Thinking about a project

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Brian123
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Thinking about a project

Post by Brian123 »

So, I’m new to the forum, and I’ve been lurking on it for a while. I’m thinking about getting into a project, but I’d like to strip down either my 89 GL1500 or a yet-to-be-purchased GL1800. Only thing is, I haven’t seen any examples of anyone else doing that. It seems to be just older 1100’s and such. Is it just because they are newer bikes, and the style just isn’t right? Or is there a more technical reason? Are the electronics too much to deal with? I really like the idea of getting one of those bikes naked. I’ve ridden an 1800 once or twice and the power is incredible. I just can’t imagine how much fun it would be if it had none of the extra weight holding it back. Any ideas????
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Re: Thinking about a project

Post by robin1731 »

It's been done a few times. The big hurdle is all the plastic and what Honda hid underneath. You have to find a way to hide yourself. Look in either the custom section or project section and there is a 1500 being done right now. Don't remember the thread name or the member doing it off the top of my head. He is using a faux shelter from either a 1000 or an 1100 modified to fit.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

I have a 1500 sitting on my patio waiting its' turn (maybe) but one thing that is really intimidating about the later bikes is the incredible complexity of the wiring harness. It makes my knees shake just to look at it.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=51412&start=1605

Start at page 108, but if you need to be humbled about your machining skills, read the rest.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi