I thought initially the rear fenders on the early wings were all the same but on closer examination I found a replacement I bought on eBay was for a 78 or 79 so that meant it had different taillight bracket holes than a 1977. The chrome was in good shape so I hunted down a tail light bracket that fit the replacement fender. I got the rear fender on and cleaned up and polish/painted the taillight assembly. Sometime after mounting my fender and taillight, I went down to see Toehead in Mass and he gave me a much better looking taillight. So I removed the old one and used his. Putting a part on and then having to remove it later seemed to be typical for me because some things I just wanted to get it put back on and didn’t always think of the integration of that part in the big picture.
I digress, back to the fender area. I also picked up a used grab bar locally for $60 and thought it was a good deal until I found aftermarket ones on line about the same price.
Mounting the grab bar and identifying the right directionals for the bar was interesting. The bolts I had for the directionals had a hole down through the middle for the wires to go through but the bolts were a little too short to mount the lights. Looking back I think the mounts were wrong maybe even the lights and they probably came off the old fairing that came with the bike. The short bolts I discovered were not metric bolts but 7/16” x 13 SAE bolts. I then went to a local farm store, found 7/16 x 2 ½” Grade 5 bolts and proceeded to drill holes down through the centers. So the directional light mounting on the grab bar isn’t original but only one of you experts would probably know that. It took some wire identification and rewiring here but it was easy enough. Remember the bike had no working lights when I got it and the harness was in poor shape so I spent a lot of time identifying wires and talking to myself to make sure I wired it up correctly. Fortunately the few wires in the rear were much easier to repair/replace than the front of the bike. During the earlier years of this project I got a decent wiring harness and original real wheel from Sunnbobb. That wiring harness was in pretty good shape except for some cut wires in the headlight section so that helped hooking thinks up.
I decided to leave the rear wheel off for awhile longer at this point because I had to rebuild all of the brakes, install a new clutch cable, and adjust the clutch. Put on a Motion Pro Clutch Cable......make sure you lube them before putting them on, they aren't lubed from the factory very well. I finally got oil down through it after a few days!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.