1985 GL1200 A no name yet.

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

SCRAGNOTH
Lead Member
Lead Member

1985 GL1200 A no name yet.

Post by SCRAGNOTH »

So I was gifted a 1985 1200 Aspencade and an engine and rear end from a 1100 gl. Currently in the teardown process for a full rebuild.

This is my first goldwing, and I'm being cautious and going slow. On top of that I've taken full advantage of the search function. Did a search for 1985 and I've been bookmarking every thread with relevant information. There are 73 pages of results and I'm at 43! Read all the threads I've tagged so far. I'm insanely impressed with the builds and knowledge the members here have shared!

That said, any links to info, parts or other threads with info will always be appreciated and probably requested. :lol: I'm looking at anything related to the engine driveshaft (that's what broke I was told) and parts replacement/upgrades. Also any info about rewiring from scratch and the vac system. While I plan to replace the front forks eventually, I hear that it's possible to switch them to springs instead of air.

I haven't ridden since I was 13 and had a hand me down susuki cruiser. I'm not a chafer, but I did ride my bycicle 11 miles each way to and from work for 3 years. (I was poor)
A few things I wanted to ask you folk with much more experience in the saddle as regards to comfort. I know when I rode a pedal bike that anything that had me leaning back or with my elbows bent close to a 90 put my back out. The best fit was a Walmart bike with mountain bike handle bars and an extended neck. I also know that the experience is not the same, but I don't have much to go on personally and the standard fit of the gl I know will not work. I've also taken a Ninja for a spin and my family jewels were sore for a week. Any recommendation for a seat/style of handle bars would be appreciated.

And now on to the pictures.
Attachments
Took off the radiator. Wtf
Took off the radiator. Wtf
20220416_233853.jpg (207.52 KiB) Viewed 347 times
I'm worried.
I'm worried.
20220416_233906.jpg (164.85 KiB) Viewed 347 times
How she started
How she started
20220410_164553.jpg (177.86 KiB) Viewed 347 times
Where I'm at
Where I'm at
received_376020547584339.jpeg (150.95 KiB) Viewed 347 times
Project bike, 1985 gl1200 Aspencade.
MikeNTexas
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: 1985 GL1200 A no name yet.

Post by MikeNTexas »

I am fairly new to the Goldwings myself. I acquired my first wing in December of 2000. It was a good running 1975 model. Since then I have taken it and 3 more down to the bare frame, painted, polished, rebuilt carbs, brakes, replaced water pumps, timing belts, tires, etc.

Along with the '75 were two '76's and one built from '83 and '80 parts bikes. All were built naked.

None of the four had to have any internal engine work done. Hopefully you will have the same experience.

At 70 years old and being a Harley rider up until age 65 I never thought I'd get hooked like I did.

If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't have had the success and enjoyment that I have had. Great bunch of guys here and a wealth of shared knowledge.

Good luck on your first built. Enjoy the process. Hopefully there will be more to come. anim-cheers1
1975 GL1000 Restored (sold)
1983 GL1100 Custom (sold)
1976 GL1000 Project (finished and sold)
Another1976 GL1000 Project (finished and sold)
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Looks like you've got yourself a project, lol!
From the pics of the milkshake colored coolant, I'd say the engine needs some love. Head gasket(s) and /or water pump failure are the most likely culprits.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

Welcome! What type of build are you thinking of doing? Used parts are certainly around for the 1200…
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
NotSoLilCrippseys
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by NotSoLilCrippseys »

Track T is right. You want to see recognizable coolant color coming out of the radiator, not brownish stuff. With luck, it's a water pump, which isn't that tough to do. Head gaskets could be the issue. No need to pull the motor for either, and the head gaskets aren't rocket science. Get on Shop Talk and DL a manual.

Check out Randakk's "long layup" restart procedure. It'll help.

Being cheap myself, I'd start with a finger in the hole at the bottom where the rad hose hooks up. Feel the water pump impeller and see if it's got wiggle/play (engine off, no cranking or you'll lose a finger tip!) It'll be pretty obvious. You'll need a new one of those if there's play. I'd start there. Maybe that fixes your chocolate milk coolant issue.

I don't have heaps of experience, but what the PO told you was wrong with the bike should probably be taken with a grain of salt. I'm into my third GL in about 18 months. None have been what the seller represented; each was so certain what the bike needed, why it wasn't running, and when it was last on the road. (And yet they didn't "fix" the thing the bike needed. Hmm.)

On riding position, it's personal. I have two GL1100s with different bars/seat set ups. The ride feel is very different, even though the bikes are nearly identical in other ways. I suggest getting the bike running, riding, and stopping before you start throwing $ at bars, saddles, etc.

Spend the money to get her working - and stopping safely. (That alone will be some real change.) Then put 1000 miles or so in the saddle on the stock set up, maybe adjust the bars fore/aft and the seat a bit for comfort. Adjust the shift lever and brake pedal a bit if it's not quite there for you. THEN decide what's not comfortable - or doesn't look cool enough. And you can supplement that seat-of-the-pants feel with hours of browsing online for the ways folks have customized their 1200s.

Parts for the 1200 are right there on eBay. If you get a chance to nab a really inexpensive donor/parts bike, don't think twice. Get one. You could easily nickel-and-dime yourself to $300+ in little bits that you could just pick off a donor bike when you need them.

My .02. Take it for what it's worth. (Given inflation, what's currently worth .02 used to buy a $1 worth of suggestions, which helps explain the length of my post.)
Avatar is a summer '21 photo of the Blue Phoenix, our 1983 GL1100I rescue gone naked.

In the Stable and Ridable
1992 ST1100 - my longer haul tourer
1992 XJ600S - son's streetfighter
1987 VFR700 - son's latest, in blue/silver
1983 - GL1100I - naked Blue Phoenix (son's, really)
1982 GL1100I - naked bagger Cabernet
1979 GL1000 - Ginger Lynn, but not that Ginger Lynn (Wing and a Prayer)
1978 CB550K - son's cafe (carb issues still vex)

Active Project(s)
1979 GL1000 - Confirmed one owner, with original paperwork. Vetter fairing and bags, off the road in dry, heated storage for 35 years.

Sold
Not lookin' back to avoid regrets