I struggled to find a mechanic!

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

biggyfries
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

I struggled to find a mechanic!

Post by biggyfries »

Hi GW'ers, I went dormant for about 18 months while my nice '79 GW was laid up. It had become hard to start and ran on 3 cyls and the cause of the problem was unknown. I am not a beginner mechanic but own a lot of tools, but I needed help on my problem. I took it to a mechanic known to be the best GW mechanic around--he earned my respect long ago--a seasoned expert mechanic, but he's wanting to retire, he has troubles with his employer and while my bike sat in their shop (for three months) I called in to see how my job was coming, and they said they hadn't touched it, but they'd like me to just come get my bike! I went to see em to try to understand what happened, they didn't want to say anything to the customer, but I gathered the only guy who would work on an old GW (the expert) was quitting and they wanted my bike out of there to free up space. Before I loaded it up the expert gives me good advice--he said he guessed my problem was the plenum gasket so I should look there. So I look it to the local Honda dealer and they said sorry, we'd rather not take your job--its too old for our shop! I called the big Honda dealer in the bigger city and they said the same--they won't work on any old bikes! But they did refer me to a private bike repair shop in a nearby city--I took it there but couldn't find their shop. I was in the right neighbor hood, so I stopped at a small engine repair shop to get directions to the shop I was looking for and I was welcomed by a father and son team who repaired mowers, weed eaters, atv's but they also had a hot love of old Hondas, and on the bench was a GL1000 carb rack just being rebuilt. They saw my bike in my truck and welcomed me with open arms! I said I needed directions, but first tell me about your knowledge if GW carbs. Luckily I had stumbled onto a shop perfect for me! It's Classic Moto Works, Kennewick, WA 509-552-7203. They fix all small engines but the love is for old Hondas, so I unloaded my bike.
Just two days later I get the call--they have my bike running well, but they said the plenum gasket was no good, so I said get me one, and continue. About a week later they said come get your bike. After all the grief I had gone through for the previous year I was VERY happy at this great service! They had it purring like a kitten! My sweetie was back thanks to the great work of Classic Moto Works. They are members of the local antique motorcycle club, Retro Riders--I am also a member so I'll be seeing them around I'm sure!
'79 GL1000
'16 KLR650 Blackie
'02 KLR650 Eyesore
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: I struggled to find a mechanic!

Post by desertrefugee »

Good for you! And let me guess, their prices were also very reasonable...

Seems like the little guys, in addition to being willing and able to work on Old Hondas, also know how to price their work appropriately.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.