The seat was another chore. I found a 1977 seat with the little bump that was on the ‘77s and pulled the old cover off and cleaned up and repainted the bottom of the seat. Next trying to find an exact cover replacement took awhile. The first one I bought had to be sent back because it definitely wouldn’t fit, I think because of the added bump in the 77 seat. I finally got one that was close and I had an upholsterer put it on because I could see it would be difficult at best. Tight but it doesn’t look bad.
The gas and temperature gauges didn’t work and as typical with these older bikes and replaced 7v Regulator. I got one from Murray's Carbs at a very good price, 1/2 what the other option was, $20 +$3 shipping. It is professionally packed into a plastic case with epoxy or something similar sealing it all up. Good price, fast shipping, and better yet I didn't have to do a bunch of soldering and re-manufacturing the old one. I just had to change the terminal ends and it plugged right into the electrical system of the bike. I had a couple of questions after I got the regulator and Murray was quite responsive in answering me.
I also cleaned up the Tach and Speedometer, stripped and sanded the painted areas and then repainted. I had a devil of a time getting a good coat without it the paint running, blistering, or having fish eyes. I think I painted and stripped it 4-5 times anyway before I got something that was acceptable. A royal pain at the time.
The horn was pathetic so I replaced it with Ford horn, nice and loud. I did add a relay to take of the current draw of the horn and it seems to work fine. I also added a 30 Amp automatic Circuit Breaker to replace the dogbone fuse.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1977 GL1000 -Project Completed-
2001 GL1800 Ilusion Red