ALMOST THERE 76 LTD

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Re: back to work on the 76 ltd

Post by rcmatt007 »

In retrospect here is what I think happened to the transmission. Back about 2015? It was obvious it was flooding, so I decided to do a carb rebuild, take out the engine and paint it, and make repairs to and then paint the frame.

What probably happened was it was in third gear when I dropped the engine. I put in a new neutral switch and that must have jammed the shifting mechanism.

when I put it together I could not get it to shift at all. Impatiently (after all, accessing a neutral switch is a PITA) I decided to start it hoping I could get it to shift once running. That did not work, but in the meantime I probably broke the teeth in third gear.

After getting it back here, I loosened the neutral switch and was able to shift. But when I ran it, it kept popping out of gear.
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Post by Fred Camper »

Looking good in the sunlight. Nice.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

new fan switch arrived this afternoon as well as the winker (not wanker) relay.... but it is raining and 33 degrees... I am not out in the garage

however, before the weather got nasty I started sorting the parts to put back together my 78 and from the "pile o'parts" thinking of a VERY RARE 77 yellow wing....
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

put in the new fan switch and it still does not turn on. Will run if I jump the wires. I think the thermostat is the issue, so I will replace that next
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

well this is embarrassing.... I removed the thermostat cover and there is no thermostat
-Rodger-
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

sounds like a previous owner trick :lol: :lol: :lol:
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

I could have swore I put it in.... and it is not in the pile of left over nuts and bolts from when I had the case apart
-Rodger-
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President

Post by Fred Camper »

They can be slow to warm up without a stat, just sayin. Oh yes, and the inlet to the pump may cavitate due to the high flow.

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

it was more that there was poor circulation. would get really hot, but not turn the fan on.... Have one on order
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

new thermostat is back in. Honda no longer puts a little hole in the top so I added that. Too darn cool and windy late yesterday afternoon to open the garage door to start it up.
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

put the thermostat in and finally poured in the coolant and sure enough leaking at the thermostat housing.... pulled the radiator out enough, I think the thermostat was just enough off to prevent a seal. NOT leaking now. Too darn cold to take it outside and start it up. I still need to change the nearly new 10 year old tires.
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

went to lowes, then HD, and then a second lowes to finally find 8mm stainless nuts for the bottoms of the forks. Two tires changed and it only took three tubes to do. Such a shame to now toss two tires with lots of tread, but they are 12 years old.
Just need to get the small sporty fairing windshield on and it is ready to
-Rodger-
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President

Post by Fred Camper »

Chip, Chip, Chip is all it takes to get her done. Getting closer.

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

Of course, right now it is on the center stand in the shop/garage.... I expoxyed the floor.... if I try to hump it off the center stand, the center stand just slides on the epoxy finish. :evil:

tomorrow.... final pic! (if the weather doesn't go south)
-Rodger-
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

rcmatt007 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:37 pm Of course, right now it is on the center stand in the shop/garage.... I expoxyed the floor.... if I try to hump it off the center stand, the center stand just slides on the epoxy finish. :evil:

tomorrow.... final pic! (if the weather doesn't go south)
I put one foot in front of the stand lever when that happens. Not helpful if you have short legs, though.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped

Return to “Members Restorations and Projects”