PADDYWACKER YOGA

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Re: PADDYWACKER YOGA

Post by Sundance »

raiddrten wrote:So is the stuff in the coke bottle coke or old gas?????
All four are filled with old gas. When held up to the light, the gas has more transparency than coke, but yes, it is hard to see a difference from this perspective. It did not smell at all like gas. It wasn't a gross smell, just plain flat without a gas 'fume'.
type1 https://www.facebook.com/One.Ton.Ron action1
1984 KZ1000 P dresser, SOLD. anim-cheers1
"Imagination is a prerequisite for knowledge.
The artifact is needed to comprehend." :arrow: Sundance. :flamer :flamer
raiddrten
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by raiddrten »

I have cleaned a few carbs-some with old and some with 10% ethanol. Give me the old varnishy [is that a word?] gas any day. Lacquer thinner, the main ingredient in carb cleaner, will dissolve the old crap into complete solution. The rotten smell goes with it, but still easier than dealing with the grey grainy stuff that settles out of the ethanol stuff. The dark color usually goes with non-ethanol gas, so I hope that it is what you have.

The ethanol gas if left sitting long enough seems to just wreck the zinc in the carb bowls and is much worse IMO. I am probably preaching to the choir here, but I think you need to pull those carbs. Gotta be tough without a garage. I have never pulled a set as my 'wing had the carbs off when I got it. That is not a good thing either because I wonder to what level OEM parts still exist on the bike. Gonna order Mike Nixon's book to understand things better and getting the book because I like manuals better than videos.

I wonder if you could get at the drain bowl screws to remove one and discover what may be inside that carb? Better yet would be taking off the bowl itself but I doubt that it is possible if they have sat for some time. I had to heat the bowl screws with a steam cleaner to get the drain screws out out.
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

Mr. Sundance,

I like your thread, I like your bike and I admire your persistence at working on it.

Thank you for serving our country, while you were on the Nimitz, my Uncle Dan was on the Enterprise.

Please continue with your work and photos, I look forward to seeing/reading more.

Besides Steppenwolf, what else do you listen to (if any) while working on your bike? Tom Petty keeps me going.

Kev
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

BikeMaine wrote:Mr. Sundance,

I like your thread, I like your bike and I admire your persistence at working on it.

Thank you for serving our country, while you were on the Nimitz, my Uncle Dan was on the Enterprise.

Please continue with your work and photos, I look forward to seeing/reading more.

Besides Steppenwolf, what else do you listen to (if any) while working on your bike? Tom Petty keeps me going.

Kev
Thank you for your support, BikeMaine. Life has a way of logjamming the river whenever a deadline is pursued, and we get sent out as busy little beavers to clear a passage. It is up to the ones in charge of us to keep the logs flowing once the jam breaks, otherwise we sit back on our fat tails and whittle sticks, imitating Grant in the Wilderness Campaign. We should really thank these that motivate us to do what we need to do until it is done. Morale and inspiration are top priority, and the music of Jimi Hendrix, early America, some Rolling Stones (Sticky Fingers), REO Speedwagon, Steely Dan; all these help boost my rockets into space...Beatles capsule on top. Thanks for the support....(don henley and the eagles, etc. stc....ad infintum)... :flamer SUNDANCE. :flamer
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

One piece of bad news first; No New Pictures, crying1 (sorry men and women[?]). :oops: We will have to crunch the word for now, but be elated! Progress moved only a little. After much bad weather, and then Easter (explaining: no reason to give bad luck a chance by pursuing own device) today broke sunny and clear. I had drunk(?)/drank(?) a gallon of milk and a liter of coke since last week anim-cheers1 , so I used the empty gallon and finished siphoning the tank, then sprayed WD-40 onto its insides :mrgreen: . Next I took the fuel sensor and cleaned it thoroughly, and rubber mounting gasket, and sprayed it also. Once this was complete I re-assembled the works into the tank action1 . From there I went to the local station and returned with $3.00 dollars worth of gas and poured it into the tank. :guitar I enjoyed the day; warm with a nice breeze and plenty of sun. Next on the memory list is a battery, 30 amp in-line fuse, fuel filter and hose, both from O'Reilly's, and some primer and black rust-oleum for the battery box. This will allow me to hear the engine and determine the next move...hopefully to warm it up enough to change the oil and filter, and possibly coolant. dancr But it is only :joker April 2, and I see no cause for staking the mud beyond my future vision devil1 . Hurry? haha...some of us have been trained to ask Why? (Summer comes!)...yeah, so it will...(And you can be out riding) party2 ....so, how do I know I will feel like that?...(Because!) idee2 ....then God willing, ask him to wait!
type1 Sundance... :flamer
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

raiddrten wrote:I have cleaned a few carbs-some with old and some with 10% ethanol. Give me the old varnishy [is that a word?] gas any day. Lacquer thinner, the main ingredient in carb cleaner, will dissolve the old crap into complete solution. The rotten smell goes with it, but still easier than dealing with the grey grainy stuff that settles out of the ethanol stuff. The dark color usually goes with non-ethanol gas, so I hope that it is what you have.

The ethanol gas if left sitting long enough seems to just wreck the zinc in the carb bowls and is much worse IMO. I am probably preaching to the choir here, but I think you need to pull those carbs. Gotta be tough without a garage. I have never pulled a set as my 'wing had the carbs off when I got it. That is not a good thing either because I wonder to what level OEM parts still exist on the bike. Gonna order Mike Nixon's book to understand things better and getting the book because I like manuals better than videos.

I wonder if you could get at the drain bowl screws to remove one and discover what may be inside that carb? Better yet would be taking off the bowl itself but I doubt that it is possible if they have sat for some time. I had to heat the bowl screws with a steam cleaner to get the drain screws out out.
:) raiddrten, I will certainly file this idea for future reference. After clearing the tank, I noticed its sides had once been coated, and it appeared intact and didn't flake upon touch. So for present purposes (see above) I reassembled it. As far as the carbs being part of the beauty of the bike design, of course it intrigues me, and my hesitation is due to my experience level, time-window, and general planning. But the idea you have submitted is very valid and will definitely be considered when I get that far. I dug up two pictures from the air cleaner, one that gives a hint of the plenum below. I will add these for focusing your interest, but the works here appear clean from this vantage point. It may not reflect what is further inside, but with the new fuel filter and gas, I hope it will run long enough to warm the oil and allow me some comfort that nothing major is wrong with its internals. Thanks for sharing here with me.
Sundance. :flamer
Attachments
Outer Air Box Cover.
Outer Air Box Cover.
CIMG4488.JPG (243.59 KiB) Viewed 166 times
Air Chute into Plenum.
Air Chute into Plenum.
CIMG4634.JPG (182.36 KiB) Viewed 166 times
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

When you do get ready to start it and although it's a bit of a hassle, I'd recommend pre-filling the float bowls. If it's been sitting long enough for them to dry out (aside from introducing a potential for clogged slow jets), you'll be grinding on the starter A LOT just to get the float bowls filled up.

An aux fuel hose running into the inlet from the source of your chosing would allow this "priming" operation. Note that it's not really a requirement, but your starter will thank you.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

desertrefugee wrote:When you do get ready to start it and although it's a bit of a hassle, I'd recommend pre-filling the float bowls. If it's been sitting long enough for them to dry out (aside from introducing a potential for clogged slow jets), you'll be grinding on the starter A LOT just to get the float bowls filled up.

An aux fuel hose running into the inlet from the source of your chosing would allow this "priming" operation. Note that it's not really a requirement, but your starter will thank you.
Allow me a beginner's question here, desertrefugee. Can I use a starter fluid sprayed into the plenum first, and if not just that, would it help as well with your suggestion? By putting gas (by which inlet?) into the bowls, don't I add the chance of over-filling and possibly making the floats stick?
Thanks, :flamer Sundance.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I am not a fan of ether (and other) starting fluids. They can sometimes cause more trouble. But, that's one approach. Even using starting fluid, I'll go out on a limb and say that you'll still be grinding a bit.

The fuel inlet is the hose running from the fuel pump on the right side of the bike to the inlet on the rear of the carb rack which points right. If the floats are all working correctly, there will be no overflow. They'll simply stop allowing fuel to flow into the bowl - it's what they do! If one or more is stuck, it will overflow regardless of how the fuel is introduced.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

desertrefugee wrote:I am not a fan of ether (and other) starting fluids. They can sometimes cause more trouble. But, that's one approach. Even using starting fluid, I'll go out on a limb and say that you'll still be grinding a bit.

The fuel inlet is the hose running from the fuel pump on the right side of the bike to the inlet on the rear of the carb rack which points right. If the floats are all working correctly, there will be no overflow. They'll simply stop allowing fuel to flow into the bowl - it's what they do! If one or more is stuck, it will overflow regardless of how the fuel is introduced.
So, by carefully adding fuel, and then reattaching the fuel line...one inlet feeds all four? How about the plenum. Is it possible to insert some fuel directly there instead? Thanks!
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

Here I see two of the inlets. I need to double-check but should not be too difficult. I thought I had some more photos, but...?
Attachments
Fuel Inlet Hoses (greenish).
Fuel Inlet Hoses (greenish).
CIMG4433.JPG (225.92 KiB) Viewed 159 times
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

You don't want fuel in the plenum floor. It belongs in the bowls until consumed INSIDE the individual carbs. Although the floor of the plenum should stay dry, there's plumbing cast into it (under the floor) that routes fuel to the individual carbs. Only a malfunctioning float/valve or dry, leaky plenum or carb body gaskets would allow fuel into the plenum floor.

Those yellow hoses are air lines - not fuel. As I noted above, the single fuel inlet runs between the fuel pump on the other side into the bottom of the carb rack.
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

Never too late when I hesitate. :dunno: Sorry for the 20 days gone by. I got 18 more to turn 64, and think about that Beatles song. So the Plenum is the viaduct allowing the carbs to breath. I am searching for a legal spot to drop off the couple gallons of gas. This whole deal here with my delivery and purchase is a secret beyond our property, NGWCLUB.com and MacArthur's Park. Now if put on the spot I will claim it as mine. It is no lie to keep my mouth shut. I just don't like the idea of going broadcast out there...they don't even know the Kawi was sold, unless the buyer spoke it, or the DMV was questioned. DMV would not allow me a search for the former history and I run classified advantages, so if someone wants to hear beyond its from above.
Sundance.... lolol That kind of nosiness is for groundhogs. Be a raccoon and come calling I will feed you some frito's give you some cola, and smoke a real cigarette with you....I just hate people tilling up the garden for flowers to set in the center of their dining table as a conversation piece. A sure waste of friendship. Later :horse: :blast
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

Did I fall down a rabbit hole or something??

Maybe, I just saw Tom Petty drinking from a GIANT teacup.....
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Naw, he's just back to his old self. And I kind of like it. Have no fear, stay tuned and we'll get to the heart of the matter.

Return to “Members Restorations and Projects”