My very first 1977 Honda GL1000 =D

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: My very first 1977 Honda GL1000 =D

Post by desertrefugee »

Before condemning your current frame, nail down exactly what you've got first. Lots of folks have salvage rusty frames with minimal repair work. May have to find or become a welder...

I've admittedly been lucky enough not to have dealt with bike frame rust, so I'm no authority on identifying it, but your pics did not (for me) indict the frame. I see surface involvement, but no subterranean bubbling. (Talking about the center stand cross brace) Again, I may be blind.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
aaronrecine
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by aaronrecine »

desertrefugee wrote:Before condemning your current frame, nail down exactly what you've got first. Lots of folks have salvage rusty frames with minimal repair work. May have to find or become a welder...

I've admittedly been lucky enough not to have dealt with bike frame rust, so I'm no authority on identifying it, but your pics did not (for me) indict the frame. I see surface involvement, but no subterranean bubbling. (Talking about the center stand cross brace) Again, I may be blind.
Absolutely, but I found that the steering stop has been welded back onto the frame, and possibly the head, meaning the frame has had some pretty catastrophic force applied to it. I had noticed the paint was cracked as well :/

I took some screenshots of a video I never posted which show the rust before removing it which I have posted below. Thanks again for chiming in. I'm going to pickup a wire wheel on the way home today and give everything a nice brushing.

Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

It's hard to tell from the pics, but I will say that Mother Honda's factory welds on these bikes really sucked. I think a monkey could have done a better job. Just saying...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
aaronrecine
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by aaronrecine »

Track T 2411 wrote:It's hard to tell from the pics, but I will say that Mother Honda's factory welds on these bikes really sucked. I think a monkey could have done a better job. Just saying...
hahaha, i just spit out my coffee lolol I was wondering to myself if it was possible that these we're just really poor welds from the factory.
aaronrecine
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by aaronrecine »

Here are some close ups from this morning of the steering stop. If these are factory welds then its good news, but surprising that Honda made them so poor. I've been looking at pictures of frames on ebay and it seems someone may have added different stops to decrease the overall travel. As far as the head being rewelded, all the frames on ebay look the same as mine so I think I'm in the clear there.

The master tech at my work told me after I wire brush the whole frame, I could take a very strong magnet and run it along the frame. If it drastically loses its magnetism that could be an indication of a very rusted section of the frame. Told me its an old school trick for detecting bondo on a classic car before purchase.

Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

That magnet idea is great .... first time I’ve heard it.

Gord action1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

RAT wrote:That magnet idea is great .... first time I’ve heard it.

Gord action1

It works when checking for bondo. They make a magnet just for that you use that has a measuring stick on it. But using one just on metal alone to check for the thickness I wouldn't think would be very accurate.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

robin1731 wrote:

Gord action1

It works when checking for bondo. They make a magnet just for that you use that has a measuring stick on it. But using one just on metal alone to check for the thickness I wouldn't think would be very accurate.

I agree. Even rusty metal will attract a magnet. I have used a 'reach tool' magnet to help clean out metal flakes from the removable frame member, though. It's shielded, so it doesn't stick to the frame, yet picks up the loose stuff pretty well.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
aaronrecine
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by aaronrecine »

Track T 2411 wrote:
robin1731 wrote:

Gord action1

I agree. Even rusty metal will attract a magnet. I have used a 'reach tool' magnet to help clean out metal flakes from the removable frame member, though. It's shielded, so it doesn't stick to the frame, yet picks up the loose stuff pretty well.
That is a great idea.
aaronrecine
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by aaronrecine »

Hello everyone! Hope all of you are enjoying this weekend wrenchin or ridin!

I decided to take the center stand frame section down to bare metal to see if anything had rusted all the way through from the inside.

The good news is I was able to take this section all the way down to the metal with some Jasco, Chemtool, wire wheel and my trusty drill without any remaining rust. The rust remaining in some of the pictures is flash rust. I later put pb blaster on it to prevent the rusting.

The bad news is the frame looks to be bent. I'm not sure if it is supposed to be a little angled, or if this section is supposed to be dead straight.

The GREAT news is I found another 1977 GL1000 on craigslist in FANTASTIC condition for nearly nothing AND it is getting delivered to my house. Total cost? $350. Why so low? According to the seller the engine is seized. I already gave the seller a deposit so it is a nearly guaranteed deal. Here is what the listing said...

"This beautiful beast has been gathering dust on the side of the house for about a year. She's got about 50k miles, and a seized motor according to Don at Wing Nut in Fairfield. Carbs were gone through about 500 miles ago by Don. Seat is a Hondaline remake I believe, great condition.

Comes with the bike, the stock riser bars, a clean title (not sure about DMV fees though), and a Hondaline rack with seat-back and hard side cases for $350 or your best offer. Feel free and lowball me, just get the thing out of my possession. I'll even drop it off in the Bay Area if you're nice, I've got a truck and ramp."

And here are the pictures from the listing...

An engine swap would take less than an afternoon and I could possibly be up and running! Regardless, I have a very good chance at having both a black and a red 1977 Honda GL1000 haha.

Here are some more pictures of the work I did on my frame. I look forward to all your input :)
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Hmm. Although this red one appears to be a way better starting point, you're getting so far so fast on this one, I can't help but be a little disappointed. However, the "locked" motor may not be so bad. If one looking like your current bike was advertised with a locked motor, I'd maybe suspect some moisture intrusion that could be freed up with solvent to make a runner. Since this one looks pretty nice, I'd think that's less likely, but you could get lucky. Either way, as you noted, an engine swap makes what you've been doing look easy...

...plus, it's got the nice automotive spin on oil filter adapter.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

And nice work on the frame. You might have a bend, but rot is definitely not a problem...except maybe on that center stand. I'd say if you can muscle the bike onto the stand, I'd leave it alone.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I’m guessing (wild guess) that is not factory. It looks to me like someone repaired it, and has been documented here, without a jig, you have to guess at the placement. They could have gotten it a little further forward, as others have.
I would bet it is difficult to rock forward off the ctr stand.

If it was me, I’d remove the ctr stand and call it good.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Oh, and congratulations on MBS.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

I'd have to check some to see if they are straight or not. Almost makes you wonder if someone transported the bike for some distance with it on the center stand. Not a good idea although I've seen it. I've seen guys tie bikes down while on the side stand too. Also not a good idea.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder