Earthwing's 1976 GL1000

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Earthwing
Brass Member
Brass Member

Re: Earthwing's 1976 GL1000

Post by Earthwing »

Lucien Harpress wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:07 am
Honestly? Purist though I am, I say do the minimum to get it road worthy (belts, fluids, etc.), then just fire the sucker up. It may run better than you'd expect.
Thank you, I feel that makes the most sense as well. Hoping to be to that stage in about 2 weeks!

Super excited!
NotSoLilCrippseys
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by NotSoLilCrippseys »

You're cooking with gas on your Goldilocks project. Nice.

Rear cover has been off for some reason. OK. She's been around a few blocks. Heads may have been replaced (or one may have?). It's been 50 years, after all. Someone liked GL1100 carbs - or had a rack available when the original one got finicky. They'll do for now - or perhaps forever. Maybe the radiator just needs a good cleaning.

I'm all for fixing what needs fixing, making her safe and roadworthy (tires, brakes, lights, etc.), and riding her. Or go for the concours restoration and get ready to hunt down some near-unobtanium.

I don't want to add stress to what right now may be an ever-growing list of known unknowns that seem to be outstripping your ability to turn them into known knowns.

To follow up on the concerns raised about that red rtv-type sealant, one option might be to pull the oil screen to see what's been caught in it over the years (right side of motor, very bottom, hiding behind the lower frame member, 2 screws).

It'll be tricky to get the screen cover off with the engine in the frame, especially with 50 year old JIS screws holding it in, and the right header needs to come off at a minimum. Consider it if you really want that peace of mind by (hopefully) confirming that no red RTV bits have been roaming around in the motor. Definitely have a look if you end up having to pull the motor for some other reason.

At the rate you're going, that bike will undoubtedly roll down the road under its own power before you know it!
Avatar is a summer '21 photo of the Blue Phoenix, our 1983 GL1100I rescue gone naked.

In the Stable and Ridable
1992 ST1100 - my longer haul tourer
1992 XJ600S - son's streetfighter
1987 VFR700 - son's latest, in blue/silver
1983 - GL1100I - naked Blue Phoenix (son's, really)
1982 GL1100I - naked bagger Cabernet
1979 GL1000 - Ginger Lynn, but not that Ginger Lynn (Wing and a Prayer)
1978 CB550K - son's cafe (carb issues still vex)

Active Project(s)
1979 GL1000 - Confirmed one owner, with original paperwork. Vetter fairing and bags, off the road in dry, heated storage for 35 years.

Sold
Not lookin' back to avoid regrets
Earthwing
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Earthwing »

NotSoLilCrippseys wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:18 pm You're cooking with gas on your Goldilocks project. Nice.

Rear cover has been off for some reason. OK. She's been around a few blocks. Heads may have been replaced (or one may have?). It's been 50 years, after all. Someone liked GL1100 carbs - or had a rack available when the original one got finicky. They'll do for now - or perhaps forever. Maybe the radiator just needs a good cleaning.

I'm all for fixing what needs fixing, making her safe and roadworthy (tires, brakes, lights, etc.), and riding her. Or go for the concours restoration and get ready to hunt down some near-unobtanium.

I don't want to add stress to what right now may be an ever-growing list of known unknowns that seem to be outstripping your ability to turn them into known knowns.

To follow up on the concerns raised about that red rtv-type sealant, one option might be to pull the oil screen to see what's been caught in it over the years (right side of motor, very bottom, hiding behind the lower frame member, 2 screws).

It'll be tricky to get the screen cover off with the engine in the frame, especially with 50 year old JIS screws holding it in, and the right header needs to come off at a minimum. Consider it if you really want that peace of mind by (hopefully) confirming that no red RTV bits have been roaming around in the motor. Definitely have a look if you end up having to pull the motor for some other reason.

At the rate you're going, that bike will undoubtedly roll down the road under its own power before you know it!
Thanks, I am really enjoying the process! I haven't taken on a rebuild since I was in my 20's when I rebuilt an old Yamaha Seca 400 that had been wrecked by a friend.

Thanks for the tip about the oil screen, I will keep it in mind when I am stripping the bike down further this winter. For now I'd just like to ride it ;)
low-side
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by low-side »

FWIW - the oil screen seems like a real pain, but it took me about an hour from start to finish. Drop the right header, loosen the motor mount (I might have loosened the two closest mounts as well) and use a wedge to pull the frame out 3/8" or so (frame is flexible, you won't hurt anything), and remove the 4 screws with an impact driver. Using hex head bolts to reinstall makes the job easier in the future.
Earthwing
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Earthwing »

low-side wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:37 am FWIW - the oil screen seems like a real pain, but it took me about an hour from start to finish. Drop the right header, loosen the motor mount (I might have loosened the two closest mounts as well) and use a wedge to pull the frame out 3/8" or so (frame is flexible, you won't hurt anything), and remove the 4 screws with an impact driver. Using hex head bolts to reinstall makes the job easier in the future.
Thanks for sharing that, I might just do it then, I'll be back on the project next weekend :-D
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

For a wedge, I used a plastic wedge used for keeping your chain saw from getting stuck. Fairly non-maring.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
Earthwing
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Earthwing »

Finally found the time to get to posting an update on my progress.

Long story short the bike still doesn’t run.

I cleaned the carbs as best I could an reassembled everything. Upon trying to fire it up a significant leak developed from the fuel tube between carbs 3 & 4.

So now it seems I am in to tearing down the carbs even further than I had already done and I’m just too busy right now to get to it.

I’m feeling like if I need to tear them down to that degree I should just get the rebuild kit from Randakk’s.

So seems my hopes of riding the bike this season are withering away since I just don’t have the time to get to it right now.

I guess we’ll see!!
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

Yes, you should.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Lucien Harpress »

To me, if the carbs are coming off again, it's worth making sure they're cleaned and rebuilt correctly before going back on. A bike done right and ridden eventually is better than one rushed into and ridden poorly right now.

Not to mention that while there is a lot to these bikes, it definitely becomes less intimidating the more you dig into them.

Best of luck!
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein »

Nice find, I've always wanted a yellow one. And no big deal, but are those '78 pipes on it?
And a brown seat! action1 I thought I was the only one who had a brown seat! My '75 has a brown Saddleman (or whatever it's called-it came to me that way), but I rather like the bench-style. But still...! "Go, Brown!" :lol:
ImageDSCN1885 by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr