PADDYWACKER YOGA

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Re: PADDYWACKER YOGA

Post by Rat »

It's important not to let the smoke out ....

Gord anim-cheers1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

raiddrten wrote:
Track T 2411 wrote:
desertrefugee wrote:Fair warning: Post 175 shows two angles of a fuse block that's been bypassed (as in there's no main fuse for the bike). That's something that should be on your short list before applying juice.

I have a soft spot for the 78/79's and will help as much as I can - but there are some real gurus around here waiting in the wings.
+1 on the bypassed main fuse. It's the small black rectangular box with two heavy red wires on one terminal in that pic. Most people get rid of the old block and wire in a modern 30 amp blade type fuse holder. I believe there's a good how-to in ShopTalk...
As far as the rubber bits go, I've seen mink oil recommended, or products like Armorall, etc. I use the Armorall 'satin' as it's not as shiny (or slippery) as the regular stuff.
Yep.. and also when you first start evaluating the wiring use a 5 amp fuse to check for shorts. If the fuse makes a "crack' sound, you keep checking for the source of a dead short. Then if the fuse just melts , it is not a short but just carrying too much load. Going slow with little fuses and gradually increasing amps can save you magic smoke. DAMHIK.
So :!: I have been doing a bit of thinking whilst trying to keep in the smoke... lolol . I have put in the old battery that won't charge enough to start the engine, but will turn it over. :shock: No smoke so far :orange . I was wondering what reason the FTH had for bypassing the main fuse, other than the obvious, 'it kept overloading'. So if this dogbone is not cooked, an option is to wire it right and hope the faring electrics that were added is not too heavy...or, just crank it like it is and hope for the best :IDTS: . With the old battery, I have enough current (voltage) to run the lights, but not enough to engage the blinkers. I do remember the 'pigtail' wires that can get bypassed with the ??-A fuse (?) addition. This main fuse block is integral to the starter mechanism, so the rule of safety should specify some form of load-tripper...I stand in humble awe at the electrics right now, and surely want to avoid an accidental melt-down. I am figuring on building a diagram for positive input if possible, for without some form of tangible physics my thoughts are totally dispersed into the wind by every breath. I cannot prove things by rote only! One step at a time, allowing the second step to come even to the first, and progress will occur. I am excited with no negative emotion nor suspicious gut-feeling at all. I am ready to learn dancr .
.... :flamer Thank you all :flamer
type1 https://www.facebook.com/One.Ton.Ron action1
1984 KZ1000 P dresser, SOLD. anim-cheers1
"Imagination is a prerequisite for knowledge.
The artifact is needed to comprehend." :arrow: Sundance. :flamer :flamer
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Pretty simple matter to go down to your neighborhood auto parts store and pick up an inline 30A fuse. Just wire it between those two shorted red wires and you'll be all set. (At least for the fuse you will). But, at that point, at least you'll be safe enough to test all other systems without fear of burning something up.
Fuse.jpg
Fuse.jpg (19.68 KiB) Viewed 261 times
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

So it is 1 in the morning, Sunday and raining outside crying1 , so keeping true to my previous word, I punched out the rubber mounts on my battery box, cleaned the rubbers with soap and water, and beginning the prep to the metal...So what else can be done at this hour of day? lolol (future electrics of course). Besides this was just one hour of the day, from midnight on my previous post to now...Calling the Pace! :crosso eventually!
Attachments
CIMG4704.JPG
CIMG4704.JPG (251.75 KiB) Viewed 258 times
Clymer Man Braille.
Clymer Man Braille.
CIMG4707.JPG (205.91 KiB) Viewed 258 times
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

desertrefugee wrote:Pretty simple matter to go down to your neighborhood auto parts store and pick up an inline 30A fuse. Just wire it between those two shorted red wires and you'll be all set. (At least for the fuse you will). But, at that point, at least you'll be safe enough to test all other systems without fear of burning something up.

Fuse.jpg
I was thinking of maybe getting ahold of another main fuse and replacing it. Still I need to know why the FTH would bypass it. You say this 30 A is just a temporary fix for start-up procedures, and should be replaced, later?? (Thanks).
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

The wires leading to that fuse block are in atrocious condition; exposed wire in a few places, possible broken strands, and missing parts of the jacket. A Must Do...
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Factory dog bone replacements are all but impossible to find now. Installing a modern blade type inline 30 amp fuse is a common practice. As for why he bypassed it, my guess is it's simply because he couldn't find a replacement. I've pretty much rewired that entire area on mine as well. A lot of current runs through them, heat builds up, insulation breaks down. For forty years.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
raiddrten
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by raiddrten »

Hondas like high voltage, as in 12.6 volts in a fully charged battery. I have seen times when a battery will crank the starter and not putting out high enough voltage to make for a strong spark, so the bike will not start or if it does start, it runs rough.

What I do is use a very fresh 12 volt battery, fully charged, and get it out of a car if that is all i have. Of course you can really fry some wiring with all that reserve power. That is why you should go to Harbor Freight for a fuse assortment and put the smallest amp rating in there first to check the turn signals, lights, coils , Ect. Just think about house wiring and how there are various fuse amp ratings to protect the smaller wires and also to feed the bigger wires and there you are.I think Dansmc.com or someone does that with all his testing and that made a lot of sense to me.

When you have determined that all is well, step up the fuse to ten amps or so. Then 15 amps will probably run the starter with the spark plugs removed. Any problems that develop can then be addressed. I also took the time to make up some jump cables with car battery to motorcycle connectors for a proper full power jump.
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

Well, I am moving slower than a head of lettuce being chased by a box turtle. As the coming pics show, I removed the pin-hinge from the battery box, and sanded down all the easy to get to places. I will return to it with a stiff, thin shim to sand all the pita-points. Slow drizzle and rain has been steady readying our earth for this Spring, and should I complain? Even a widgeon of progress is better than none.
:flamer Sundance :flamer
Attachments
Hinge-pin removal.
Hinge-pin removal.
CIMG4711.JPG (268.94 KiB) Viewed 227 times
A widgeon.
A widgeon.
CIMG4712.JPG (257.89 KiB) Viewed 227 times
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

After much bad weather, being under the weather, and turning a lazy head for so, so long, I sold the Kawasaki 1000. Now that the added distraction is gone, the obvious worry of leaving something undone is gone too, and with a good deposit back into my account, and with weather that has to get better....maybe something soon will start to happen.
:flamer Sundance :flamer
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Looking forward to it. We can help!
raiddrten
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by raiddrten »

Glad to see you are back. That battery box is a pain. I am using electrolysis to get most of the rust off mine, but there is still a good deal of hand work. I also am using a product like this http://www.ospho.com/directions.htm. other companies make smaller sizes and even spray cans of essentially the same product, but I found a gallon for about 15 bucks at Home Depot

Phosphoric acid will prevent flash rusting after electrolysis and gets down inside the pits to neutralize the rust so hopefully the primer and paint sticks better. Body shops back in the day used it to pickle bare metal, but for all I know, the modern etching primers might do the same thing.
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

:flamer Always glad to hear helpful advice and willingness. I spent 4 wonderful hours with Nessie today, uncovering her for the first time in probably a month. Beautiful weather, a bit gusty, but nice. After sitting for sometime hypnotized by her unfathomable (to me) beauty and elegance, I removed the point-cover and took a photo. Replacing that cover, I moved on to the petcock and removed the fuel filter and fuel line to the fuel pump, opened up the gas tank and removed the fuel sensor, and proceeded to siphon nearly two gallons of old gas out. Using all my empty containers by that point, I had to cover my openings until I could come up with a couple more empty gallons. Now there was some cleaning in the midst of all this mesmerized action, and I finally picked a pace for satisfying the need to spend a beautiful day with a beautiful bike under the wonderful spring sun. Enjoy the pics to come, and hopefully this weather will be conducive to more hypnotic splendors. I took the time to re-cover her for the dusk at twilight. :flamer Sundance. action1
Attachments
The Beauty.
The Beauty.
CIMG4725.JPG (263.85 KiB) Viewed 153 times
The Points.
The Points.
CIMG4714.JPG (232.01 KiB) Viewed 153 times
The Stomach.
The Stomach.
CIMG4719.JPG (251.79 KiB) Viewed 153 times
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

Just a few more pics. The sensor, the fuel pump sans/line and filter, and the old gas. Meanwhile as another day shall come, I plan on cleaning the sensor, painting the battery box, buying a new battery/w swap, in-line fuse 30-amp, electronic spray cleaner (possibly), and impact driver along with whatever else I can think of for the moment, such as rustoleum paint. I must confess right here that I am not shooting for a show piece, and desire to allow the bike her own age of dignity without cosmetic overtones. Of course the rusty parts and deterioration will be amended, and safety regarded, but first things first, and eye-liner and mascara and basing compound for heavy painted make-up and lip gloss and all that mirror sitting...well, please be kind if the girl wants to be au naturelle!! Adieu.
Attachments
The Sensor.
The Sensor.
CIMG4717.JPG (226.36 KiB) Viewed 151 times
Fuel Pump.
Fuel Pump.
CIMG4722.JPG (218.56 KiB) Viewed 151 times
Old Gas.
Old Gas.
CIMG4726.JPG (257.05 KiB) Viewed 151 times
raiddrten
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by raiddrten »

So is the stuff in the coke bottle coke or old gas?????

Return to “Members Restorations and Projects”