Autumn Rebuild

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Autumn Rebuild

Post by ericheath »

The Dynas that I had fail drop two cylinders. It was usually one side of the two pickups. I also had one older version Dyna 3 (black box type) fail but that was from high source voltage and it was cooked in the box. My sense wire for regulator came off and I saw the smoke leave the box. I have only read of one of the newest version Dyna have an issue.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

I have had several Dyna systems over the years, and they all failed, one way or another. Some one module or the other, some with brain box failure. Mostly on long trips. I believe the module failures were heat related, as when the engine cooled down, it would run well for a while till the heat returned. Not overheating, but normal temp. I gave up on Dyna and went to a C5 system several years ago and never looked back. Much better then the Dyna. More reliable, in my opinion.
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
heli_madken
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by heli_madken »

Thanks Cyborg, I think I have found my issue.

Got home tonight and the bike would not start, thought what now!!! until I put her on reserve and she fired up

Oops :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: think she might have been running out of petrol :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Ran for 30 minutes with no sign of any problems. Just goes to show if you look for a problem you will find one.

Really sorry everyone, dont be too hard on me at least I was brave enough to own up :-D
heli_madken
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by heli_madken »

Good ride out today, man am I chuffed everything worked silky smooth. What I thought was the half rotation clunk has completely gone so a lack of grease on all joints of the final drive was to blame for that, angry at myself for not checking sooner.

Only revved to 5000 rpm but she was singing and pulling strong, before she used to sound angry and felt flat. At 50 mph in 5th I can't feel the engine its so smooth. My other bike is a BMW R1250RT and although it develops a lot more power the GL1000 has the better engine for touring in my opinion.

Thanks everyone for the help, I still feel she runs rich at tick over so a little more work to do but otherwise wow!!
Liam
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Liam »

Great stuff. I would like to see some pictures of the finished bike. :crosso :crosso :crosso
heli_madken
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by heli_madken »

Will do Liam, weather was closing in so had to rush home but as soon as I get a good day.

I thought I would report back on the aluminium radiator I fitted. I could not find one that had the expansion tank connection in the correct orientation so had to take a chance and buy the 1100 type - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123800922756

First impressions when it arrived weren't very good, welds are not pretty but at least they are functional. I had to do some work to make the fan fit and also the bottom brackets needed to be trimmed a little to clear the frame.

The next challenge was the fact that the overflow and the cap itself fouls the coils. This was relatively easy to solve by moving them to the other side of the mounts and moving the mounts to the other side of the frame -
20200208_174953.jpg
20200208_174953.jpg (146.24 KiB) Viewed 182 times
The radiator itself is the same size but it has more water channels and they are bigger, I think it looks great -
20200208_175001.jpg
20200208_175001.jpg (226.77 KiB) Viewed 182 times
At least I can be confident that it is completely clear inside, I think for the money I paid its actually good value if you are prepared to spend some time making adjustments -
20200208_175438.jpg
20200208_175438.jpg (186.73 KiB) Viewed 182 times
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Looking good!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
heli_madken
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by heli_madken »

Weather has been pants but finally had a chance to get a reasonably long ride -
20200304_125859.jpg
20200304_125859.jpg (184.03 KiB) Viewed 151 times
Things didnt go entirely to plan. Firstly I have at last cured my over rich problem, when I first bought the bike I knew it had carburetor issues so I did a partial rebuild and replaced all the jets using Keyster components. This made matters worse then following a members advice I reverted back to the OEM jets. All except the #35 slow fuel jets. For some reason I missed these more than once and only by chance noticed the originals where still in my parts bin.

Lesson learnt, as soon as the OEM jets where back in the richness has gone and all four plugs burn exactly the same. Only problem in my attempts at chasing the cause I have the floats set at 22.5mm so now she runs too weak, still I am an expert at taking these carbs off now so no biggy to correct this. Moral, dont use Keyster jets they will cause you no end of problems.

Now for the second problem which happened on my first ride since the rebuild, about 10 miles from home I suddenly lost the clutch, had just enough to limp home fortunately. What happens is the actuating lever 'cams-over' you can see the return spring is very tight in the picture below.
20200304_143835.jpg
20200304_143835.jpg (118.43 KiB) Viewed 151 times
When it happened the first time I thought perhaps I had not adjusted correctly but this time I know everything was as it should be. I have replaced the friction plates and springs with OEM parts, did the usual turn adjuster screw in until feel friction, out 3/4 turn then lock nut, 5/8 lever play with main adjuster then 1/4 play with handlebar adjuster. Clutch works great until bam!, its as if the actuator is being pulled too far, cant quite figure out whats happening, any ideas?

Thanks for any help, Ken
heli_madken
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by heli_madken »

I have a theory, perhaps the return spring is knackered and not pulling the lever back fast enough when I release the clutch which is allowing the cable nipple to move forward and catch the second step, the extra few mm cams the lever over the next time I pull the clutch in, am I seeing things or can you see the this case in my picture?
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

I have had the same problem with my 78. Many years ago. Followed exactly the adjustment in the manual, and have not had a problem since. The correct free play on both ends is VERY important. And the difference between a cold engine, and a warm one can make a difference
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200