1983 GL1100 Aspencade

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

mmemmer5
Lead Member
Lead Member

1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Post by mmemmer5 »

Goldwing repair.jpg
Goldwing repair.jpg (117.63 KiB) Viewed 292 times
I bought this bike three years ago, it only had 50,000 miles, was sitting in a garage for 7 years. Replaced the gas lines, cleaned the tank and ran great for about a year! Last year the damper plate on the clutch exploded. Battery always drained, I think all the push starts took a toll on the clutch. Replaced clutch without a damper plate, just added two plates in its place, one in the middle and one on the end. Clutch squeals a bit (plate friction on the basket?) when cold but is fine after it warms up. This spring the starter clutch stopped working. Wheeee! I got tired of push starting this big ole bike, so I pulled the engine. Here it goes...
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Re: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Post by rcmatt007 »

I don't think these clutches were really made for push starts... but this should be fun to watch
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jonesz »

Just a short note on the battery drain situation. The 83 Aspencade I bought had a battery draw unless the ignition key was depressed just right when turning the bike off. Was noticeable due to the volt meter not going back to zero. Dealer I bought it from told me about the problem and said they had tried to trace the bleed but no luck When I stripped my bike I had to use an ignition switch from an 82 Aspy as the one from the 83 no longer fit. Problem solved, no battery draw down since. Keep this in mind when you get her back together.
Jonesz

1983 GL1100 Aspencade named "Freki" currently undergoing change to a standard. Sold
1999 Valkyrie CT 1500 goes by the moniker "Valerie"
1978 Gl1000 "Loki" new project going to be a Cafe Convertible
1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

Jonesz wrote:Just a short note on the battery drain situation. The 83 Aspencade I bought had a battery draw unless the ignition key was depressed just right when turning the bike off. Was noticeable due to the volt meter not going back to zero. Dealer I bought it from told me about the problem and said they had tried to trace the bleed but no luck When I stripped my bike I had to use an ignition switch from an 82 Aspy as the one from the 83 no longer fit. Problem solved, no battery draw down since. Keep this in mind when you get her back together.
That would be nice if he could fix his problem with only an ignition change.
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
mmemmer5
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by mmemmer5 »

Okay it took three months but I am back on two wheels! (Okay its not a "Naked Goldwing" but the cracks and scratches on the luggage and windjammer are bearable and decided to keep them on. I am slowly becoming a "Bagger":). I was too intimidated to buy the lengthy carburetor manual and rebuild the leaky carbs myself so I took them to a local motorcycle shop. This was a big mistake! After three failed attempts by my local mechanic, I took the carbs off for a fourth time and sent them to Pistol Pete. I see that he has quite a positive reputation on these Goldwing sites and now I know why. I sent my carbs to him and I received them back within two weeks. The bike started immediately and no leaks! I wish that I would have went to him first. In the past three months: Along with the newly rebuilt carbs I have new starter clutch rollers, stator, rebuilt heads, timing belts, starter water pump, clutch, tires, brakes, thermostat (with manual fan switch) and reconditioned gas tank. I think I have put about $2000 into parts and labor.
Attachments
Profile Right.jpg
Profile Right.jpg (184.42 KiB) Viewed 195 times
mmemmer5
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by mmemmer5 »

rcmatt007 wrote:I don't think these clutches were really made for push starts... but this should be fun to watch
I think all the push starts are what messed up my damper plate in my clutch pack in the first place. What a mess that was to clean up. Found rivets in the oil sump.