Mr.H: How a motorcycle evolves over time

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Re: Mr.H: How a motorcycle evolves over time

Post by Fred Camper »

Enjoyed reading all the updates. Nice documentation for sure. For me, an electric fuel pump seems like less failure modes than your valve but your actual milage may vary.
Last edited by Fred Camper on Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

“ (who knew that low B12 levels had similar symptoms to chronic fatigue?)”

Been there, done that. I can now tell when I’m getting low by sensations of bugs biting me, sometimes like a bee sting. I had a time a couple years ago I was convinced I was being stung on my thigh by a bee who must have flown up my pant leg. I was in a little shed at the time and dropped my trousers as fast as could convinces that it was a bee——- in April. No bees in April here. Most of the time it’s more like a mosquito bite.

Hope you’re able to take care of it with pills.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I don't have that but if I go too long without my shot I start to feel like my batteries are running down.
They had me making an appointment at the medical centre every month for the shot but after a few months I asked if my wife could give me the shots at home since she's a nurse and the doc agreed that would make sense.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Great article.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I forgot to mention that since I couldn't make the rectangular LED lit reflectors on the sides of the outfit flash with the new turn signals I replaced them with plain reflectors, going back to the original type on the left saddlebag (none on the right bag because you wouldn't see it anyway) and nice 50mm round amber ones on the front, using the same hole in the sidecar body and a tidier bracket on the bike side.

By this time Mr.H. had been sitting for about 5 weeks since I drove it into the garage (lots of time for the carbs to dry out) so I got to try the new pre-filling setup: Squeeze the clamp, pull the plug out, pop a funnel in, pour 180cc of gas into the funnel with a measuring cup, put the plug back and it started like it had been run the day before :8)

The only other change for 2021 was the camera mount

Details here (including link to test video): https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8&p=801007

And of course that meant taking some videos

On Nov.7th 2021 I drove Mr.H into the shed for storage under its own power

And that brings us up to date. I haven't planned any changes for 2022 but I'll update this with any future news about Mr.H as it happens.

Those who like this sort of thing might also enjoy my Never Ending Build thread on CX500forum about how Eccles has evolved over the years
https://www.cx500forum.com/threads/eccl ... 006.27923/
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

When I was removing the flasher I took the opportunity to take this pic of what it looks like under the shelter where the electrical parts are mounted after all the changes I've made over the years. I wish I had taken a pic for reference before I started changing things and if anyone has a good, clear pic of this area on a GL1100 with stock or close to stock electrics I would appreciate if they would post it here
11 - Inside the shelter.jpg
11 - Inside the shelter.jpg (176.53 KiB) Viewed 1009 times
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President

Post by Fred Camper »

Sometimes being inside looking at a picture is warmer than standing outside looking at the shelter. Nice to have documents for sure.

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Fred Camper wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:14 pm Enjoyed reading all the updates. Nice documentation for sure. For me, an electric fuel pump seems like less failure modes than your valve but your actual milage may vary.
I just noticed this.
Whether I have the mechanical pump or an electric one I would still need to be able to select which tank I draw fuel from so either I would still need the valve or I would need 2 electric pumps and a switch to select which one is turned on.
Since there is nothing wrong with the fuel pump I rebuilt in 2010 I see no reason to add the complication of mounting and wiring two electric ones.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I wasn't going to post this yet but since I'm here....

Mr.H moved from the shed to the garage under its own power on Monday Apr.4th. After transferring the battery from Eccles I used the setup I added last year for pre-filling the carbs; It didn't start as easily as I'd have liked so I went back to the garage for the Quick Start, sprayed a bit into the airbox and it fired right away. I'm not sure whether the ether was needed or just sitting for a couple of minutes would have been enough but I didn't run the battery down and have to charge it this year so I'm happy :orange
The hardest part was getting it out of the shed far enough to turn enough to drive past the shed. The ground in front of the shed felt firm enough to walk on but I put down the boards I've been using to keep the wheels from sinking in when I roll it out anyway and I'm glad I did because as soon as the back wheel rolled off of the board it sunk enough that I couldn't push it out of the hole. The board (particleboard) under the bike had broken in half lengthwise so I drove it back into the shed and repositioned the halves so I could roll it farther before it sank in and barely got it far enough (the board was in small pieces by then).
I've been talking about laying a few rows of patio stones in front of the shed for years; I'll turn 69 this summer and I don't want to be trying to push a 600 + Lb bike with a 200+ Lb sidecar over soft ground when I'm 70 so I think that will need to be on this year's job list.

Tuesday I drove it a couple of Km to get it warmed up, drained the oil and put the battery back into Eccles so I could drive it to do some shopping on Wednesday, including getting to oil for Mr.H.

A couple of years ago I noticed that the sight glass that came in the China/eBay master cylinder on Eccles was starting to soften. They are inexpensive on eBay so I ordered some so replacing the sight glass could become a routine part of changing the brake fluid on both bikes (Mr.H has a similar master cylinder). Mr.H's front brake fluid was overdue for replacement so it now has fresh fluid and a shiny new sight glass.

Just before I put Mr.H into storage for the winter I read where Mike Nixon mentioned increasing the spark plug gap on most old Hondas so I asked for his recommendation for my particular case and he suggested increasing the gap to 1.0mm. Since I had to drill out a broken spark plug a few years ago I've made removing them to inspect for any signs of rust and putting them back with fresh anti seize part of the pre-season inspection so I adjusted the gaps while they were out.

I also washed & oiled the Uni air filter and removed the license plate sticker.
That's right, I removed the sticker that indicates that the registration has been renewed. Ontario has made renewing registrations for passenger vehicles, light trucks, motorcycles & mopeds free and stopped issuing new stickers so the old sticker is no longer required and the upper right corners of Ontario plates can now be clean & empty thup thup

So with all of that done, why haven't I started using Mr.H? Because the forecast says the temperature is going to drop below freezing overnight and it will probably snow tomorrow :( :IDTS: :cry:
Paola Zago
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Paola Zago »

hi Sidecar Bob, always very interesting and fun to read what you write.
I didn't understand what that black bar is under the 1100 engine .....
Paola (Italy)
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

It is part of the sidecar subframe. I briefly discussed attaching the sidecar in post #10 of this thread and included this link to the thread that has more details https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=65631
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

They finally stopped forecasting snow last week but I waited a few more days until the rain stopped. I finally got a chance to wash most of the dirt off of Eccles & go for a ride to dry it off on Wednesday and yesterday afternoon I rolled both of them outside, drove Eccles down the driveway to turn around and back up into the big space, then moved the battery to Mr.H and drove it down the driveway to turn around and back up into my parking space.

While they were both outside and relatively clean I took a couple of pics
2 outfits May 2022 1.jpg
2 outfits May 2022 1.jpg (191.83 KiB) Viewed 847 times
2 outfits May 2022 2.jpg
2 outfits May 2022 2.jpg (192.96 KiB) Viewed 847 times
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Nice looking pair!!
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President

Post by Fred Camper »

Wow, they do look nice in the sun.

Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Gowing »

Thanks Bob for your thread. Tons of good info. You are a true motorcycle enthusiast. Sorry about Matt and your best friend.
Dave

1975 GL 1000
1980 XS650
1981 ct110
1972 F7 KAW 175
2000 moby blaze 40cc
Chihuahua (Ellie)
Chihuahua #2(Blaze)