PADDYWACKER YOGA

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Re: PADDYWACKER YOGA

Post by Sundance »

And to finish showing the upfront area, and the organized 'mess' of wires with the fairing.....
Attachments
12 volt regulator
12 volt regulator
CIMG4649.JPG (198.17 KiB) Viewed 170 times
CIMG4647.JPG
CIMG4647.JPG (187.73 KiB) Viewed 170 times
CIMG4644.JPG
CIMG4644.JPG (191.75 KiB) Viewed 170 times
type1 https://www.facebook.com/One.Ton.Ron action1
1984 KZ1000 P dresser, SOLD. anim-cheers1
"Imagination is a prerequisite for knowledge.
The artifact is needed to comprehend." :arrow: Sundance. :flamer :flamer
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

ericheath wrote:I took a tour down the Soudan Mine in Minnesota. 2340 feet below. The guide turned the lights off once we were in a back tunnel. She left them off quite a while as she tried to explain how difficult it was for the first miners. Finally she struck a match. I can assure you there is no light in the darkness there.

I thought the points wire looked a bit like a Dyna wire. Pull the two screws on that cover and you will see whether it’s points or Dyna. With the aftermarket coils you may not need the white ceramic ballast resistor, but with stock coils it is needed.
My previous pictures have shown the electrical detail upfront and now for the rear area, toward the battery position. These may also have a blur, so excuse my lack of finesse on this point. (By the way, there was a 5-fuse hatch covered holder up by the air cleaner that I didn't show.)
Attachments
Battery Box....
Battery Box....
CIMG4633.JPG (225.39 KiB) Viewed 169 times
....in rear of...
....in rear of...
CIMG4631.JPG (209.42 KiB) Viewed 169 times
....in front of.
....in front of.
CIMG4656.JPG (178.49 KiB) Viewed 169 times
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

The "chocolate milk" in the overflow does not sound encouraging. That has often been the description of coolant that has been contaminated with oil. For now, we'll concentrate on getting fire and fuel in the holes and worry about mixing incompatible fluids for later. Could be nothing. Could be extra work.

So far, the wiring harness looks relatively unmolested. But, I think Eric might be right - you could have a Dyna electronic ignition in there. Looks like one of their wire wraps by the left of the battery box.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

And now the little bit of cleaning I accomplished....
And that has brought me to a close of two full weeks of possession. God bless the weather anyway (don't go spitting into the wind), and the temptation which I denied, (oh what a beautiful day)...with the opportunity to see the new sunrise , (a sure paddywacker delight).... Amen. :flamer Sundance :flamer
Attachments
Behind the overflow...
Behind the overflow...
CIMG4661.JPG (222.84 KiB) Viewed 167 times
Drive shaft housing...
Drive shaft housing...
CIMG4659.JPG (168.34 KiB) Viewed 167 times
...and by the point cover for earlier  comparison.
...and by the point cover for earlier comparison.
CIMG4655.JPG (176.21 KiB) Viewed 167 times
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

desertrefugee wrote:The "chocolate milk" in the overflow does not sound encouraging. That has often been the description of coolant that has been contaminated with oil. For now, we'll concentrate on getting fire and fuel in the holes and worry about mixing incompatible fluids for later. Could be nothing. Could be extra work.

So far, the wiring harness looks relatively unmolested. But, I think Eric might be right - you could have a Dyna electronic ignition in there. Looks like one of their wire wraps by the left of the battery box.
Yes, desertrefugee, my mind swirled when I saw the chocolate color, and after em[tying it into a white milk half/gallon container (positive thinking) I smelled it closely but could not detect any foul or oily smell.
Edit: let me add...you mean this area here--->
Attachments
CIMG4657.JPG
CIMG4657.JPG (185.46 KiB) Viewed 166 times
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

The hinged metal retainer as well as the rubber bungee is intact and functioning properly...a plus. :-D
Though some rust exists, none of it is beyond sanding, priming and painting. anim-cheers1 But first things first, hopefully this battery will take a charge and then....I did notice in the oil cap reservoir, my little finger did not come out with any oil...a worry to me. I see no window anywhere. :?: :!: :!:
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

For a better indication of the anti-freeze color, I poured it into a clear coke bottle...
And I added a picture of the battery set-up being charged...
Attachments
That is coffee stain on the cloth...perspective.
That is coffee stain on the cloth...perspective.
CIMG4663.JPG (176.13 KiB) Viewed 166 times
CIMG4662.JPG
CIMG4662.JPG (174.4 KiB) Viewed 166 times
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

GOOD NEWS! I had a chance to check the anti-freeze condition in the radiator, and it was green. So I promptly re-tightened the wire clamps back onto the hose. I had answered my original question..."Why can't I?" Because the necks are too long. I have half good/bad news now. I put the battery back in after an all night charge, and....grrrr...grrrr...grrr...grr, and then after a moment of rest, repeat, repeat etc.(battery gone). Best News is I have some pictures of more previously unexplored areas of Nessie, (for all the viewers that is)...are we ready?? My neutral light and oil light work, and the starter....But those are covered by words....let's get to the pictures...YEA!!
Attachments
Looking forward w/o seat
Looking forward w/o seat
CIMG4671.JPG (225.1 KiB) Viewed 150 times
Under rear fender
Under rear fender
CIMG4669.JPG (186.64 KiB) Viewed 150 times
Upon the rear fender.
Upon the rear fender.
CIMG4665.JPG (235.05 KiB) Viewed 150 times
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

So now I am actually feeling very good about this phantom monster. All the secrets she has given up since I captured her have proven non-distressing, to put it in the best vernacular spirit I know, don't know...whatever, she has not dumped a terrible dilemma similar to a blind date that wasn't quite within my imagination...and me having no best buddy to ping her off on...so anyway, I feel as though I got what I paid for. I am not disappointed, et. al...just a couple more shots of those wires closer up, above and below....I must admit upon removing the seat and taking a peek at the front frame brace...wow!
Attachments
With a little crook here...
With a little crook here...
CIMG4673.JPG (178.14 KiB) Viewed 149 times
Unmolested merchandise!!
Unmolested merchandise!!
CIMG4672.JPG (217.78 KiB) Viewed 149 times
raiddrten
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by raiddrten »

In post #143, it looks like that corner in the wall could be used to support a hasty structure [at least] for your project, but that is just a guess. Pardon my thoughts, but having built new buildings and remodeled old ones, those thoughts are unavoidable

If you lived up here, I have some extra space in a dry garage that no one is using right now....

Lets just hope the good surprises keep coming to you...
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

raiddrten wrote:In post #143, it looks like that corner in the wall could be used to support a hasty structure [at least] for your project, but that is just a guess. Pardon my thoughts, but having built new buildings and remodeled old ones, those thoughts are unavoidable

If you lived up here, I have some extra space in a dry garage that no one is using right now....

Lets just hope the good surprises keep coming to you...
Raidderten, thank you for caring. Yes, there are some obvious plus points here, though outside. For instance, I have a solid concrete pad all around and a two-step porch 4 feet away from the right side. The wall is high enough to tarp cover the whole area with a couple of base/posts. At the moment I catch the afternoon sun, but also the wind. The cold will leave me here soon enough when my greatest obstacle will turn into heat. There should be a nice 8 week period or more between the two, with just intermittent rain showers...the storms begin at the end of May usually. I am off to Harbor Freight tomorrow for some necessary tools to hopefully get the project up and running. I am looking forward to it. Thanks...Sundance. :flamer
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

I had an opportunity to go to Harbor Freight today. I had lost all my tools 3 years ago during a job lay-off. SO.....
SHOPPING LIST-
12 piece cushion grip screw driver set.....$6.99.
3 piece adjustable wrench set.....$9.99.
36 piece SAE/Metric Long Hex Wrenches.....$7.99.
22 piece Full SAE/MM Combination wrench set....$17.99
64 piece 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, SAE/MM Drive Socket set....(20% off=$31.99).
1-- 5 and 3/4 Needle Nose Plier....$1.99.
1-- Snap Ring Pliers w/4 Heads....$4.99.
Subtotal=$81.93 plus $7.57 sales tax.
.............TOTAL= $89.50...........
Then we stopped off at Dollar General....
1 Quart 10W40 Motor Oil....$2.75.
Peak 50/50 Antifreeze....$9.95.
DG Auto Spray Lube- $2.00.
DG Alkaline AA-8 Batteries....$3.00.
.......Total after $1.64 tax=......$19.34.
I felt like a kid at Christmas time. I removed the battery from Nessie and plugged her up for another 4 hour 6 amp charge...maybe, just maybe it will hold. Unfortunately this week-end is calling for rain but as soon as another couple of hours appear with some blue windless sky I shall be prepared to advance a bit further. At the moment my plan appears to be adding enough oil to make sure the engine is lubricated, rigging up some way for fuel delivery, and cranking it. Plan plus one will be to get a proper oil filter and five quarts w/funnel...warm it up and change the oil. No pictures tonight. Sorry lads and lasses. A hearty adieu! :flamer ...Sundance... :flamer
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

What is the oil for? Not to put in a motorcycle engine with a wet clutch I hope.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

You’ll want to invest in some JIS screwdrivers. Every factory bolt uses them. They look like Phillips, but they are different and probably the reason they are chewed up so badly on most.

I noticed in the second pic at the top, your dogbone fuse is nonexistent. Most put a 30 amp blade fuse in there, or a breaker.
2FA9A251-8012-443E-B2F8-5E1E961D3723.jpeg
2FA9A251-8012-443E-B2F8-5E1E961D3723.jpeg (134.77 KiB) Viewed 116 times
Since your condenser is still wired up, you probably have points.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Good to see you're getting some cooperative weather - especially since you're working in it! We're here for you. Hundreds of years' Goldwing experience at your beck and call. (Of course, some of us were later to the GL party...)
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.

Return to “Members Restorations and Projects”