81 Interstate conversion into sport cruiser

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Re: 81 Interstate conversion into sport cruiser

Post by 77Gowing »

Seafoam, MMO,...perhaps Keebler Elve cookie dust!

Tribology
Synthetic oil in modern cars as I understand it increases the oil change intervals significantly.
But our old bikes may not be compatible with all the friction modifiers in modern oil. I recall in our test labs one of our engineers was a subject matter expert when it came to oil & lube. As a young guy I asked what made synthetic oil so special. He said with synth oil all of the long chain molecules are uniform in size with no clumping as with nonsyn oil.
Ok, I'm done with that little bit of factoids. Now my well is dry of any more. lolol
Speaking of oil, did I tell you I'm in the "Oil BIDNESS" here in Texas. I have mineral rights and last year I made $48.62 in royalties. SHOOT! Thanks Mom!
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
sonoramike
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by sonoramike »

head gasket is in, but after reading the ShopTalk article on head gasket replacement I need a few more parts to get that job done. Have not ordered a new head off of ebay yet but need to do that. Working on the exhaust this week, the akropovic shorty chinese clones came in, slowly working on cutting the exhaust manifolds back far enough where I can get a midpipe in place but not take too much off the manifolds leaving me with no metal to weld the midpipe to. \

Started taking the seat cover off last night before the mosquito's got insane, been a real bad spring for them so far with all the rain we had this last winter, can't stay out to long else I'll get eaten alive. I decided that I'm just going to cut the foam down and reshape it to suit me for nowa, found a link to http://diymotorcycleseat.com that is helping me get a grip on this work.

I think this $75 seat cover will work when I get all done with, but I wish I could see a side view :

Just concerned with the rise in the middle, seems like it still has a bit of "seat back" allowance in the material

End result should look something like @phoney54's seat mod effort:

And this is really that look that I'm after, just kinda flatten the seat out as much as possible, little rise in the passenger area is unavoidable I'm thinking, but I'll know more when I get the seat foam cut up.

The 7v transistors arrived the other day to fix the fuel and temp gauges on the instrument cluster.

Superbike bars arrived and are installed, used the stock cables and did a bit of rerouting. The front brake master cylinder hose to the brake line splitter (for L/R calipers) on the bottom triple clamp is way too long, but will work now that I've loosened the brake banjo coming off the master cyl and repositioned the direction of the hose.

Had to grind the nubs off on the throttle and blinker assembly's to get the handlebar assembled. Had a "bar repositioner" setup that moved the stock bars up and back an inch or so back towards the rider that I took off that used 2 diff bolt sizes - a shorter pair of allen head bolts for the bottom holes in the top mount cover, and a pair of really long allen head bolts that went through the "bar repositioners" and into the top triple. So I'm short 2 bolts at the moment.

Now I have to figure out what to do with the choke cable, think I'm going to mount it in the frame under the shelter on the left side - right hand for starter button and throttle, left hand for pulling/adjusting the choke. The rounded edges on the choke mount won't fit on the chrome "Interstate" handlebar clamp piece, so I need to move it to a new location.

7" headlight arrives today: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BV4VZV9

Looking at doing an Interstate cast wheel swap down the road, first things first though, get it back on the road.

Need to figure out the neutral light: https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... 21#p135721

So after the seat is carved up, then next up is exhaust, and head gasket.

more to come
sonoramike
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by sonoramike »

"SMT MOTO- Motorcycle Black billet Aluminum Headlight Fork Mounting Brackets" arrived just now https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RUEAHD4/

thinking the 4into1 headlight assembly will arrive USPS tomorrow
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Those look very nicely made...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
sonoramike
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by sonoramike »

Got the seat cover removed and the foam seperated from the plastic/poly seat base. The rear passenger section has a bump that'll need to be cut out to make the entire back se tion flat. Thinking I'll need to order some new foam. Going to work on shaping the existing foam this week with either a carving knife, a hacksaw blade, or the cutoff wheel on the angle grinder
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

I've heard the grinder/cutoff wheel works particularly well when the foam is frozen. I used to use an electric carving knife when I did auto trim. Worked pretty well...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
sonoramike
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by sonoramike »

Note to self, get parts on order later today
Head gasket replacement, 1 side

Fiche #, Description (HONDA DESC), PN, Qty, Price (Notes)
------------------------------------------------------------------
6 - Head gaskets (GASKET, CYLINDER HEAD), 12251-MG9-306, 1, $45.10
17, Intake O-Rings (O-RING (40X2.6)), 91301-371-005, 0, $3.23
18, Oil Control Orifice O-Ring (O-RING (6.5X1.5)), 91305-371-003, 1, $2.01
19, Oil Orifice O-Ring (O-RING (4.1X1.5)), 91308-371-003, 1, $3.36
25, PIN, DOWEL (12X20), 94301-12200, 2, $1.52
7, Water joint gasket (GASKET, WATER JOINT), 19429-371-306, 1, $4.42 (Thermostat)
14, Water joint orings (O-RING (21.9X2.3)), 91301-MB6-003, 2, $1.46 (Thermostat)
2, - (GASKET, HEAD COVER), 12328-371-000, 1, $15.10 (Cylinder Head Cover)

15, Camshaft Oil seals (OIL SEAL (27X43X9)), 91209-371-003, 1, $10.41
2/3, Valve guides (GUIDE, VALVE), 12204-371-305, 1, $11.87
4, Valve guide clips (CLIP, VALVE GUIDE), 12211-250-310, 1, $3.00
1, Valve stem seals (SEAL, VALVE STEM (NOK)), 12209-MB9-003, 1, $7.78 (Camshaft/Valve)

https://cdn.partzilla.com/MTE/d/9/MjAzN ... ce86d6.png
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... inder-head
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... haft-valve
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... thermostat
https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/[part number]
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Maybe it was mentioned before but why do you think you need new valve guides? Cast iron guides rarely need replaced. valve stems will wear before the guides.

And in case you don't know. If you do replace the guides you have to get the seats cut. No way around that.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
sonoramike
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by sonoramike »

robin1731 wrote:Maybe it was mentioned before but why do you think you need new valve guides? Cast iron guides rarely need replaced. valve stems will wear before the guides.
I don't, they were part of another post I found this info on, so I left it in the list in case I might need the info later. I'd think stem seals might be something to look at while I have the valve covers off. They're not cheap though surprisingly
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Yeah, valve seals are a normal part of it when you have the head apart.
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
sonoramike
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by sonoramike »

hoping not to take the head apart, just off and clean the surfaces, confirm the head isn't warped as best I can, install the new gasket/s and o-rings and button it back up. Will want to inspect and see about adding some JBWeld repair to that oil leak area I pointed out above. Trying to keep it as simple as I can
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

IMO it's a shame/waste to have the head off and not put valve seals in. Unless you know the seals are less than 1 or 2 years old I'd do it. They aren't hard to do and don't cost much.
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
sonoramike
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by sonoramike »

dont disagree but I dont want to go too far down the rabbit hole, I have a tendency to take something apart, see a problem, take it further apart, see more, soon I have a bike in shambles. I want to ride this one, the GT750 is the big problem, dont want this one to become a repair project as well. Doesn't seem to be smoking at all now, taking the approach of let sleeping dogs lie and all that...