It's started but has no name yet!

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

OCR
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: It's started but has no name yet!

Post by OCR »

Met up with DrVMAX on Saturday and gave him the fairing and mount bracket.
We had a nice lunch at Cracker Barrel and a fairly long visit. I can see that when we finish up the projects that it will be necessary to get together with some other locals and have rides and other events just to show off!
79 CX500custom
76LTD
77Goldwing
2001 Polaris Scrambler 500 4X4

Secretary Caroline Lodge 681
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

OCR wrote:Met up with DrVMAX on Saturday and gave him the fairing and mount bracket.
We had a nice lunch at Cracker Barrel and a fairly long visit. I can see that when we finish up the projects that it will be necessary to get together with some other locals and have rides and other events just to show off!
That's great, nothing like a friend with a similar interest. action1
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
OCR
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by OCR »

Finally found the seat mount bolts (hiding right next to the helmet locks) and got the seat and backrest/luggage rack off.
I was talking to the service tech at the local Honda dealer and have come to the conclusion that the controls (or most of them) are transfers from a Shadow as the GW did not use a rectangular master cylinder on a 77. I am in need of a sight glass for the MC unless I change it back to the stock round MC.

If someone wants the backrest/rack, I will trade it for a headlight bucket and ears and signals.
79 CX500custom
76LTD
77Goldwing

OCR
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by OCR »

Did a little more tinkering and worked the plug caps off.
The left side pair came off relatively easily but the right pair were a stinker.
There was so much rust/corrosion in one cap that the screw tip of the plug broke off. Guess I'll be needing to replace the caps when the time comes.
Now to clean out the plug recesses before removing them to test the motor for free turning and compression before going any further.
79 CX500custom
76LTD
77Goldwing

raiddrten
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by raiddrten »

The compression on mine was not very good at all, but then some Deep Creep setting for a time helped a little. Once I adjusted the valves, all four cylinders came in nice and even at 150 each. Very surprising to a newbie like me.