1st time owner '80 GL1100 update

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

TerraKacher
Tin Member
Tin Member
My Album: 80 GL1100i

1st time owner '80 GL1100 update

Post by TerraKacher »

I was posting on the "Welcome and Intros page" and moved most of my comments to here.

Since June 21st,

I took the carbs off the bike and carefully tore it down. Placing each carb piece in a numbered cup. I found the article regarding cleaning the Slow Jets. Took a #10 screw and screwed it in a few threads, the jet popped out easily..
https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/download/ ... w&id=73991
[img]
jets2.jpg
[/img]

And this was after cleaning it the first time.

So this time I read on line that someone boiled their carbs. One person said his was really bad, so he boiled them in Pine Sol and water for three days, then boiled them in lemon juice. I didn't want to take 3 days, so I did boil the carbs individually with their jets. I used a commercial detergent for cleaning pot and pans. I also added Citric Acid. Essentially Citric Acid is the same as lemon Juice. Well I didn't have any citric Acid handy, but I did have a bottle of Descaling solution for my Keurig coffee maker. The main ingredient was Citric Acid. I added it to the detergent and boiled each carb for an hour. When they came out, I used pressured air. Boy were they clean this time. There wasn't any dirt, oil, grime. Super clean.

I carefully reassembled the carbs one at a time. Taking particular attention to the gaskets. Put it all together and install back on the bike.

I replace the ignitors, there was a article that if the back side melts, you can fix them, I opted to get a pair from Amazon almost new pair.

Cranked it up last night and it purrrred, idled down and kept running. dancr

BUT

smoke was billowing from the left side of the engine. Gas was now pouring out from the bottom of the carbs. I checked the drain screw, yes they were in and tight. I pulled #2 and #4 intake manifold off and rechecked both screws and gaskets. They looked fine. Retighted and re-installed the manifolds. Started it up..... Still leaking gas fly into a rage.

The carbs are sitting on my table in my shop.....Again. Deal with it on Friday.
There are three kinds of people, those that do math and those that don't.
TerraKacher
Tin Member
Tin Member

Re: 1st time owner '80 GL1100 update

Post by TerraKacher »

Yesterday, I took the carb bowls off and checked the gaskets. One gasket looked as though it may of slipped a little, but that didn't seem to be the big one.

I checked the float needle. That little pin that is spring loaded, I double checked those to make sure they were working before I put it all back together. But 2 our 4 needles, that little pin did not rise up again.

Now I have four new needles on order, should be here on Tuesday from Amazon. :2thumbs
TerraKacher
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by TerraKacher »

I got the four new needles from Amazon. But I've been so busy I haven't had the time to install them. Hopefully I will get it done before winter gets here.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

TerraKacher wrote:I got the four new needles from Amazon. But I've been so busy I haven't had the time to install them. Hopefully I will get it done before winter gets here.
Did you get OEM needles or aftermarket?

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
TerraKacher
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by TerraKacher »

robin1731 wrote:
TerraKacher wrote:I got the four new needles from Amazon. But I've been so busy I haven't had the time to install them. Hopefully I will get it done before winter gets here.
Did you get OEM needles or aftermarket?

Sorry for the delay, the needles were OEM.
TerraKacher
Tin Member
Tin Member

'80 GL1100 update and setback.

Post by TerraKacher »

So I finally had some time to put the new float needles in. #1, #2, #3,.....? :shock: What the heck??? I can't find one of the pins that hold the float in place. I labeled four cups, put the parts in each cup.
Installed 1,2 and 3, but when I got to cup #4, that pin was missing. I swept the floor days ago. I searched all over my counter top, under the mat, every crevice, nothing grrrrrrr. Another set back fly into a rage

Would anyone have a spare from an old carb you can part with. I will pay for shipping.
1980 GL1100i
TerraKacher
Tin Member
Tin Member

Found Pin

Post by TerraKacher »

I lost the pin for the #4 carb float. But I had swept the shop and table and put it all into trash bags. I went through all the bags of trash by hand sifting through all the dust by hand... didn't find the pin. I searched behind all my cabinets and tool boxs. Very frusterating. But under my work bench I have a metal box I use as a foot rest, and right under that box, action1 WAS THAT DANG PIN!!! dancr

Woohoo, back in business again. I primed the carbs last night and getting ready to install the carb back on the bike. Will let you know how it goes.
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Always look in the hardest spot first ....

Gord :orange
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
TerraKacher
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by TerraKacher »

I installed the carbs a night or two ago, and it started right up and idled down. I was excited as a school boy. So I grabbed the Sync gauges and hooked them up, restarted the bike. And this is what I got now, any ideas???

#1 would indicate a vacuum leak. I checked all the bolts and clamps, everything is tight. I sprayed carb cleaner all over the intake and carb, no change in revs. I switched gauges and it still showed the same thing on the other one.

Now the only thing I haven't done is check the valve clearance.
Guages-2.jpg
Guages-2.jpg (108.19 KiB) Viewed 157 times
TerraKacher
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by TerraKacher »

RAT wrote:Always look in the hardest spot first ....

Gord :orange
I keep telling myself to look in the last place first and save me all the trouble of looking for it. lolol
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

did you check the rubber hoses on the carbs? when I rebuilt the ones on my 76 I tested them with a vacuum gauge as per Randakks video and one had a small crack in it that I had a heck of a time finding. Glad I checked it before I put them back on the bike.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

5speed wrote:did you check the rubber hoses on the carbs? when I rebuilt the ones on my 76 I tested them with a vacuum gauge as per Randakks video and one had a small crack in it that I had a heck of a time finding. Glad I checked it before I put them back on the bike.
The 1100's don't have the individual rubber hoses like the 1000's. I'd be looking at the intake clamps first. They can be a pain to get tight, especially when cold. It's usually recommended to retighten them all with the engine up to temp. Also, did you bench sync them first? It's not uncommon to get the sync arms assembled incorrectly.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.