PADDYWACKER YOGA

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Re: PADDYWACKER YOGA

Post by Sundance »

Funny thing how the memory works. On this date, 45 years ago I reported aboard the U.S.S. Nimitz to ready her for sea trials. I would be there on board for the next three months. There is a huge space between now and then. Today I resumed the leaf raking until the cold drove me indoors. The only difference between now and then, I get to call the shots. Back then it was the 'explain to the chain'. I like it better calling the shots, but then who doesn't? "My ice froze in my water jug. Time to take cover." :flamer :flamer ...Sundance... :flamer :flamer
type1 https://www.facebook.com/One.Ton.Ron action1
1984 KZ1000 P dresser, SOLD. anim-cheers1
"Imagination is a prerequisite for knowledge.
The artifact is needed to comprehend." :arrow: Sundance. :flamer :flamer
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

...thanks for your work on that flat top. Now that I've rehydrated, I'm headed back out to the garage...in my t-shirt.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

desertrefugee wrote:...thanks for your work on that flat top. Now that I've rehydrated, I'm headed back out to the garage...in my t-shirt.
I was lucky I found the window for delivery last week. Even if I can't proceed for the moment, it's not a loss as it could very well have been. Ah, envy...I think I will curl up and read some more. God's call.
:flamer sundance :flamer
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

Ah, the Park has been cleared of leaves. Tomorrow should be sunny, rain Monday, and Tuesday through Friday sunny and warm enough to get something done. I appreciate the patience onlookers have maintained the first ten days. Weather is crunching up time like a hungry kid at the breakfast table. Here is the Park today. :flamer
Attachments
CIMG4625.JPG
CIMG4625.JPG (280.14 KiB) Viewed 136 times
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

I also got an opportunity to clean the goodie tray last night. It had two old spark plugs, a case of 5 fuses, one electrical mount (?), plus this neat hidden compartment for three fuses.
Attachments
CIMG4615.JPG
CIMG4615.JPG (199.69 KiB) Viewed 136 times
Custom fit shag
Custom fit shag
CIMG4619.JPG (271.84 KiB) Viewed 136 times
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

Lastly today I photographed the Stator Wire (?) that runs from the points. I believe this was a newly added fix-up. I had noticed it earlier, and know disappears under the left cover below the seat. I haven't time to investigate it yet, nor have I double-checked on what it is actually called. At the moment it is inconsequential to progress, but I will be revising the nomenclature as I learn what is what. Hold you belly back from the guffaw. The paddywacker I shall keep on the bike and it shall forever be a paddywacker to me. Much obliged for the interest.
Attachments
This look new.
This look new.
CIMG4626.JPG (177.61 KiB) Viewed 134 times
The electrical mount.
The electrical mount.
CIMG4620.JPG (179.13 KiB) Viewed 133 times
Last edited by Sundance on Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Of course, the shag is period correct!
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

...and that wire from the points is factory.
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

desertrefugee wrote:...and that wire from the points is factory.
Looks new due to clean as a whistle. I was thinking maybe it was re-done with an original part, maybe?
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Oh! I see. I can't tell it's condition from the photo. I guess I was just commenting that the wire (or A wire) has always been there.
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

desertrefugee wrote:Oh! I see. I can't tell it's condition from the photo. I guess I was just commenting that the wire (or A wire) has always been there.
Excuse my pun, but my darkness does have some light...I see nothing missing or added from the bike, except maybe the fuel lines have been ty-wrapped on one port, and missing at the carb. Please, don't hesitate to chime in whenever...Hopefully I can explore under the left-side covers this next coming week. I am curious to know the condition of the electrical harness.
Thanks desertrefugee.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

In regards to the white wire and the electrical 'mount'... I noticed in a photo several pages back that the bike has yellow coils, which are aftermarket (possibly Accel brand?), and I believe the 'mount' is (yikes! I can't think of it's name!) part of the stock ignition, all of which leads me to guess that you've got an electronic ignition installed on the bike. Which, in and of itself, isn't a bad thing...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I took a tour down the Soudan Mine in Minnesota. 2340 feet below. The guide turned the lights off once we were in a back tunnel. She left them off quite a while as she tried to explain how difficult it was for the first miners. Finally she struck a match. I can assure you there is no light in the darkness there.

I thought the points wire looked a bit like a Dyna wire. Pull the two screws on that cover and you will see whether it’s points or Dyna. With the aftermarket coils you may not need the white ceramic ballast resistor, but with stock coils it is needed.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

I finally made some progress. Excuse my absence by weather and errands, and of course the Holy Temptation Day, which had been beautiful of course. I removed the left side cover and found a battery! I had been told there was none. Well, after adding 25 oz. of water, it is slowly charging at 2 amps in my place. I also went over to the other side and removed my radiator overflow flask, brought it back and emptied it (chocolate milk is the nearest description of it), and have cleaned it. Checking inside the fuel tank, I tried to get a picture inside, and you will see those results. I am rather pleased with it. All the fuses seem to be good. I pulled the air cleaner and the inside casing was dry and the air intake was clean, no scrunge. I will first post fuel tank, battery position w/wo the battery, air cleaner casing....and this will lead me to the electronics.
Attachments
Gas tank interior-1
Gas tank interior-1
CIMG4639.JPG (149.81 KiB) Viewed 99 times
air intake
air intake
CIMG4634.JPG (182.36 KiB) Viewed 99 times
Battery
Battery
CIMG4630.JPG (208 KiB) Viewed 99 times
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

Track T 2411 wrote:In regards to the white wire and the electrical 'mount'... I noticed in a photo several pages back that the bike has yellow coils, which are aftermarket (possibly Accel brand?), and I believe the 'mount' is (yikes! I can't think of it's name!) part of the stock ignition, all of which leads me to guess that you've got an electronic ignition installed on the bike. Which, in and of itself, isn't a bad thing...
Track T, I also was beginning to get suspicious of my ignition package as a result of closer inspection, though I really am unsure of what I see, (Ericheath-this time it is very dark!). I will post these following pictures to show what I have come to, and then I will surf over to tech tips and maybe the gallery and see what I can match up...these pictures are somewhat blurred. I haven't thought what to blame it on yet, so allow my apology to exist until then.... lolol
Attachments
CIMG4643.JPG
CIMG4643.JPG (212.04 KiB) Viewed 99 times
CIMG4645.JPG
CIMG4645.JPG (194.64 KiB) Viewed 99 times
CIMG4646.JPG
CIMG4646.JPG (205.63 KiB) Viewed 99 times

Return to “Members Restorations and Projects”