Stripping an 83 Aspencade

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Stripping an 83 Aspencade

Post by Jonesz »

Hey all I am having a lot of success (so far have turn indicators-high beam indicator-oil pressure-gauge illumination lights-neutral light-fuel gauge) in hooking up the wiring while attempting to make 82 Aspencade analogue gauges function on an 83 Aspencade. Hard to locate 82 or 83 aspencade schematics. Biggest hang up so far is getting the temperature gauge to function.
1. It appears that the sender for an 83 aspencade is different (two wire compared to one wire)from all other Gl1100's
2. I was hoping that the sender would still function.
3. It appears that the temp gauge should have a green with black tracer wire and a green with blue tracer wire
4. My 83 aspencade harness has a green with black tracer available.
5. I cannot locate any wire on the 82 Aspencade gauges that correspond ie. no green with black tracer. There is a green with blue tracer and I connected these. How does the 82 power up its temp gauge?
6. Does anyone have a schematic for the two aspencades that show what wires should be connected? or have any thoughts on how I should proceed.

Sorry for the ramble any and all help greatly appreciated.

Hope this makes sense, kind of hard to explain but this is driving me nuts.
Jonesz

1983 GL1100 Aspencade named "Freki" currently undergoing change to a standard. Sold
1999 Valkyrie CT 1500 goes by the moniker "Valerie"
1978 Gl1000 "Loki" new project going to be a Cafe Convertible
1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

Jonesz wrote:Hey all I am having a lot of success (so far have turn indicators-high beam indicator-oil pressure-gauge illumination lights-neutral light-fuel gauge) in hooking up the wiring while attempting to make 82 Aspencade analogue gauges function on an 83 Aspencade. Hard to locate 82 or 83 aspencade schematics. Biggest hang up so far is getting the temperature gauge to function.
1. It appears that the sender for an 83 aspencade is different (two wire compared to one wire)from all other Gl1100's
2. I was hoping that the sender would still function.
3. It appears that the temp gauge should have a green with black tracer wire and a green with blue tracer wire
4. My 83 aspencade harness has a green with black tracer available.
5. I cannot locate any wire on the 82 Aspencade gauges that correspond ie. no green with black tracer. There is a green with blue tracer and I connected these. How does the 82 power up its temp gauge?
6. Does anyone have a schematic for the two aspencades that show what wires should be connected? or have any thoughts on how I should proceed.

Sorry for the ramble any and all help greatly appreciated.

Hope this makes sense, kind of hard to explain but this is driving me nuts.
Try these; https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... 52&t=43690

I found these is the REFERENCE DIAGRAMS in the TECHNICAL section.
(Just an FYI, I had to use the one for 1982 Interstate for my '82 Aspencade and several of the wires were different colors, but it worked enough to get me through the confusion....I think)
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jonesz »

Thanx for that Kevin. I have tried to mesh the different manuals with my 83 Aspencade wiring harness and that has helped me in some instances. I really think my problem with the temperature gauge may be the two different types of senders. Most are one wire, the one on my 83 is two wire. What I can't figure out is that when I look at the other wiring diagrams they show a Green with black tracer wire connecting to the temp gauge. Mu 83 aspencade has a green with black tracer wire available in the harness but for the life of me I can't locate a wire on the 82 aspencade gauges that I can connect it to. Hope that makes sense. I am assuming that the 82 aspencade gauge set is supposed to or does have a green wire with blacktracer??
Jonesz

1983 GL1100 Aspencade named "Freki" currently undergoing change to a standard. Sold
1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
flimmy
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Post by flimmy »

I just picked up an 83 Aspencade and was thinking about doing what your doing but maybe a little more on the custom side. Why not keep the digital gauges ? I was thinking of going with this small fairing to hide most the gauges and some wiring.

http://4into1.com/emgo-venom-fairing/
Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jonesz »

Hi Flimmy, You will save yourself a lot of headaches doing it the way you suggest. My thought was to get my bike looking as close to a Standard as possible so went the other direction. I agree that the digital set-up is nice too but not for me, the digital set up does all the right things but I am an old timer and wanted an old timer bike. Your way you get to keep your compressor if you wish along with not having to change out speedo cable, upper triple tree plate, ignition, tach drive etc. I say do it if that is what you want, but like my friend says "it is only money". but it does add up!
Jonesz

1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jonesz »

IMG_0145.JPG
IMG_0145.JPG (129.12 KiB) Viewed 587 times
The "New to me" rear grab rail from Iowa arrived today along with some other goodies from all over. Really like the look after removing the trunk rack and saddlebag stays. My friend machined aluminum spacers for the rear mounting bolts while we had a couple of drams. Also got a tail light assembly with the OEM tail lights. Will post when it is installed. Told my buddy today that I am going to have the only 4 thousand dollar 2 thousand dollar bike in town!
Jonesz

1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jonesz »

OEM Standard Tail light and turn signals mounted. Little bit of wiring had to be looked after but everything working like it should. Waiting for headlight ears to arrive and then hopefully get the front end set up properly.
Attachments
IMG_0162.JPG
IMG_0162.JPG (149.63 KiB) Viewed 568 times
Jonesz

1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jonesz »

IMG_0173.JPG
IMG_0173.JPG (149.6 KiB) Viewed 539 times
Still making progress with my 83 Aspencade strip. Got my headlight and the front turn signals from a firm called Fortnine in Canada. Fast service and free shipping over $49. The lights are made by or sold under the name Bikemaster. The headlight appears to be well made and good quality chromed metal. The turn signals are by the same Bikemaster and are OEM replacements item 25-1095. They are identical to the rear OEM ones I had previously mounted. Unfortunately someone had cut the turn signal light mounting tabs off the mounting ears that I had purchased on Ebay. My good friend and fellow biker Ian spent this aft manufacturing new tabs,threading them, making shoulder bolts and welding the tabs to the ears. No damage to the chrome finish on the ears. Thank-you for an excellent job. Hopefully in the next few days the front end lighting and gauge wiring will be finished. The weather has improved to where a ride is now in order.
Attachments
IMG_0170.JPG
IMG_0170.JPG (119.72 KiB) Viewed 539 times
Jonesz

1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jonesz »

IMG_0176.JPG
IMG_0176.JPG (151.16 KiB) Viewed 514 times
Today my buddy and I (okay mostly he) cleaned up the brake calipers & put some lube on them. The ears have been installed with OEM look alike turn signals, next step to get the wiring spaghetti into the headlight bucket and go for a ride!
Attachments
IMG_0177.JPG
IMG_0177.JPG (139.23 KiB) Viewed 514 times
Jonesz

1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
UK_Andy
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by UK_Andy »

Don't wanna hijack but I have a question regarding the fuel pump. If he needs to get one for a manual nacho, can i be replaced with something if you have a digital tacho?
Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jonesz »

UK_Andy wrote:Don't wanna hijack but I have a question regarding the fuel pump. If he needs to get one for a manual nacho, can i be replaced with something if you have a digital tacho?
Don't quite understand the question but in my case the 83 Aspencade was originally digital (dash pod and tach sensor/fuel pump assembly)) When I switched over to the analogue gauges from an 82 I also had to switch the fuel pump set-up from that type of bike. In my case the same 82 parts bike was the donor but the drive could have come from any Gl1100 (not including the 83 aspencade). You would also require an analogue tach drive cable.
Jonesz

1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
UK_Andy
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by UK_Andy »

Jonesz wrote:
UK_Andy wrote:Don't wanna hijack but I have a question regarding the fuel pump. If he needs to get one for a manual nacho, can i be replaced with something if you have a digital tacho?
Don't quite understand the question but in my case the 83 Aspencade was originally digital (dash pod and tach sensor/fuel pump assembly)) When I switched over to the analogue gauges from an 82 I also had to switch the fuel pump set-up from that type of bike. In my case the same 82 parts bike was the donor but the drive could have come from any Gl1100 (not including the 83 aspencade). You would also require an analogue tach drive cable.
I have an 83 interstate with a manual driven tach from the fuel pump but Iv replace my clocks with digital. Wondered if i could it with the aspencade part
Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jonesz »

I don't really know but am assuming that you could switch to the digital fuel pump/tach drive. When I did the exact opposite the procedure was a bolt on fix. No other modification was needed other than replacing the fuel pump/tach drive unit and cable. If you have access to a digital fuel pump/tach drive unit I recommend bolting it on and trying it out. Sorry I cannot give any better advice as I am not a mechanical guru. I still think you will find that it is a swap out situation and then your digital tach will be good to go.
Jonesz

1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
PyramidBlaster
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by PyramidBlaster »

Maybe I missed it, but where did you get your Fork ears? I'm going to be stripping an '83 Interstate soon...Thx

Great thread, btw...
Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jonesz »

Just watched Ebay off and on and these ones came up for 75 US dollars. They were from a used bike part dealer in Salem Oregon. Have seen others either in crappy shape or more $. But like I say the turnsignal mounting tabs had been sawed off and I suspect that you have to watch for that when the parts come off an earlier bike that someone has mounted a fairing on. I just ground out the stubs of the old tabs which had been welded in at the factory and then a friend carefully welded in the newly fabricated tabs (made from some 1/4 " X 1/2" mild steel so that the chrome finish was not damaged on the outside.The new tabs will never be seen after the turn signals are mounted' They look gr8 if you are going for that OEM look. If not there are other ears that do the trick on Ebay. My friend did an 82 and used those. I am a bit (OK a bunch anal) and wanted it to look correct. BTW don't know what you are going for in the headlight bucket dept but I bought an OEM look alike made/dist by Bikemaster as mentioned earlier. Just in the process of mounting it and it looks just like an original Honda bucket. Really like it. Any other info you need just ask.
Jonesz
Jonesz

1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold