which was inside a funnel, got nothing for residue action1
I'm gotta keep the gas for the snowblower . The carbs were re-built by an accredited Honda mechanic, which I found out yesterday from the previous owner, the tech works for the local dealer....I confirmed that fact !
Started and let it run till warm ! Oil is draining as I'm typing this, will be changing the filter( last one I got) It's now lunch time and I will be heading out for a couple more oil filters since I am following "Randakk" procedure but, I'm a little wery about not having changed the timing belts , they have not arrived yet....so I'm not going to go any further than filling with 50/50
30 weight and ATF , I'll do the 20 minute run after I change them belts !!
I do have a big grin on my face....lol

Thanks again for the welcoming replies ! I'll post pics later!

Frank.
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: Reviving 76 LTD

Post by pidjones »

It's a great sound, that first start. Now, change the belts. Really. Change them! Oh, and check the tire age. Don't ride on tires old enough to vote!
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

having had a tire that had a crack all the way around, they do not have to be voting age! And, did we mention CHANGE THE BELTS.... you do not want to do an engine rebuild
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

:popcornx2
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
leonardhcross
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by leonardhcross »

Hi Frank. I'm just beginning a restore on a neglected 75. I am posting in the "Restorations" forum. It would be nice to watch your progress as I work on this.
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein »

Yes, that first start is a great sound, isn't it...nice pic, btw... :lol:
Francis
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Francis »

Well, finally had time for a little more work on the wing. Timing belts !! Man oh man....I've never seen so much rust ...when I removed the covers. Shyte anyways..lol. The pulley tensioning springs are a solid piece of rust , broke one when I tried to remove it( after I sprayed them both with Wurth rost off plus) Mind you I need to spray everything and brush off the rust.

Now where would I find a couple of new springs?? It's getting cold over here..lol. Kinda white all over.
No heat in the super shed, it's not insulated anyways. I should take some pics but , my fingers were frozen and numb.

Gotta find some springs, supposed to be 37F this Saturday, that would be a good time for more work :)
Francis
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Francis »

Dr. Frankenstein wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:30 pm Yes, that first start is a great sound, isn't it...nice pic, btw... :lol:
It is a nice pic :lol: so is the sound!
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Francis wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:40 am Well, finally had time for a little more work on the wing. Timing belts !! Man oh man....I've never seen so much rust ...when I removed the covers. Shyte anyways..lol. The pulley tensioning springs are a solid piece of rust , broke one when I tried to remove it( after I sprayed them both with Wurth rost off plus) Mind you I need to spray everything and brush off the rust.

Now where would I find a couple of new springs?? It's getting cold over here..lol. Kinda white all over.
No heat in the super shed, it's not insulated anyways. I should take some pics but , my fingers were frozen and numb.

Gotta find some springs, supposed to be 37F this Saturday, that would be a good time for more work :)
Here's a link to an OEM parts breakdown. Yes, those timing belt tensioner springs are still available. :-D
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... iming-belt
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
Francis
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Francis »

leonardhcross wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:24 pm Hi Frank. I'm just beginning a restore on a neglected 75. I am posting in the "Restorations" forum. It would be nice to watch your progress as I work on this.
You bet, winter is not my friend tho, cold in that no heat shed ...lol
Francis
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Francis »

Thanks Cliff, just ordered 2 :)
Francis
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Francis »

Here some pics when I picked it up and the first wrenches on it
the beginning.jpg
the beginning.jpg (122.03 KiB) Viewed 382 times
old oil.jpg
old oil.jpg (101.92 KiB) Viewed 382 times
charge batt and check electrical.jpg
charge batt and check electrical.jpg (130.94 KiB) Viewed 382 times
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

tumb2 Nice and Clean, Francis !

odometer reading ?
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
Francis
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Francis »

gltriker wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:58 pm tumb2 Nice and Clean, Francis !

odometer reading ?
thanks, yes it was cared for when it was being ridden and the whole time it sat, 22k and a little bit.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

mine was fairly low mileage as well, and right after I got it I had the u-joint go out. Honda beefed up the u-joint on the later wings, but the early ones had a lot of failures
-Rodger-