76 LTD Restoration

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: 76 LTD Restoration

Post by desertrefugee »

I'm pretty sure we haven't seen such fine examples of LTD's around here in a while. This thread turned into a 2-fer! Interestingly, JetDr's was a restoration and John's is an original. And both in Metro Phoenix!

Looking forward to seeing (and participating) in JohnnyNumbers' refurb.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
JohnnyNumbers
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by JohnnyNumbers »

Easter wrote:Is your cousin still alive? Hard to imagine he would willingly let that bike go. Lucky you.
Oh yeah, he's alive and well. I just finally wore him down! :-D
John

1976 Honda GL1000 LTD
1999 Honda Valkyrie Tourer
2001 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R
JohnnyNumbers
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by JohnnyNumbers »

desertrefugee wrote:I'm pretty sure we haven't seen such fine examples of LTD's around here in a while. This thread turned into a 2-fer! Interestingly, JetDr's was a restoration and John's is an original. And both in Metro Phoenix!

Looking forward to seeing (and participating) in JohnnyNumbers' refurb.

I'm counting on it!
John

1976 Honda GL1000 LTD
2001 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R
dbtroudy
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by dbtroudy »

Welcome to the LTD owners club. Just curious to find out what your serial number is. My LTD is #859 in the sequence.

Don
DBTroudy
Fullerton, CA

'03 GW GL1800 Yellow
'76 GW GL1000 LTD #859
'75 CB200T
JohnnyNumbers
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by JohnnyNumbers »

dbtroudy wrote:Welcome to the LTD owners club. Just curious to find out what your serial number is. My LTD is #859 in the sequence.

Don
I'm assuming the number stamped on the steering head is the serial number. If that's correct then the last three numbers are 871.

I'm attaching a picture of the start of the refresh. I polished the valve covers and replaced the gaskets. I removed the front brake calipers and the front master cylinder today. If I get a chance tomorrow I'll remove the rear brake caliper and master cylinder. Not much to look at but at least it's a start.

John
Attachments
Front Brakes.JPG
Front Brakes.JPG (129.57 KiB) Viewed 331 times
John

1976 Honda GL1000 LTD
2001 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R
JohnnyNumbers
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by JohnnyNumbers »

I've decided to send the rotors to Hampster to have them drilled (sorry desertrefugee). According to the Honda shop manual there's supposed to be a O ring between the right rotor and the hub and it shows it in the diagram. Of course when I took off the right rotor it wasn't there. I figured no problem, I'll just order another one from someone. I checked with Western Honda, Consolidated Motor Spares and Honda Parts house and their diagrams even don't show an O ring (my shop manual does). So how critical is this O Ring? Can I just find one that's the proper diameter and use it?

The good new is that I found multiple sources for the speedo cable I need to replace!

John
John

1976 Honda GL1000 LTD
2001 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R
flyin900
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by flyin900 »

John, I did a full nut and bolt restoration on a 1976 GL1000 and there was no O ring that I recall on any of the front brake rotors on either side. I do see the part noted in the Honda shop manual and a best guess is it would be inside the hub near the right bearing and not on the outside by the rotor. The fiche only shows the packing item #10 on that side and that is a metal spacer that sits inside the speedo drive gear housing behind the drive gear.
Current Bikes:

1966 CL77 - Honda 305cc - Dual purpose - "Gentleman's Scrambler" was a period moniker.
1967 CL175K0 - Low production number with #802 engine serial- winter 2019/2020 full restoration.
1972 CB350F - Baby Four with low mileage - Cosmetic refresh to the next level 2021/2022.
1978 CB550K - Very original bike with only 7499 Km. from new - light cleanup and refresh done.
1983 CB1100F - Canadian model - DOHC Supersport in pristine low kilometre condition from new.
1984 GL1200 - Standard model in showroom condition - two owner bike from new.
1984 CX650E - Restored summer 2017 - a rare Eurosport model - excellent one owner bike.
JohnnyNumbers
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by JohnnyNumbers »

flyin900 wrote:John, I did a full nut and bolt restoration on a 1976 GL1000 and there was no O ring that I recall on any of the front brake rotors on either side. I do see the part noted in the Honda shop manual and a best guess is it would be inside the hub near the right bearing and not on the outside by the rotor. The fiche only shows the packing item #10 on that side and that is a metal spacer that sits inside the speedo drive gear housing behind the drive gear.
Thanks for the info Flyin. I'm not going to worry about the O-Ring, it's time to move forward.
John

1976 Honda GL1000 LTD
2001 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

dbtroudy wrote:Welcome to the LTD owners club. Just curious to find out what your serial number is. My LTD is #859 in the sequence.

Don
I will have to look when I get home
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
JohnnyNumbers
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by JohnnyNumbers »

This Saturday Desert Refugee and I are going to replace the timing belts and remove the carbs. Since I wanted to replace the radiator hoses I removed the radiator to make it a little easier. I removed the timing belt covers tonight and it looks pretty good under the covers. If I hadn't heard it so many times on this forum about replacing the belts, I might tempted to leave the belts alone but I know better than that.

I do have a question though. I'm rebuilding the rear brake caliper and I was able to pop out the brake piston that is on the large section of the rear brake. Unfortunately I'm not having much luck with the smaller piece. There is a brake fluid passage that letting the air escape, so I can't get any pressure behind the piston. I thought about reassembling the caliper but I figure the piston that's already popped out would pop out and block the other one. Any suggestions for the mechanically challenged would be greatly appreciated!
Attachments
Timing Belts.JPG
Timing Belts.JPG (88.26 KiB) Viewed 240 times
John

1976 Honda GL1000 LTD
2001 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

if the seal is still there, place a small piece of wood and clamp it to the seal to close off the leak
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
JohnnyNumbers
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by JohnnyNumbers »

Thanks for the suggestion. The wood didn't seal well enough but a couple pair of nitrile gloves did the trick. Thanks again!
John

1976 Honda GL1000 LTD
2001 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R
dbtroudy
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by dbtroudy »

When you change out your timing belts and replace them, make sure you follow Octane's shop talk guide for setting up the belts. page/ST Being off just one tooth on the belt will play havoc with your valves.

Don
DBTroudy
Fullerton, CA

'03 GW GL1800 Yellow
'76 GW GL1000 LTD #859
'75 CB200T
JohnnyNumbers
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by JohnnyNumbers »

Will do. I've reviewed it a few times and Desertrefugee has changed his timing belts a couple of times as well.
John

1976 Honda GL1000 LTD
2001 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Ok, here's the deal:

I'm gonna go on record here as saying you could search the globe and not find a finer and more pristine, original LTD. This motorcycle is flawless. A survivor of the highest order. I felt privileged to lay hands on the machine today. In fact, I barely even got my hands dirty. THAT'S how nice it is.

Congrats for landing such a fine example, John.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.