Jim Palmer's GL1100 Standard

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

JamesPal
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: Jim Palmer's GL1100 Standard

Post by JamesPal »

I got a few hours in the garage on Sunday. The master cylinders are assembled and the front one is installed. The calipers are in along with the front fender. I have a set of banjo bolts on order. The punch list has these items:
Mounting bolts for the rear master cylinder
Drill new handle bars for the switches
Order mount screws for left and right handlebar switches
Build best tacko-speedo from parts
get a working ignition switch that is keyed to the other locks on the bike
Fit brake hoses
Decide what to do with front turn signals
New gromets for side covers
New shortened throttle and clutch cables
New clutch handle perch and front master cylinder pivot bolts
Then get the engine ready for install

Here is the video from last Sunday:
"If everything is under control you are not going fast enough" - Mairo Andretti

'85 GL1200I
'81 GL1100 STD
'72 CB450
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

If you have new banjo bolts coming did you also order new crush washers?

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
JamesPal
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by JamesPal »

robin1731 wrote:If you have new banjo bolts coming did you also order new crush washers?

Yes I did. I have been successful at reusing them. They can be annealed by holding them over a gas stove flame or propane torch. I let the get cherry red and slow cool. Then use a mill file to flatten them.

'85 GL1200I
'81 GL1100 STD
'72 CB450
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

JamesPal wrote: Yes I did. I have been successful at reusing them. They can be annealed by holding them over a gas stove flame or propane torch. I let the get cherry red and slow cool. Then use a mill file to flatten them.
Yes I know that. But if you're getting new bolts may as well get new washers too.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
JamesPal
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by JamesPal »

Day 7 Build up the handlebars and headlight. I was a little late getting the video put together. I discovered none of the stock parts will fit the new bars and decided to leave the stock bars on the bike. It turns out the old handlebars had been modified for an old fairing installation. I found a used set on ebay and they are on the way.

'85 GL1200I
'81 GL1100 STD
'72 CB450
JamesPal
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by JamesPal »

Day 8 Install the Rear Master Cylinder and Brake Hoses 3-2-19
This video shows the mounting of the rear master cylinder and brake lines. This installation uses Goodridge brake line components, banjo fittings, banjo bolts and hoses.
I was able to source a Goodridge 10mm 35 degree banjo fitting from an ebay seller. They gave a guaranteed delivery of Friday Mar 8. The new handlebars should be here by next weekend too. If these parts come home I should be able to get the handlebar installation completed and the brakes bled. Thinking ahead that leaves building up the speed-tacko unit. Then I need to decide what to do with the engine. My engine plan includes installing a new Rick’s stator, changing the cam shaft seals and inspecting the water pump. The previous owner had changed the water pump but was not confident about the installation.

'85 GL1200I
'81 GL1100 STD
'72 CB450
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

JamesPal wrote:Day 8 Install the Rear Master Cylinder and Brake Hoses 3-2-19
This video shows the mounting of the rear master cylinder and brake lines. This installation uses Goodridge brake line components, banjo fittings, banjo bolts and hoses.
I was able to source a Goodridge 10mm 35 degree banjo fitting from an ebay seller. They gave a guaranteed delivery of Friday Mar 8. The new handlebars should be here by next weekend too. If these parts come home I should be able to get the handlebar installation completed and the brakes bled. Thinking ahead that leaves building up the speed-tacko unit. Then I need to decide what to do with the engine. My engine plan includes installing a new Rick’s stator, changing the cam shaft seals and inspecting the water pump. The previous owner had changed the water pump but was not confident about the installation.

JamesPal,
Not sure if you bike knows this, but it has hit the lottery!
Looking forward to more of your build/videos!
-
~CrazyJerry~
JamesPal
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by JamesPal »

CrazyJerry wrote:
JamesPal,
Not sure if you bike knows this, but it has hit the lottery!
Looking forward to more of your build/videos!
-
~CrazyJerry~
Jerry, thanks for the comments. I've mistreated the ol' gal over the last 37 years, I owe this to her and will make her happy.

Good news, the new handlebars arrived today. USPS is telling me the banjo fitting will be here on Thursday. I should have brakes by the end off the weekend.

'85 GL1200I
'81 GL1100 STD
'72 CB450
JamesPal
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by JamesPal »

I was a little late getting last week's video done. Here is the story:
This video cover the 9th work day on my 1981 GL1100 Standard. It covers resolving the stuck ignition switch and assembling the handlebars. The key for the ignition switch switch was discovered to be worn. Two new keys were made for the bike by super ebay seller rigentinc-cycle. The ignition switch gets a new electrical switch and is reassembled. The handlebar assembly is put together and hung on the bike.

'85 GL1200I
'81 GL1100 STD
'72 CB450
240zron
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by 240zron »

Nice job on the goldwing rebuild, just picked up a 81 naked wing myself i'm slowly working on.
Take care
Ron

Bikes I own or have owned
78 goldwing
80 goldwing
2-81 goldwings
2-82 goldwings
4-84 GL1200 goldwings
94- 1500 goldwing
95- 1500 goldwing
02- r1150rtp BMW
04- k1200GT BMW
03- k1200LT BMW
00 r1100s BMW
03-GL1800 goldwing
JamesPal
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by JamesPal »

240zron wrote:Nice job on the goldwing rebuild, just picked up a 81 naked wing myself i'm slowly working on.
Looks like you have quite the stable there. You will like this bike.

'85 GL1200I
'81 GL1100 STD
'72 CB450
JamesPal
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: Jim Palmer's GL1100 Standard - Week 10 Bleed the brakes

Post by JamesPal »

This video shows bleeding the brakes. It starts with reverse bleeding, pumping and vacuum bleeding. The results were unsatisfactory. It seems like it is just too difficult to move the brake fluid through the system fast enough to move the air with it. Between restoring the brakes on the CB450 K5, GL1200I and now this bike, only the front brake on the 1200 was satisfactory. My thoughts have turned to making a pressure brake bleeding rig. I have an old air conditioning flushing tool. It seems to have everything needed to be able to push brake fluid through. I have acquired the needed hoses and fittings to make it work for the rear brake on the Goldwings. I will try that this weekend. If it is good I will make adaptors for the front brakes.

This video was shot on Mar 15. Sorry it took so long to get it posted.

'85 GL1200I
'81 GL1100 STD
'72 CB450
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: Jim Palmer's GL1100 Standard - Week 10 Bleed the brakes

Post by CrazyJerry »

JamesPal wrote:... My thoughts have turned to making a pressure brake bleeding rig. I have an old air conditioning flushing tool. It seems to have everything needed to be able to push brake fluid through. I have acquired the needed hoses and fittings to make it work for the rear brake on the Goldwings. I will try that this weekend. If it is good I will make adaptors for the front brakes.. .
I hope you are able to get the old air conditioning flushing tool to do the trick!
For something so simple, bleeding brakes can be a big hassle!
-
~CrazyJerry~
flyin900
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by flyin900 »

I guess I have been fortunate and only ever needed a Mitey Vac to start the process of pulling vacuum and the fluid down into the lines and calipers. I then use a small one man bleeder bottle set up to continue to fine tune bleeding the air from the system. I tie back the front brake lever overnight to evacuate any remaining air bubbles and fortunately they have been good to go.
The rear line/caliper has not given me any issues with needing tying down, as the system has less components and bleed cleanly.
Current Bikes:

1966 CL77 - Honda 305cc - Dual purpose - "Gentleman's Scrambler" was a period moniker.
1967 CL175K0 - Low production number with #802 engine serial- winter 2019/2020 full restoration.
1972 CB350F - Baby Four with low mileage - Cosmetic refresh to the next level 2021/2022.
1978 CB550K - Very original bike with only 7499 Km. from new - light cleanup and refresh done.
1983 CB1100F - Canadian model - DOHC Supersport in pristine low kilometre condition from new.
1984 GL1200 - Standard model in showroom condition - two owner bike from new.
1984 CX650E - Restored summer 2017 - a rare Eurosport model - excellent one owner bike.
tomk1960
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tomk1960 »

You need to prime the master cylinder with the line disconnected. Watch this video and you'll see what I mean, starting at 2:10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4wlSQDsEHw

This method has never let me down and I have never needed a MityVac or any other special tools to bleed the brakes. Until you get some fluid moving out of the MC, you could end up wasting a lot of time pumping and walk away frustrated.
1986 VFR750F Interceptor
1983 Honda CB1100F Super Sport - Red 1123 Resto-Mod
1978 Honda GL1000