Yellow '76: Getting Some Sun

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Yellow '76 Winter Freshen-Up

Post by Lucien Harpress »

Just for fun, here's a picture of the headers.

I actually dropped them back off at the coater's today, because even though he used the same material, he ran them in different batches, so the sheen between the two is different. It may just be an artifact of the process, and if it does it again I'm just going to live with it, but I figure at least one more try is worth doing.
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I always thought those things would be far better served by ceramic coating them than painting them. If by 78 had black pipes, I would have ceramic coated them.

Those will be nice.

Get 'em on there!
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Senior
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Senior »

Lucien Harpress wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:56 pm So, I teased a decently-big-deal a little bit ago. Well, here it is in full.

Real talk for a second- I don't mind the painted exhaust on the early 1000s. In fact, I think it's kinda cool. At the very least it's something different from the acres of chrome that nearly every other bike sports. However, I will admit that it doesn't really hold up that well for long periods of time. And while a yearly paint touchup is a possibility, I also happen to be somewhat lazy. So, when I was able to get a stock muffler in quite good shape, I decided to go whole hog and get it ceramic coated.

The final result is a thing of beauty.

The center stand rubber is new, and while the slip-in baffles are aftermarket, I managed to find a set that are visually indistinguishable from stock (yes, the stock horse collar had baffles). Also, rest assured I had the headers coated as well, but those are a bit less visually interesting, so you'll see those later. I still need to paint and attach the muffler mounts, but almost all of this will have to go on last, so I'm in no rush.
Guess this is my first post here (discounting my new member post). Restoring a1976 GL1000. Have not posted the process but have pictures of the tear down and restoration. The horseshoe muffler on the bike when I bought it was very bad and the PO or an earlier PO botched together fixes. Could not use it. It did have baffles in it. After checking Ebay I got a very useable muffler with good tips. The baffles were not in the tips. Could you please let me know what you used (manufacture an where you got them). They look very nice. Thank you so much.

Senior
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

https://4into1.com/drag-specialties-ste ... h-packing/

Here's the ones I went with. You'll need to confirm the correct diameter (1.75", I think?), and I needed to cut off the larger bit on the front end to get them to fit, but they seem like they'll work. The packing is still held in place because the horseshoe itself necks down in a way that keeps it captured, but I guess I won't know for sure until I run it for a bit.

Senior
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Senior »

Lucien Harpress wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:25 pm https://4into1.com/drag-specialties-ste ... h-packing/

Here's the ones I went with. You'll need to confirm the correct diameter (1.75", I think?), and I needed to cut off the larger bit on the front end to get them to fit, but they seem like they'll work. The packing is still held in place because the horseshoe itself necks down in a way that keeps it captured, but I guess I won't know for sure until I run it for a bit.
Great! Yup 1.75" is correct. Thanks for the tip. Might secure the end with a thin strip or muffler tape when I do it, but will see.

Picture is what was on the bike when I bought it. Lots of High Temp silicone. Still wonder how it worked. The bike was running when I. bought it and ignorant about GL1000's. Can say I did not see any exhaust leaks, but...didn't look under the bike. Sorry for it showing up 3 times.... :roll: I have a much better one (bought another to replace this one and refused it (that is the one with the stock tips and baffles in it), but now have a really complete one with really good tips (chrome). Refurbishing that one now.

I guess I should take the time and start posting my restoration. My goal is to make it as stock, original as possible. I have spent 100's on NOS parts and Unobtaium parts that occasionally I found.

Sorry for the long email..

Best Regards,
Senior
Attachments
IMG_1676.JPG
IMG_1676.JPG (468.99 KiB) Viewed 443 times
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Ooo, yeah. That's rough.

In other news, it finally got warm enough to spray some black onto the gas tank, and because this tank is cursed, sure enough something went... well, not "wrong", but.... whatever massive orange peel is.

All things considered- it could be worse. I'll see how well the paint stuck once it dries (because I do expect to sand out at least the parts where it's most visible), but I'm not stripping the whole tank. Not again. I got some settings to play with, not to mention the entire other side of the tank to still do, so I'm hoping I get it dialed in. At least enough for a Goldwing gas tank.

Senior
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Senior »

That sucks! I still have to do my tank (sitting right now filled up with Evapo Rust). Thinking a high gloss black spray can engine paint since it is good with gas getting on it. Take my heat gun and go over the tank to "set" the paint. Then spray can a clear engine paint over that and heat gun it. I have done this in the past with other gas tanks and seems to work...but, have had to redo some tanks as did not like how it went on can covered. I have enjoyed following your thread here!
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Temperature managed to get warm enough to attempt some more tank painting, and while results were better than last time, I've learned two valuable things:

-POR-15 Urethane Topcoat is absolute garbage, and
-I'm tired of trying to fight it to get it to lay down properly.

Now admittedly, I'm completely self-taught, using a cheapo Harbor Freight throw-away gun, doing my best with product probably not exactly meant to be sprayed. But the more I looked at it, it almost looks like it's reacting with ITSELF, pulling away and creating bubbles out of nothing. I've sprayed good paint (when I re-did the yellow on my radiator fins)- this is NOT that.

Luckily, I'm not stripping the tank again. I am however going to do what I probably should've in the first place, and get some real advice from the local paint supply shop.

(I never said I was smart. :lol: )

Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

What was your primer? Might be a reaction between the two?
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Two part epoxy. Far as I could figure once set epoxy was pretty inert. It was definitely worse in the places I laid the paint down a bit thicker. And it even started doing on my test piece (which was a bare stainless muffler tip).

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Sorry to see continued trouble with your tank paint, but strangely gratified to see I'm not the only one who struggles with it!

The only, and I mean ONLY, time my finishes are perfect is on some obscure part that hides behind other stuff, it seems. The more prominent the part, the worse the paint turns out!
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Attempt number 2 (ish)- Not perfect, but in the right direction.

The little speckly garbage was still there, but it got better as I went along, so I wonder if it's some kind of cross-contamination. I'm set to grab a fresh gun, because at 14 bucks I'm not out much. I'm still having issues with getting the paint to lay down properly, but it's definitely better than the last round. I've definitely got to play with things a bit more, but at least we're getting some actual progress.

...have I ever mentioned how much I hate painting? :lol:

Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

The weather cooperated long enough for me to try getting a bit more paint laid down with a new ($14 throw-away) gun and, if I'm honest? I don't think I'm going to be getting any closer to a showroom quality finish without hand buffing it.

Absolute crap photo, I know, and I only did the outside edges, but I think I know where my "good enough" is going to stand. There's still a bit of wave to the finish, but it's miles better than previous attempts, and the paint isn't close to dry yet- I had to run it inside before various leaves and grass bits embedded themselves in the finish. It may still even out as it cures- who knows.

I've still got to do the sides, but I'm allowing myself to get excited about getting it back in the frame. Finally. Again.

Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

I had a gas tank that gave me fits years ago. I am not a painter but I can rattle can with the best of them. Thing alligatored all over. After 3 or 4 tries I concentrated on just the petcock area. That came out decent and as that is the only part visible when installed I called it good! Oh and I also scratched the crap out of it on reinstall! Good luck!
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Whiskerfish wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:59 pm After 3 or 4 tries I concentrated on just the petcock area. That came out decent and as that is the only part visible when installed I called it good!
I'm definitely starting to lean that direction. The process gradually changed from "I want this whole tank to look nice" to "Let's get this bottom corner nice, and the rest I'll use for practice for when I paint my Dream". That said, I did a double-check, and the paint DOES seem to be evening out as it dries, so I am currently a pretty happy camper.