'77 Wing "Forever Bike"

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: '77 Wing "Forever Bike"

Post by wannabridin »

Well, bleeding didn't quite go according to plan. My hand vac decided to only work about 30% effective, so that made all the work 2-3x as hard...

Got the frame piece painted, but lots of runs from hitting the open gaps up close to try and flow some paint into them to help with future rust. Once that hits the 48 hour cure time, I'll sand it down some and then hit it with some final coats to look nice and re-install.

I got the clutch done with little effort. Hand vac got it started and then old fashioned did the rest. Front brakes had speed bleeders on them, but I'm almost certain they're shot. Sealant is all powdered and the refuse to work (maybe it's the sealant causing them to fail...). Ill swing by the auto parts store and get some dormans in the meantime to make sure I can get these bled. Likely will have to get another hand vac.

Put ~ 3L of oil in. Need to get some distilled water to do the initial fire, then I'll do the coolant flush.

Need to get some rear MC reservoir line as well as all the overflow lines (will stop by Ace hardware for all those, I think that Vinyl will work for most of those).

Still need to finish wiring up the rear lights. Then I ended to go thru and check torque on everything. Probably use the opportunity to torque the front end per Randakks recommendation. I'll likely do some dry fires on the motor to get oil moving and check oil pressure/level before firing up.
wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wannabridin »

Got the front brakes bled, picked up some dorman bleeders. Will likely try to bleed it a little more soon to let any possible air bubbles out again. just have to get some hose for the rear and i'll get it bled.

Installed the wiring for the rear lighting. Used a Hopkins trailer converter to get the dual filament turn signals to operate as brakes. Then ran additional lines to the 4 other lights out back, just need to get those installed next.

Installed the frame section and left exhaust. It's getting VERY close to firing...
wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wannabridin »

Just need a license plate and to reinstall the red lenses. Also, might change the black plastic portion to stainless, but no rush currently.
Attachments
IMG-20210412-WA0039.jpeg
IMG-20210412-WA0039.jpeg (204.48 KiB) Viewed 775 times
wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wannabridin »

Repaired the tab on the left side cover. Got the shelter covers installed. Anyone ever realize their corbin seat won't let the shelters drop without seriously rubbing the seat??

She really needs a bath!
Attachments
20210414_232418_HDR.jpg
20210414_232418_HDR.jpg (228.67 KiB) Viewed 756 times
fitscott
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by fitscott »

Almost time for a test ride!
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

wannabridin wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:00 am SNIP Anyone ever realize their corbin seat won't let the shelters drop without seriously rubbing the seat??

SNIP
Yes. If you can lift just a bit on the edge of the seat it helps some as does sliding them in front the front a bit. On my Naked bike I often just remove the seat to prevent the possibility of breaking a tab.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wannabridin »

Ya, that's annoying to me, haha! Maybe if i ever re-upholster it (to get rid of the flames), I'll trim the front to clear the shelters....

I do need some short bolts for the rear of the seat though, PO had put some VERY long ones in there that barely cleared the grab bar.
Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Gowing »

Wonderful build, electrical, exhaust, brakes. konis, seat, etc. plus its black!
Dave

1975 GL 1000
1980 XS650
1981 ct110
1972 F7 KAW 175
2000 moby blaze 40cc
Chihuahua (Ellie)
Chihuahua #2(Blaze)
wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wannabridin »

Tested static timing, light turns on right at the F marks on each respective side, so hopefully the dyna is still in solid shape. i do have a backup unit, NIB if so.

Threw a gallon of 87 in the gas tank (which still looks great inside, thankfully) along with an oz of Redline fuel treatment.

Hit the points cover and a few other engine covers w/ the wire wheel and semichrome to make them look less bad, cleaned up pretty nice.

Spent the past few nights w/ a detail brush and some APC getting the hard to reach dirt cleaned up on the frame and shelter.

Rigged up a custom PCV breather - used a Uni filter and some rubber hose ran straight up, looks decent.

Bleeding the rear brake soon. Need to apply some anti-squeal paste on the brake pads in lieu of the shims that have gone missing. Need to hook up the rear brake switch too.

Still need to figure out the horn mount, but at least the wires are there and ready to go, so that'll be fairly easy.

Need to install the grips and adjust the throttle cables. I'm HOPING that the sync is close enough, but you never know with more than 1 carb!

Need to finish torquing the rear end, clean up the wheels and the fire it up. Will only fill the cooling system with distilled water for now. Once i feel ok with that, i'll drain and fill w/ water wetter and pre-mix.

I did a test spot on the Corbin's red flames w/ some black dye. It's certainly better than the red, might be able to get away w/o re-covering. Still need to modify the front of the seat to clear the side covers, will likely use some fabric glue or leather patch to cover those up after and keep em looking decent.
Chainman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Chainman »

What's APC?
1975 GL1000
wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wannabridin »

All Purpose Cleaner
wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wannabridin »

Threw a coat of brake pad paste on all 6 pads. Then wouldn't you know it, I found the front shims (I'm assuming there's only 2, on the piston side?), Haha. No luck on a rear shim, but I'll give all this a shot.

Looks like I might need some new VC gaskets, the right one is leaking SUPER slowly, but that's NBD.

Got the rear brake bled too, pretty painless process.

Just need to do some torquing, update a few fuses, tighten up a few things and then I can likely bring it down off the lift and hope it fires to life!!
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

wannabridin wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:30 am Threw a coat of brake pad paste on all 6 pads. Then wouldn't you know it, I found the front shims (I'm assuming there's only 2, on the piston side?),
Correct.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wannabridin »

Thanks for clarifying. At least i have an option for the fronts should the paste not work...
wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wannabridin »

Well, my rear master mounting solution had a bit too much slop in it, so I got some movement when pushing down on the pedal. I think I know how to fix it, just have to think of a few ideas first...

Wasted a lot of time on that one tonight, unfortunately....