Jim Palmer's GL1100 Standard

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

low-side
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Jim Palmer's GL1100 Standard

Post by low-side »

I have a short bolt with a crush washer on it to bench bleed master cylinders with. Works really well, just like with a car. Then it's just a matter of a hose from the bleeder to a cup of brake fluid and bleed like normal. If you do that you should be able to go from dry to bled in well less than an hour.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

low-side wrote:I have a short bolt with a crush washer on it to bench bleed master cylinders with. Works really well, just like with a car. Then it's just a matter of a hose from the bleeder to a cup of brake fluid and bleed like normal. If you do that you should be able to go from dry to bled in well less than an hour.
I hope. I don't think I've ever gone from Completely dry system to bled in more than 15 minutes or so. anim-cheers1
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
JamesPal
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by JamesPal »

Those are some good ideas. This is the third bike I've rebuilt the brakes on and started from a dry system. Pulling the fluid with a mity mite always worked well for the initial prime. It is getting the last bit of air out that always challenges me. On the 450 I bet I pumped a quart bottle of Dot 3 through it and it was still spongy. The 1200 front brake was reverse bleed from the 10 mm fitting at the bottom of the caliper. That was all it needed to be perfect. It took about 10 minutes. The clutch was a struggle and the rear (linked) is still spongy. I want to get on top of this and make it a 5 minute job to bleed or replace the fluid. I have memories using a pneumatic brake bleeder at the old gas station I worked at as a kid. It was so quick and easy. I have the material on order to make the pressure bleeder adaptors for the front master cylinders. I didn't get to it this weekend, it was just too nice to be in the garage. I took the 450 out for a nice ride instead. Thanks for the feedback.
"If everything is under control you are not going fast enough" - Mairo Andretti

'85 GL1200I
'81 GL1100 STD
'72 CB450
JamesPal
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: Jim Palmer's GL1100 Standard - Pressure Brake Bleeder

Post by JamesPal »

In this video I put together a pressure brake bleeder from an old automotive air conditioning flushing tool. I made two adaptors for the front and rear brakes on the GL1100.

'85 GL1200I
'81 GL1100 STD
'72 CB450
JamesPal
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: Jim Palmer's GL1100 Standard - Bleeder Tryout

Post by JamesPal »

I tried the bleeder out today. It didn't work as well I hoped, but does show promise. Overall it pushed about a quart of fluid through the front brake. It bottle has an internal leak that mixed air into the fluid outflow. It was sealed up with JB Silicone.

He is a video of the effort today:

'85 GL1200I
'81 GL1100 STD
'72 CB450
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

Just checking in.... Hope all is going well JamesPal!
-
~CrazyJerry~
JamesPal
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by JamesPal »

CrazyJerry wrote:Just checking in.... Hope all is going well JamesPal!
-
~CrazyJerry~
Jerry, thanks for asking. Spring has sprung out here in Seattle. I did get the brakes done. The pressure bleeder worked great. I can bleed the brakes on a GL1100 in about 5 minutes. I got a little bit of video and I will edit it down and post.

Next up is the engine. I want to replace the stator with a Rick's Stator and inspect the water pump. Then it is just continue to assemble and get it done. I have one issue that I don't understand. The CDI module look like they have overheated. There is a tar like potting on the back side and it has dripped out. Does anybody know what caused this and should they be replaced?

'85 GL1200I
'81 GL1100 STD
'72 CB450
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

JamesPal wrote:snip...…….. The CDI module look like they have overheated. There is a tar like potting on the back side and it has dripped out. Does anybody know what caused this and should they be replaced?

Seems to be fairly common. Many bikes running out there with them like and have no issues. Some have talked about refilling it with an epoxy mix. Some leave them as is.

1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

robin1731 wrote:
JamesPal wrote:snip...…….. The CDI module look like they have overheated. There is a tar like potting on the back side and it has dripped out. Does anybody know what caused this and should they be replaced?

Seems to be fairly common. Many bikes running out there with them like and have no issues. Some have talked about refilling it with an epoxy mix. Some leave them as is.

It's a common occurrence. I've put 10k miles on my '81 with the potting mostly gone, and had no problems (yet). Honda changed the design in 82, IIRC, and they are much less likely to be a problem. The newer ones have a red wire cover instead of black, if you happen to look for good used replacement.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
JamesPal
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by JamesPal »

Hey, I'm back to working on the bike. Seems like riding, vacations, riding and more riding have been taking me away from the garage. I did a seven day tour of north eastern Oregon. I brought back about 14 hours of awesome ride video. I will get that edited and posted as time permits. So much fun, sucks so little time.

The engine I bought for this bike was leaking coolant into the oil. I'm replacing the water pump before the engine goes back into the bike. I cannot seem to find the torque values in either the GL1100 or GL1200 Factory Shop Manuals. These are 6MM bolts going into aluminum. Everything else on the engine for a 6MM bolt is 7 Foot Pounds. These bolts have a crush washer under them. Anyone have any ideas?

'85 GL1200I
'81 GL1100 STD
'72 CB450
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

I don't know the torque values, but when I did mine, I used a 1/4 inch drive ratchet and socket, and new crush washers, then tightened them up... no leaks in almost 20k miles...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
JamesPal
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by JamesPal »

I found this thread on Goldwing Docs http://www.goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=275. Down about 80 pics the author says torque 9 foot pounds. This sounds about right to me.

'85 GL1200I
'81 GL1100 STD
'72 CB450
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

JamesPal wrote:I found this thread on Goldwing Docs http://www.goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=275. Down about 80 pics the author says torque 9 foot pounds. This sounds about right to me.

Pretty standard torque for a 6mm bolt.
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

JamesPal wrote:Hey, I'm back to working on the bike. Seems like riding, vacations, riding and more riding have been taking me away from the garage. I did a seven day tour of north eastern Oregon. I brought back about 14 hours of awesome ride video. I will get that edited and posted as time permits. So much fun, sucks so little time.

The engine I bought for this bike was leaking coolant into the oil. I'm replacing the water pump before the engine goes back into the bike. I cannot seem to find the torque values in either the GL1100 or GL1200 Factory Shop Manuals. These are 6MM bolts going into aluminum. Everything else on the engine for a 6MM bolt is 7 Foot Pounds. These bolts have a crush washer under them. Anyone have any ideas?
Looking forward to your ride-video and continuing progress on this bike JamesPal.
:crosso
-
~CrazyJerry~
Pony Ruiz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pony Ruiz »

Hey Jim,
I'm just now finding this and catching up on ngw.
looks like you are going to use that gasket set. I had a feeling remember?

I finally got my 78 going.
I'm sorting out a few things but if they check out - Vashon here I come. I think tbranth might be up for it. We should hook up.
1978GL1000 naked - kinda sadly gone. no bike at the moment.

"The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function." Albert A. Bartlett.