My New Project for When I get Home

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Mike-C
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Re: My New Project for When I get Home

Post by Mike-C »

Just a quick update on the project, the seat supports have been welded in place, and the exhaust is tacked up. New swing arm bearings and a repaint of the aft end of the frame . . .
Mike Coleman
'84 Wing-Lite (ex-Aspencade)
'84 un-Terstate
'84 Standard (as yet un-named)
Attachments
OCT 13 2018 PIPES ETC (3).JPG
OCT 13 2018 PIPES ETC (3).JPG (131.39 KiB) Viewed 257 times
Mike Coleman
North Lancaster, Ontario
Canada
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

looking great..
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Mike-C
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Mike-C »

Good Evening Gents;
I am slowly making progress, a Yamaha V-Star front wheel (spoked with twin discs) and it now wears a RH caliper. I'll plumb the brake lines tomorrow. I took advantage of the fact that my wife is away visiting her Mother in Vermont to bring the frone wheel inside where it is warm for balancing. Stick wheel weights do not like the cold. Warm wheel, warm weights, good job.
Mike Coleman
'84 un-Terstate
'96 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 (The Vulcanator)
Attachments
JAN 03 2018 FRONT BRAKE (3).JPG
JAN 03 2018 FRONT BRAKE (3).JPG (109.77 KiB) Viewed 230 times
JAN 03 2018 WHEEL BALANCE (4).JPG
JAN 03 2018 WHEEL BALANCE (4).JPG (104.67 KiB) Viewed 229 times
Mike Coleman
North Lancaster, Ontario
Canada
05c50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 05c50 »

I was just reading through this thread and wondering if you've ridden it yet. The reason I ask is that the 1500D had a common problem with second gear. The dogs would wear and it would jump out of second on the 1 -2 shift. The problem was fixed when they started producing the 5 speed in the 1500. I've repaired three of them and the parts are NLA from Kawasaki and it's getting hard to find the used parts. Some people blamed the neutral finder, but I tend to think that it was related to gears that weren't hardened properly. Did you get the oil pump gear replaced? Installing the steel factory replacement is an engine out/split case operation. I have quite a bit of experience with the big Vulcans, if I can help, let me know.

.............Paul
I prefer to ride my wing naked,thank you
My wife asked me "How many bikes does one man need?" My answer "Uhhh.just one more"
75 Goldwing
78 Goldwing
77 CB750a
77 CB550f
80 CB650c
05 Boule C50
Mike-C
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Mike-C »

Hi Paul;
Thanks for the tips. In a previous post fellow Winger 'Frontrunner' advised me about the oil pump gear and pointed me in the direction of Bob Oglesby aka 'The Judge' and his steel oil pump gear mod. I bought one of his kits and have installed it. I will check the 2nd gear problem when I get it on the road in the spring and deal with it then. I wonder if the gears are reworkable? When I was racing superbikes back in the '70's Kawasaki Z-1's had a problem jumping out of 3rd gear, which was fixed by back cutting the gear and its mate.
I have been reading about the 4 speed / 5 speed gearboxes and I think I read that the 5 speed engine is a drop in to my existing frame, am I right?
Mike Coleman
'84 un-Terstate
Mike Coleman
North Lancaster, Ontario
Canada
05c50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 05c50 »

Mike-C wrote:Hi Paul;
Thanks for the tips. I wonder if the gears are reworkable? When I was racing superbikes back in the '70's Kawasaki Z-1's had a problem jumping out of 3rd gear, which was fixed by back cutting the gear and its mate.
I have been reading about the 4 speed / 5 speed gearboxes and I think I read that the 5 speed engine is a drop in to my existing frame, am I right?
I have a complete set of transmission gears here and had considered having them reworked (back cut), but they would need to be hardened to prevent it from happening again. I just never got around to it. The 4 speed and 5 speed engine assemblies are very similar and require very little modifications to drop in.

........Paul
My wife asked me "How many bikes does one man need?" My answer "Uhhh.just one more"
75 Goldwing
78 Goldwing
77 CB750a
77 CB550f
80 CB650c
05 Boule C50
Mike-C
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Mike-C »

Hi Paul;
HMMMM, 5 speed engine swap? 1600CCs ? HMMMMM, my 'imagin-eering' mind is starting to tick over. I spent the afternoon puttering about on the beast. Both front calipers are on and I measured up the brake line requirements for braided stainless lines.
Mike Coleman
'84 un-Terstate
Mike Coleman
North Lancaster, Ontario
Canada
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

05c50 wrote:snip...………….
I have a complete set of transmission gears here and had considered having them reworked (back cut), but they would need to be hardened to prevent it from happening again.
........Paul
Why? We backcut gears all the tiome in a race engine and don't harden the gears/dogs/slots. I've made hundreds of passes, on a single transmission, with an air shifter and don't wear them out. You would have a real hard time hrting them on a street engine.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Mike-C
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Mike-C »

Gents, thanks for the advice, I'll have to check it out when the snow is gone (in about 4 months).
Mike Coleman
'84 un-Terstate
Mike Coleman
North Lancaster, Ontario
Canada
05c50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 05c50 »

robin1731 wrote:
Why? We backcut gears all the tiome in a race engine and don't harden the gears/dogs/slots. I've made hundreds of passes, on a single transmission, with an air shifter and don't wear them out. You would have a real hard time hrting them on a street engine.
I'd like to believe that, but I have to wonder why they went bad in the first place. There's quite a bit of wear on the dogs considering that they didn't have "hundreds of passes, on a single transmission, with an air shifter"

......Paul
75 Goldwing
78 Goldwing
77 CB750a
77 CB550f
80 CB650c
05 Boule C50
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

05c50 wrote:
robin1731 wrote:
I'd like to believe that, but I have to wonder why they went bad in the first place. There's quite a bit of wear on the dogs considering that they didn't have "hundreds of passes, on a single transmission, with an air shifter"

......Paul
It only takes a few times missing a gear for the dogs to start getting rounded off. Quick shifts that don't engage the dogs completely can contribute to it also. Most times it is second gear. But others can get rounded too. Most any transmission will have some wear. Continued missed shifts make it worse.

You don't have to take my word for it. I've only been around back cut transmissions since the late 70's. Contact the places that do it for race bikes and see if they do anything after cutting them.

1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
05c50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 05c50 »

Robin, I probably didn't make myself clear, I wasn't doubting your knowledge of racing motorcycles or motorcycles in general. I'm well aware of back cutting procedures and also of how the wear on the dogs happen. I'm also aware that you are very familar with the motorcycles that are regularly raced, but perhaps you haven't had much opportunity to experience the problem with this particular transmission. The VN1500D was an animal by itself and a second gear problem was engineered into it. So much so that Kawasaki redesigned the second gear and related gears halfway through the first production year. The proper repair was to install the later gears to bring it up to standard. This can be verified by a look at the parts cataloque, where it calls out before and after vin numbers for the gears needed for the update. My suggestion for hardening the gears after machining was an attempt to overcome the short comings of the original gears as the replacement parts are NLA. In my post, I was giving my thoughts on the subject to a question that MikeC had asked. And with that, I yield to the experts.

...........Paul
75 Goldwing
78 Goldwing
77 CB750a
77 CB550f
80 CB650c
05 Boule C50
Mike-C
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Mike-C »

Good Day Gents;
Paul, so I might not have a problem at all if I have a later production bike? My VIN is JKBVNAD14TA047522, is it possible for you to check it? I checked Partzilla and it looks like I have to get the engine S/N as well or am I wrong?
Mike Coleman
'84 un-Terstate
Mike Coleman
North Lancaster, Ontario
Canada
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

anim-cheers1
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
Mike-C
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Mike-C »

Good Evening Gents
My engine number is T50AE034764, and per Partzila part of the early model run. So it will come down to the big ol road test in the spring.
Mike Coleman
'84 un-Terstate
Mike Coleman
North Lancaster, Ontario
Canada