GL1000 77

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Wingersparty
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

GL1000 77

Post by Wingersparty »

So, i thought id do post about my project. I am restoring a 77' GL1000 and theres a lot of questions and i thought that it would be good to post them all under one topic. I made a post in goldwingsdocs also but i find ngwc more informative so i will move my project here. Im lazy writer so ill just copy/paste the first post:

Im the new guy here, first post about first GL .
I love classic bikes and Hondas and just purchased 1977 GL 1000. Its runner but it needs some love. Long story short i was looking for some winter project an this guy offered me to sell his gl. He had it for 13 years and he was driving it every season. Just last two years it was standing because the guy got new bike. He was true biker so it looks like the bike is well maintained.
It has some strange headlight with some diy brackets that needs to go and the rear fender is also painted black. The speedometer doesn't work and engine needs new valve stem sealings and new belts.
My plan is to find missing original parts, and fix the bike and then ride it this summer. Next winter will see, maybe ill turn it in to a project (caferacer or scrambler) or something else. The very first thing i did was i swaped the handlebars. I purchased a lower handlebars and installed them at first day. I didn't like the looks of original handlebars at all. Now it's more my taste and i can resume with the project. Now I need to find some shorter cables.
I signed up here to get some advice and share the information.
At first i thought that it will be easy task to find original parts but what a joke... I have spent many nights online ( wife is getting suspicious already ha ha ha) looking for headlight brackets and rear fender in reasonable price with no luck. Most of them are sold in the US, but id like to find something from EU.
Any suggestions where to look?

So that's how the story began... :)
If anybody is interested then few posts can be found there https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopi ... =3&t=50375
Fast forward into present day- i have stripped the frame, grinded off the sidecar mounting brackets, sandblasted the frame and some other details (so now i can forget riding it this season ):

and i found some ugly rust bites hiding under the paint:

This will be easy project they said, it will be finished by the end of the summer they said... crying1 crying1
now i must postpone the painting and go back to welders place... rrrggghhhh :IDTS: :evil: But hey im not even 40 jet (forever 39 :guitar ) and as i understand the right age for riding GW is after 50 so i have all the time in the world :)

I ll try to lift the entertainment value of this thread by adding pics but i must say i am not a good photographer and i always forget to take a pictures. (Im on a smartphone addiction rehab program also lolol ) But ill do may best.

Also made a post i "Wanted" section about the parts im currently lookingfor so maybe if you have anything to offer just send a PS anim-cheers1

Cheers, Peter
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Re: GL1000 77

Post by Rat »

Better that you found the rust sooner than later .... have fun with it

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

at work I just get black X's.... but ill check at home
:popcornx2
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

RAT wrote:Better that you found the rust sooner than later .... have fun with it

Gord
+1 on that. And much easier to fix now...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
flyin900
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by flyin900 »

Have you posted in the "Wanted Section" on here for your missing parts? Someone may have what your needing without the EBay mentality of price gouging. Putting your location in the avatar also helps in identifying where you are, as a number of members are in the British Isles, or on the continent too.
Current Bikes:

1966 CL77 - Honda 305cc - Dual purpose - "Gentleman's Scrambler" was a period moniker.
1967 CL175K0 - Low production number with #802 engine serial- winter 2019/2020 full restoration.
1972 CB350F - Baby Four with low mileage - Cosmetic refresh to the next level 2021/2022.
1978 CB550K - Very original bike with only 7499 Km. from new - light cleanup and refresh done.
1983 CB1100F - Canadian model - DOHC Supersport in pristine low kilometre condition from new.
1984 GL1200 - Standard model in showroom condition - two owner bike from new.
1984 CX650E - Restored summer 2017 - a rare Eurosport model - excellent one owner bike.
Wingersparty
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Wingersparty »

flyin900 wrote:Have you posted in the "Wanted Section" on here for your missing parts? Someone may have what your needing without the EBay mentality of price gouging. Putting your location in the avatar also helps in identifying where you are, as a number of members are in the British Isles, or on the continent too.
I am from Estonia (EU)
And the wanted thread is here: https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67164
Wingersparty
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Wingersparty »

Now the frame is at welders place and the rest of the details are in powdercoating shop. Cant wait to see the painted parts.
In the meantime i have been thinking about the consept of the project. At first i wanted to restore the bike to its original condition but some of the parts are hard to find in my country and ordering from eBay is so darn expensive. So the next option is just build it up in slightly modified way. No frame cutting or anything like that, just few upgrades to fresh up the look. Corbin gunfighter seat, Clubman style handlebars something like that.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

Nothing wrong with 'making it your own.' And if you're not cutting up the frame, it would be pretty easy to return the bike to stock later if you so desire.

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
New2U Bike? Read Me.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

I had some rust on the cross member of my LTD and welded support pieces onto it... thought about a welding shop to just replace the cross tube

a really good welder can replace a lot of what is bad (I am not that good of a welder)
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Wingersparty
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Wingersparty »

I am really starting to like the GLs where the wheels are replacer with 16inch wheels. I wonder where i could buy the spokes for this kind of swap? I am looking for EU based spoke manufacturer who could produce custom spokes.

I thought if id install 16 rear and 17 in front with fat tires it wouldn't change the ride height much. Any experiences ?
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

I have seen 16" spoke kits on ebay. but best just to find someone who laces spoke wheels... they will have what you need
-Rodger-
Wingersparty
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Wingersparty »

Dear diary.... I hate waiting :evil: :twisted: . I hate the time when all the parts are getting some treatment and i litterally have nothing to do. I hate when im not in control. And the most i hate to get to know that my parts have been sent to some other random customer. This is exactly what happened today when i went to get my stuff from powdercoating. All i got back was tripple tree and top yoke.
Luckily it looks amazing and i got some insurance that the work result is perfect.... If only id get my stuff back. The pc guy appologiszed and organized the number of the other customer and i can get my stuff on the weekend. Cant wait that...
In the meantime i have been reading here and am sure i want to go cafe racer style.
Attachments
Gloss black.
Gloss black.
IMG_20190412_175639.jpg (139.72 KiB) Viewed 588 times
Wingersparty
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Wingersparty »

Bike building is as riding a rollercoaster. Angry yesterday, happy today. Got my stuff from pc. Its like Christmas:
Attachments
Black powdercoated details
Black powdercoated details
IMG_20190413_115158.jpg (181.49 KiB) Viewed 568 times
Wingersparty
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Wingersparty »

Yesterday when I was going through my stuff in garage i remembered that I have a 84' vf750f in parts. I found a complete front brake setup. Master cylinder, stainless steel brakelines and dual cpiston calipers. What do you think will it be an upgrade if ill install them to my gl1000? I know i need to get a new brackets from cb750f
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

Wingersparty wrote:Yesterday when I was going through my stuff in garage i remembered that I have a 84' vf750f in parts. I found a complete front brake setup. Master cylinder, stainless steel brakelines and dual cpiston calipers. What do you think will it be an upgrade if ill install them to my gl1000? I know i need to get a new brackets from cb750f
There's an ongoing thread about the brake upgrade in the tech discussions forum, and yes, it is an upgrade.
The pc looks great!

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
New2U Bike? Read Me.