Restart 77 GL1000 project

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

dna1943
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Restart 77 GL1000 project

Post by dna1943 »

It’s been awhile since I’ve been on this forum so as Del Shannon once said:
“Here's my story, it's sad but true“.
Back in 2007 I sold my 1988 BMW 7-series standard shift sedan that I had rebuilt and was tired of rolling around on the cold garage floor. I was looking for a project that was a little easier on these old bones.

My sister’s husband who lives in West Virginia and is a gear head like me suggested I get a motorcycle to work on. He had just the project for me; a 1977 Honda GL1000. This bike had been used in a robbery and was dropped in a ditch after a police chase. The owner was sent to prison and the bike was move to the back corner of a shop where it sat for at least 5 years. Paul rescued it and started a teardown. It had a Windjammer fairing, extra gauges, and a huge trunk that carried an auto battery for electric power. Most of this was placed in a dumpster and I was offered the remaining pieces.

I joined this forum late in 2014. I got lots of advice and started buying parts. I built a work table for the bike and a smaller table for the engine so I could roll it around. I could now work sitting on a stool on wheels! I striped the bike down replacing the belts and making a complete wiring loom out of three. I bought Randakk’s carb rebuild kit and DVD when Mother Nature said “You should take a break”.

I was having back problems and was walking stooped over. My doctor said I was having what he called “Kroger cart syndrome” walking like I was pushing a grocery cart. So I ended up having major back surgery, then physical therapy. Next I had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists and more physical therapy because I could hardly hold a wrench or tool. Then I had my knee operated on and more physical therapy. Then another back operation and you guessed it, more physical therapy.
Next was 2020 and the pandemic (I didn’t get it but my wife did). Not bad but we stayed in and only went to grocery store, doctors and drug store.

Now I’m ready (older but ready) to start again. I have had both my Covid19 shots and well, you can guess my problem. I have a large pile of parts (mostly tagged and bagged) and lots of pictures and some doubts about it all going back together correctly. What I am looking for is someone in the Cincinnati – Dayton area with a ’77 GL1000 that is mostly stock that I can look at once and a while to see exactly how things are supposed to look when together. I really don’t need any physical help as I like to work at my own pace and sometimes I have to keep repeating “This is a hobby and I’m having fun”. I know this is asking a lot but I know this is a great forum.

Anybody out there willing to let me have a hint of what it will eventually look like?

Thanks,
Dave Anderson
77 Goldwing GL13003041
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Re: Restart 77 GL1000 project

Post by 77Gowing »

Having started, not with a complete bike but a bunch of parts in baskets and bins, I say you can handle it. This was my first bike...EVER.
Since you already have skill with wrenches, I bet you will do fine without having a model to look at. I did fine and Im all thumbs. Yes I goofed a couple times, (let me tell how to easily screw up a new clutch...lol, but I learned). I have every confidence you too will figure out what you already know. 1. A square peg fits in a square hole, 2. And a round peg.....and so on.
Have faith in yourself and look at pictures like the parts microphice.

Best of luck Mr. Anderson, enjoy the journey.
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

1977 GL1000 from parts
1977 GL1000 from parts
20210329_082444.jpg (234.79 KiB) Viewed 317 times
Dave, this is the bike as a total newbie I put together from bins, baskets and boxes with engine out of frame.
If I can do it you can too. I consulted with shop talk a lot as I put this baby together.
It did not make BOTM, but in my book and heart it is BOTM for Me.

Go for it, if you get stuck thats what the forum here is for.

Go for it Dave! action1 action1 action1 :crosso
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Gowing »

77Gowing wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:31 pm 20210329_082444.jpg
Dave, this is the bike as a total newbie I put together from bins, baskets and boxes with engine out of frame.
If I can do it you can too. I consulted with shop talk a lot as I put this baby together.
It did not make BOTM, but in my book and heart it is BOTM for Me.

Go for it, if you get stuck thats what the forum here is for.

Go for it Dave! action1 action1 action1 :crosso
She’s a beauty!
Dave

1975 GL 1000
1980 XS650
1981 ct110
1972 F7 KAW 175
2000 moby blaze 40cc
Chihuahua (Ellie)
Chihuahua #2(Blaze)
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

By now I have lost count of my early GL projects but my first one is sitting in the carport, but like Gowing's it came to me in boxes and bins. My trailer looked like I was hauling trash to the dump. The only parts I could recognize for sure were the engine, frame and wheels (of which only the engine ended up in the completed bike). Just think of it as a picture puzzle, start with those corner pieces. If you can't identify something, post it on here and someone will help. Go for it.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
dna1943
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by dna1943 »

Thanks
I know what most parts are but not sure about where it goes or what sequence.
Like a puzzle from the outside corner
Dave Anderson
77 Goldwing GL13003041
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Paint the frame, paint the engine (check the clutch and water pump), stuff the frame over the engine, clean the tank and paint, now is a good time to install the carbs and their cables, install the tank, attach the swing arm and drive shaft. From here on out the order doesn't make much difference, just work on whatever component you have all the parts for and before you know it you will have a bike.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
dna1943
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by dna1943 »

That is the kind of start suggestions I was looking for .
Now to find someone close that I might need to double check on placement.
You guys are great.
Dave Anderson
77 Goldwing GL13003041